Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
That's a bullseye Hood007 - that's putting our best foot forward from the JLT.
Sav to relief Ruck allowing an extra runner , defence well balanced with only the 2 key talls and a pacy skilled forwardline :thumbsu:

We don't have one competent ruck, and the Premiership team showed the way last year in taking 2 rucks in.

Taking a Stanley, who is injury prone, or a Smith (out of favor), Fort (untested) or Abbott (relatively untested) on their own into a match with just Sav as back up is suicide.

Abbott can mark and kick goals. Stanley isn't completely useless forward. I would be taking both into matches, especially round 1 V Grundy where we need two guys to wear him into the ground, would be the better strategy.
If we had a Gawn or a NicNat or a Grundy you could take one in. We don't have that.

We don't have one competent ruck, and the Premiership team showed the way last year in taking 2 rucks in.

Taking a Stanley, who is injury prone, or a Smith (out of favor), Fort (untested) or Abbott (relatively untested) on their own into a match with just Sav as back up is suicide.

Abbott can mark and kick goals. Stanley isn't completely useless forward. I would be taking both into matches, especially round 1 V Grundy where we need two guys to wear him into the ground, would be the better strategy.
If we had a Gawn or a NicNat or a Grundy you could take one in. We don't have that.
Counter argument would be that the ruck is hardly a strength for us, we’re comparatively weaker than those with great rucks, so why take in 2 players not up to that standard?

Why take in two rucks not up to it?
Minimise our weaknesses by only taking one imo

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder

That's the setup though Collingwood go in small forward anyway so blic, sav can do some minutes if required.

Abbott will just get murdered anyway as the backup and spend 50% of his time on the pine.

It's been an Achilles heal for a while, but just the way geelong structures up I don't think you can play two ruckmen. The only way you would contemplate it would be if we had a quality player who could play forward. That way you can stretch a defence play 3 talls forward at times.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
My query is not so much with his athleticism, it his lack of smarts. DeGoey, in my opinion, is far more likely to turn Kolo inside out than say Stewart.

He is a very underrated defender kolo. He just isn't andrew mackie who had more strings to his bow. And a penetrating kick.

With so many mid-sized forwards playing at full forward now kolo's value to me is really high.

23 year old guy who plays key position then mid-sized forwards and can sneak on a wing. I really think he will surprise a few this year.

He seems to be in the gun this year because of the lack of JLT action and form.

These are his prime years right now

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Collingwood V Geelong ( simulation matchups )

Really difficult team to pick I had a lot of trouble in defence knowing Collingwood is very versatile. A lot revolved around M.Oconnor on team balance with bews and tuohy out he almost has to play. I just thought his JLT2 was a very under par performance to play round 1. I weighted that vs kolo and I put him in because just for the versatility down back too tall but what's new we lost domsy and gained blicavs back. Lachie Henderson JLT2 I felt was also just fair but too talented to leave out.

3 debutants clark, atkins, constable I can't play S.Selwood off zero JLT Guthrie will do some Tagging. All up 5 new faces round 1.

kolo v MOC ( the position I cannot work out) Constable, Atkins could also be around 22nd, 23rd man although I thought the first half of JLT2 revealed a few signs.

B. J.Henry H.Taylor J.Kolodashnij

J.Elliot M.Cox J.De goey

HB. T.Stewart M.Blicavs J.Clark

J.Thomas B.Mihocek j.Stephenson

C. J.Selwood T.Kelly S.Menegola

S.Sidebottom S.Pendlebury T.Phillips

HF. L.Dalhaus T.Hawkins B.Parfitt

J.Crisp D.Moore J.Howe

F. G.Ablett Esava G.Rohan

B.Maynard J.Roughead T.Langdon

Foll. Stanley P.Dangerfield M.Duncan

B.Grundy D.Beams A.Treloar

Inter.
C.Constable L.Henderson

T.Varcoe B.Siers

C.Guthrie T.Atkins

J.Aish Greenwood

Emg. O'Connor Miers Fort Q.Narkle
S.Selwood ( VFL )

Last edited:

roz1812

Debutant
Mar 14, 2019
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Cam Guthrie has to play on Elliot. As agile as Henry is, still seems a bit quick for him. I think you have to drop either Hendo or H Taylor due to the Pies forward set up. Henry can easily play on Mihochek who is their 2nd tall when he comes on or even De Goey.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Just thinking about 2 rucks argument for a minute. Sav is clearly getting a game based on his abilities forward and pinch hitting in the ruck. I definitely think he deserves it imo btw. but I'd like to present an alternative structure if/and when we need to give Sav a break.

