Society/Culture Christchurch Mosque mass shooting

May 6, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Muslim commits terror act: Blames the Muslims.
RWNJ commits terror act: Blames the Muslims.

Keep on fighting the good fight.

As opposed to

Muslim commits acts of terror: Blame everyone but Muslims
RWNJ commits act of terror: Blame everyone within 10 postcodes of his politics.

It's s**t that i need to point this out to you, guy was a dickhead as every mass shooter previously including muslims and ISIS. Politicising these actions is nothing new either.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
I thought that was the guy who drive by afterwards saying he was the there to celebrate. I don't think he was the shooter, but he may have had knowledge of the attack.
Cheers for this info. I (stupidly enough) watched the video, and the SUV this particular arrest was associated with is pretty much identical to the one the bastard was driving to/from the scene.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes. As long as fringe idiots like you stop being fringe idiots like you.

You're an ethnic nationalist. It's ethinic nationalism that causes this s**t.

There is only one race, and its Homo Sapiens and we share the same ******* planet. Once you accept that reality, then s**t gets a whole lot easier to live with.
We are a species that has spent most of its existence in conflict with one another over resources, with cultural differences usually being the dividing line. The peace of the present has come at a time of an enormous resource bounty (fossil fuels). What happens when that ends?

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
For those of you that wonder why I'm harder on RWNJs on this site so it doesnt turn into the cesspit that is 4chans Pol boards, now you know why.
Half the board is ignores all this, and thinks the rag tag uni students who yell at at a group with a growing body count are the real threat.

It's a charade. Their sympathies with this type of thinker is apparent.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Indeed.

Well yeah the broader issues and conflicts do deserve our attention, no doubt. But when i see things like this I'm like it's 99% nutbag, 1% <insert cause here>

If we want to learn about these movements, the ramblings of an outlier aren't where I'd be looking.
Of course, he'll be a footnote somewhere alongside Dylan Roof and the Columbine kids.

It's bizarre to see it become widely embraced unironically by the W.S.. As far as I'm aware it started out as a really niche joke for the medieval political strategy game Crusader Kings 2. Good game, but goes to show you can't make a game which lets you play out wiping out Islam without attracting questionable types.

Same deal with any game that lets you play as a Nazi. I'm sure if the US didn't wipe out the Native American population so thoroughly playing Cowboys and Indians would be some sort of rallying cry for mass shootings.

I thought it was a polandball thing.

May 6, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
For those of you that wonder why I'm harder on RWNJs on this site so it doesnt turn into the cesspit that is 4chans Pol boards, now you know why.

Thank god not all mods are like you shame most mainstream sites are moderated like that though. You will create this problem by forcing nutjobs out of the political mainstream. Debate is war with words, when you can't debate because you get banned from every mainstream point you end up in the cesspools of the internet where people egg each other on.

If you want less of this engage in the conversation don't shield one side from the other, if as we all hope the ideas of moral right and basic human dignity are the correct ones they will carry the day. Call me racist every time i bring up an issue well you may find its what I become.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
You cant acknowledge one extreme as you did without the other. They feed off each others hatreds. My point. They are all nutcases.

Both follow right wing ideologies. Islamic fundamentalism and ethnic nationalism.

Next time you want to hang s**t on all muslims for the acts of a radicalized minority, bear in mind s**t like this from a radicalized member of your own ideology.

This is where far right wing s**t leads to. It's why I have little time for those that advocate its core arguments.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
What do you suggest - not reporting on it?
I agree with Murakami's take on terror attacks expressed in Underground.

Focus on the victims, the impact on their lives and somewhat bury the perpetrator(s). That doesn't mean ignore the hows and why's, but ghoulish media attention given to their manifesto, personality and ideas should not take precedence over the human cost of the tragedy. When you contextualise an event like this within it's victims, give them a face or a voice, the cost is felt by the wider public. That is important.

Has anybody been so unwise as to ask what Fraser Anning thinks of all this?
Maybe people will start to understand the dangers of using the term 'final solution' in context of 'solving a problem' concerning any kind religious or ethnic group. It tends to look a bit ugly when someone does.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree with Murakami's take on terror attacks expressed in Underground.

Focus on the victims, the impact on their lives and somewhat bury the perpetrator(s). That doesn't mean ignore the hows and why's, but ghoulish media attention given to their manifesto, personality and ideas should not take precedence over the human cost of the tragedy. When you contextualise an event like this within it's victims, give them a face or a voice, the cost is felt by the wider public. That is important.
It's not really "the media" though. This stuff was all over Twitter within minutes.

Back