Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure its worth the effort but here goes.

AS to how is he "a proven AFL grade player - well Rowe did his ACl in 2017 came back in round 5 last year and then played 17 of the last 18 games of the 2018 AFL season for a total of 99 games of AFL.

As to the "numerous rookies and Mature Age Recruits that will be playing AFL that will allready be superior talents than Rowe." - what do you reckon we should drafted one of them instead of Rowe - hey hang on already "playing AFL" - want explain how we might manage that?

As to the "not sure what you are getting at with the Sunday comment" - dunno mate maybe it was in response to this - "I'll head down the GFL or BFL and watch a few praccy matches on the weekend and find a half dozen better than Rowe to if you would like."
Ok you've convinced me. Sam Rowe is not a potato... stoked to have him on board

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apparently we did have a look at Rowe earlier on in the pre-season.

So he was on our radar and guess that's why we were comfortable making the call so quickly.
I'd say his selection is no different to when we took Matty Clark under RTB.

A pure "break glass in case of emergency" player.

He hasn't been picked to be our number one kpf.

If our injuries hold up, he will have a fun year at Sandy.

Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Its not as if we used pick one on him.

I'd say his selection is no different to when we took Matty Clark under RTB.

A pure "break glass in case of emergency" player.

He hasn't been picked to be our number one kpf.

If our injuries hold up, he will have a fun year at Sandy.

Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Its not as if we used pick one on him.

Wow is that a good comparison. Who was Clarke the backup for ,Barry Brooks?, Hackland had already left. Or didn't we know Gardiner would be sitting that season out.? ( We could have got Jack R, and Goldstein with the Armitage and Howard picks in that draft ).
Clarke played round 1 and half the season.
He managed to average 2 more hitouts per game than Rix and way less disposals.
Round 1, Clarke 12 hitouts, Rix 7 ewwww.

Kosi and Blake did just as well in the ruck as Clarke and better around the ground.

Im fine with Rowe.

He is a senior body that can play either end of the ground and pinch in the ruck.

Back - Brown, Joyce, Austin, Battle (Wilkie, Marsh, Rowe, Carlisle)
Forward - Bruce, Membrey, Marshall, Battle (King, Rowe, McCartin)

He really is just coming in as a depth player with a senior body.

If our backline goes down he is there. If we need a body in the ruck just to compete he is there. If we need a tall forward to bomb on the head while Acres and Gresham are in the midfield then he is there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My read on it is the club has done Robbo a solid by retaining him on the list instead of forced retirement. Ensures Robbo gets 100% 2019 salary & not a percentage.

Any chance he can sneak another 9 games sitting on the bench to get him to 100? :huh:

Any chance he can sneak another 9 games sitting on the bench to get him to 100? :huh:

I hope Sam Rowe has tall, athletic, masculine sons who want to play for the Saints because that's where dad played his 100th game :p

Crappy news re Robbo and for us.

Obvious move is to bring D-Mac back in, which releases Webster to play the role Robbo was playing.

Jimmy didn't get anywhere near as much ball in the two JLT games as he usually did last year, and that's presumably because he was playing the more accountable role D-Mac was playing last year.

So while it's a very long way from ideal to lose Robbo, Jimmy is a very handy replacement for him, and Dan is a handy replacement for Jimmy.

Need Coff to step it up pretty quickly, ideally. He's the one that could be as good as Robbo down the track.

To be fair, it was the Carlton B&F. My laundry basket could have been in their top 10.
Calm down fella. Turns out story was false.

Website now updated

2d1qu77.jpg

Rowe makes sense. If we lose Brown for games against anyone but Gold Coast we'd potentially be in big strife without someone like Rowe as insurance.
Yeah really, it seems a bit over the top for people to be complaining about us picking up a seasoned player as a free backup in case we end up being even more light on for key defenders than we already are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back