Regional??:
Cooma
Yass
Murrumbateman
Cootamundra
Quenbyean
Goulburn
Belco (eastlake?)

Would be cool to see a "super bowl" between premiers of regional and community. Do you think they should play Div 3 or Div 4?

No Queanbeyan or Eastlake , but there is a Tuggeranong side in regional .

southcab

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2008
yass
AFL Club
Carlton
Set until 3 days before round 1 when AFL Canberra change it perhaps? :think:
Round 1 April 13 one team from each division will have a bye ,then there's a general bye .So some teams will not play until the third round .At least that's my understanding of it. :)

matchday

Debutant
Apr 18, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Be interesting to see if Tuggeranong have the numbers for a third side . A lot must have happened since last year when they were forfeiting 2nd grade games . Murrumbateman will be interesting also there aren't to many clearances filed yet . Of those that have applied it looks like belco boys are no longer heading to Yass . Looking forward to season ahead .

southcab

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2008
yass
AFL Club
Carlton
Be interesting to see if Tuggeranong have the numbers for a third side . A lot must have happened since last year when they were forfeiting 2nd grade games . Murrumbateman will be interesting also there aren't to many clearances filed yet . Of those that have applied it looks like belco boys are no longer heading to Yass . Looking forward to season ahead .

Good chat match , Looking at the clearances the Belconnen boys are headed ANU direction . Hows the cats coming along under the new coach ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Who are Ainsley's guns? And what position are they?
Will they be worth the trip to watch them play the Swan's academy?

Brentford26

Senior List
Jun 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Surely just scrap the Regional grade that's being proposed and have two 10 team competitions. I get the whole 'game day experience' but from my experience when half the fours boys leave following their game anyway there is no game day experience. This means two 10 team competitions, play each other twice - 18 games play everyone home and away (no excuses for not making it or having a weaker draw) and have a top 6 for Finals. Pair Coota with Goulburn , Yass and Murrumbateman and Cooma and Belconnen. So say Ainslie vs Coota at Clarke in 3's and 4's play Goulburn at Goodhew, Anu plays Yass at Joe O'Connor in 3's and Murrumbateman at the Rec Park in 4's.

A lot of players are leaving the senior grades because it's stale, this is an opportunity for AFL Canberra to create an insanely good level of football below the top divisions. I know it won't happen, but one can wish and of course is all dependent on whether Cooma and Tuggeranong actually merge as well which has been the whispers.

Div 3
Ainslie
Adfa
Anu
Woden
Googong
Batemans Bay
Molonglo
Coota
Cooma/Tuggeranong
Yass

Div 4
Ainslie
Adfa
Anu
Woden
Googong
Batemans Bay
Molonglo
Goulburn
Murrumbateman
Belconnen

Hallstrom

Senior List
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
It's not so much the game day experience but about having enough volunteers. You need 2 water/runners, 2 managers, 2 goal and feild umpires(depending on who shows up from afl canberra). Numbers are already stretched thin fielding 2 sides and no one from the other team is available to help in the other grade.
It is doable, and for a couple or rounds a year probably not the end of the world, but the preference would be to avoid it if possible.

Aug 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surely just scrap the Regional grade that's being proposed and have two 10 team competitions. I get the whole 'game day experience' but from my experience when half the fours boys leave following their game anyway there is no game day experience. This means two 10 team competitions, play each other twice - 18 games play everyone home and away (no excuses for not making it or having a weaker draw) and have a top 6 for Finals. Pair Coota with Goulburn , Yass and Murrumbateman and Cooma and Belconnen. So say Ainslie vs Coota at Clarke in 3's and 4's play Goulburn at Goodhew, Anu plays Yass at Joe O'Connor in 3's and Murrumbateman at the Rec Park in 4's.

A lot of players are leaving the senior grades because it's stale, this is an opportunity for AFL Canberra to create an insanely good level of football below the top divisions. I know it won't happen, but one can wish and of course is all dependent on whether Cooma and Tuggeranong actually merge as well which has been the whispers.

Div 3
Ainslie
Adfa
Anu
Woden
Googong
Batemans Bay
Molonglo
Coota
Cooma/Tuggeranong
Yass

Div 4
Ainslie
Adfa
Anu
Woden
Googong
Batemans Bay
Molonglo
Goulburn
Murrumbateman
Belconnen
This is to logical

Whistling Willy

Debutant
Aug 25, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon

Div 3
Ainslie
Adfa
Anu
Woden
Googong
Batemans Bay
Molonglo
Coota
Cooma/Tuggeranong
Yass

Div 4
Ainslie
Adfa
Anu
Woden
Googong
Batemans Bay
Molonglo
Goulburn
Murrumbateman
Belconnen

Cooma and Tuggeranong merging? Will they go under the Cats colours or will they go under the Hawks colours?

Only thing I would change to your proposal would be swapping Belconnen and Cats/Hawks but I fear that regional grade will be back in full swing and a lot of players will not continue playing due to the travel that will be involved.

If Hawks do field a team I am looking forward to Friday night games making a return to the lower grades.

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Looks like 3s/4s/Women's 2 will start April 6 and mens/womens regional grades as 6 team comps beginning 27/28 April, after Easter.

All comps grand finals on 31 August.

Whistling Willy

Debutant
Aug 25, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Cats merging after winning a flag? Wow. Thought they had good numbers coming through their 17s as well?

Not sure how true this is. There must have been a big exodus for them to consider merging with Tuggeranong. Believe there was only had a handful of players from their 17's that played all season. Would be a shame to see them fold the year after winning a flag.

southcab

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2008
yass
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure how true this is. There must have been a big exodus for them to consider merging with Tuggeranong. Believe there was only had a handful of players from their 17's that played all season. Would be a shame to see them fold the year after winning a flag.

Tuggeranong have withdrawn there regional team.I don't know if that means Southern cats will pick up any of there players .So the 3rd grade regional consists of Coota ,Southern cats ,Yass ,Goulburn,Belconnen and Murrumbateman .Allegedly each team plays each other 3 times .First game is 27th of April .Threes and fours kick off 6 th of April .

Brentford26

Senior List
Jun 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Tuggeranong have withdrawn there regional team.I don't know if that means Southern cats will pick up any of there players .So the 3rd grade regional consists of Coota ,Southern cats ,Yass ,Goulburn,Belconnen and Murrumbateman .Allegedly each team plays each other 3 times .First game is 27th of April .Threes and fours kick off 6 th of April .

So it means potentially by the end of the season some teams could play five times in the regional grade. That'll really keep people in the game, it's the exact reason players are leaving the top competitions. Why would blokes from Coota who could get good coin in Farrer hang around?

I get the opposition that has been made by spreading resources thin for the two team clubs, but there has to be a better way then sending a club like Belconnen to the country every second weekend, strange how the addition of Murrumbateman sees a frankenstein competition created that only lasted one year previously. Don't get me wrong looking forward to the challenge, but just doesn't make sense.

Back