In one of Stanley's last games for St. Kilda he tore Fremantle a new one, leading at the ball into space. It is my opinion when he's taking a spell from the ruck the 666 structure will really suit him. Of course he only gets a chance to showcase those skills if we win the center clearance and get it to his lead quickly. (Don't forget stanley is quick, he won the GF sprint one year) So someone like Smith, Abbot, or Fort would need to be in form to the point where Stanley could act as the 2nd ruck.

Just to re-iterate so I'm not misunderstood. I think Sav and Stanley have earned first bite at their respective cherries this year, and I am very excited to they can both produce this year. They both played some great games last year, all we need is some consistency from them and we have a very dangerous pairing stepping on the field next friday.

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd prefer Zuthrie over both O'connor and Clark for round 1. He looked good in the JLT I thought.
So much disdain for O'Connor.
He is being selected
Clark is also being selected.
Elliott or degoey would be too strong for Zuthrie.He needs 2 years to develop a man's body. I agree he has talent and composure but needs to pump weights hard for a long period of time.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The myth that Zuthrie needs to magically turn into the Hulk keeps on keeping on.
He played well in the JLT.
It will be form that keeps him in or out.
How is it a myth. He needs strength or he will just continually get pushed off the ball. He doesnt need to be josh hunt, but he should at least be andrew mackie as a bare minimum.

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
O'Connor is a much better defensive prospect than Zac Guthrie IMO. And it is not about weight or size.

Zac's much lauded 'composure' is fine but he lacks defensive instincts, sometimes the situation requires you to aggressively intervene to stop a goal, he doesn't seem to understand defensive desperation needed at top level. A similar problem plagues his brother when he plays deep in defence (I like Cam on a wing mind you).

O'Connor I think has that. Bews has it, but not much else. Stewart has it and everything else. Clark showing glimpses of it early on too, my favorite play of his in JLT was a flying spoil in back pocket V Eagles.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
How is it a myth. He needs strength or he will just continually get pushed off the ball. He doesnt need to be josh hunt, but he should at least be andrew mackie as a bare minimum.
It's overblown, like many things that get repeated over and over.
It's the same thing was said of Mackie for years and years.
Show me the instances where he has been "continually pushed off the ball".
There must be plenty to choose from?

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I think 20-25 is about right. Imo he should be looking at goal assists and tidy i50 entries more than just going for goal himself. Would be the perfect high half forward/link player.
I think he may surprise many.
Leading into open spaces. He said he had sought advice about forward play from GAS.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics

With respect Max watch the first game v Tigers last season
Tigers isolated Zuthries and his opponent at HFF and played through them for 3-4 entries in a short space of time - Zuthrie battled hard but lost each one on one. Great coaching by Hardwick.
I am a wrap for Zuthrie as he kid can play but he does need work on his core strength - which will come with another few preseasons

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Dislocated finger should be ok. Usually they will pop it back in and they will be fine. Unless it's real bad and damages something. Even a jab should be enough to keep any pain down and he should be ok to play. Still has a week to recover.

Yeah - you'd think he'd be OK provided it isn't fractured or broken as well.
Very relieved it's only a finger to be honest..................

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Just go back and watch any game he has played. Mackie was leaps and bounds ahead of Zuth in terms of smarts. 3 inches taller and longer limbed too. He was smart enough to not need to be big. I don't have the same thoughts on Zac, cause he is still way smaller than even Mackie was and doesn't have the smarts. It's not a massive issue, it won't be the end of him if he doesn't get bigger and stronger, but he needs some more beef to be a more effective player.

In a one on one vs Roughhead i know i'd rather have mackie defending than Zuth. Might not be strong enough to engage in wrestling but mack was 6 ft 4 and had long arms to get a spoil.

In all fairness to Zuth I don't recall much of Mackies early years, just the middle to late years of his career where he was a very experienced player that Zuth hasn't had the chance to be yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back