Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - Thursday 21st March 7:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1412

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you continue to maintain that three goals is not better than one. How very odd.

And you're still calling one player by his first name and the other by his surname. Without being biased, apparently.

Wriggle as much as you like. Every player in our JLT midfields gave us cause for optimism. You want to dump one of them on the basis of Silvagni having one good game in the VFL. And on the basis of that one good game in the VFL you argue that Silvagni, on demonstrated form, is ahead of THE BEST player in the VFL for the past two seasons. Week in week out.

Gibbons has earned his shot, and one quiet game as a small forward doesn't change that.

Perhaps you should look up the definition of the word "Similar" 4 tackles is better than 3 but they are "similar", 3 scoring shots is better than 2 but they are "Similar".

As for the name, "Jack" is shorter than "Silvagni", "Michael" is not Shorter than "Gibbons" - nothing more to it than that - but again that is easier for you to argue than my actual points.

"Gibbons has earned his shot" based on being the best player in a competition in which Nick Graham dominated?

And again form is just 1 of a number of reason why I would go with Jack over "Michael" but it is the one you are fixated on because you think 3 goals in 1 JLT game is enough to "earn" a spot against the Tigers.

Like Gibbons?

The argument being pushed by others for Gibbons is that he will play the vast majority as a small forward. I would prefer to play the likes of Murphy, SPS, Fisher, Dow, Walsh and Jack who will play the majority in the middle.

The argument being pushed by others for Gibbons is that he will play the vast majority as a small forward. I would prefer to play the likes of Murphy, SPS, Fisher, Dow, Walsh and Jack who will play the majority in the middle.

Of those players, it's only Jack whose role / spot as a midfielder is questionable.

Question is, do we want to remove one of Murphy, SPS, Fisher, Dow or Walsh (re: Dow / Walsh, they've had limited time if at all in a small forward role) from the midfield so we can fit in Jack into the midfield?

Or go with a guy like Gibbons, who hasn't done his chances any harm in the role which we asked of him and a position of need.. oh, but also, he has more credential as a midfielder (at VFL level), than the player who we're trying to create a spot in the midfield for, who hasn't been able to cement his spot as the small forward?

I agree. Be interesting to see a comparative work-up of his kicking distances. A lot of short stuff but that's a positive if it means we keep possession. Crazy thing is he has so much time he can set up a card table and work out his next half dozen options on a piece of paper before executing - silk is silk........

I like our midfield compared to last year, Walsh and Setterfield are quality ins.

The backline has been hit by injuries but Weitering and Jones are providing stability.

Really thought our forward line would be further progressed. Really pleased with Harry and Cuninghams development BUT disappointed with McGoverns form, and not sure about Ed up forward. Also not impressed with the leading patterns or the repeated bomb to 20m out - sure it can be a tactic but not every entry. Coaches have to figure this out, Murphy needs to lower his eye and forwards need to lead, lead lead even if not rewarded - do it for your fellow forward.

Get Marchbank or Willo back in a few games and we will be a better team.
Round 1 we will have to utilise Plan B going into our forward line or hope Harry, Gov and Charlie hold onto a few more grabs.

If i was to plagiarize any post it would be this one.:thumbsu:

Fasolo the leading and marking target.
Murphy the clever crumber and sneaky goal-kicker.
Cuningham with the speed on a lead, along with being the pressure forward. Can kick a goal, also.

That's the three I'd have as starting forwards and OK, along with ECurnow and then the mids mixing it up through there, also.

I like it .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Perhaps you should look up the definition of the word "Similar" 4 tackles is better than 3 but they are "similar", 3 scoring shots is better than 2 but they are "Similar".

As for the name, "Jack" is shorter than "Silvagni", "Michael" is not Shorter than "Gibbons" - nothing more to it than that - but again that is easier for you to argue than my actual points.

"Gibbons has earned his shot" based on being the best player in a competition in which Nick Graham dominated?

And again form is just 1 of a number of reason why I would go with Jack over "Michael" but it is the one you are fixated on because you think 3 goals in 1 JLT game is enough to "earn" a spot against the Tigers.
Please outline your other reasons then?
Using scoring shots rather than goals scored and then form from a VFL praccy match as justification for JSOS, just seconds after sneering at those who have consistently excelled at the same level isn't exactly a strong argument.

Moving forward, how nice is it to actually have these sorts of dilemmas around team selection, it means that players will need to remain committed week in, week out to maintain their spot, which can only be a good thing for our team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 scoring shots is better than 2 but they are "Similar".

Three goals is vastly superior to 1.1. Not similar at all.

That's actually Silvagni's problem in a nutshell. He is a poor converter of quite easy shots, and the more important the moment the more likely he is to miss.

Nobody would give a s**t that he doesn't rack up big numbers, or that he aint exactly quick for a guy his size if he was a finisher. He does have the happy knack of finding the ball at big moments in the game. And the unhappy knack of then butchering it.

If he could slot it at even close to the reliability of Breust or Gunston he'd never have been out of the team.

You're contradicting your own argument. Which is that Silvagni should not only come into the seniors but also displace one of the incumbent mids - none of whom deserve to be dumped at this point. All that based on one solid game in the very same competition you are sneering at.

last time I got back from a trip to the punt road board......

mud-shower-after-the-race-was-over-it-was-time-to-shower-and-wash-off-all-that-mud-installing-mud-base-shower-pan.jpg

Golden shower,
hope you weren't Bubbling!!

What's up with the Richmond board? Wanted to have a look at their preview thread to get an idea of their thoughts. They've only got a banter thread full of memes...

Can someone please provide some feedback on SPS kicking. From what little I saw in the last 2 JLT games he seems to be moving around a lot better. I also noticed he was still doing his short chip kicking. I would like to see some longer penetrating kicks from him. Thanks in advance.

Yeah long sharp passes like jones in the backline When on song . Not loopy get ur teammates into trouble kicks and hand passes. We will arrive there for the better .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

"8 midfielders (Cripps, Murphy, Curnow, Dow, SPS, Fisher, Setterfield, Phillips) and a couple in defence and up forward (Simpson, Garlett, Thomas, Gibbons, Cuningham, Fasolo, McKay)" Not planning on playing Walsh?

If you have a quality small forward I would agree you don't need the extra ability to rotate through the middle, but when you have our quality small forwards they really need to be able to rotate through the middle.

"Cripps is probably going to spend 20 minutes outside the center bounce. Hardly worth it bringing a player in to play those 20 minutes." 20 minutes is close to 20% of the game, that is a significant portion. just think how many goals we got kicked on us in the last 5 minutes of the quarter last year.

Good call. I knew I forgot someone, yes clearly Walsh is in there. So that's 9 mids and 7 players capable of having short spells in the midfield. Absolutely no need to add another player to that team who's form is not up to it, who has limitations and who is on the bottom of that list of mids at the moment who is a centerman and only a centerman. At this stage Kennedy is depth. I think he needs to develop his game to break in such as becoming a tagger similar to Cameron Ling or he waits for some of those mids to drop off.

That's got nothing against Kennedy being crap. It's because Cripps will play most if not all the quarters on the ball. Murphy is fit. Curnow is fit. Dow is coming on in maturity. Setterfield is a good recruit. SPS is really stepping up his game and maturity. Fisher is at a stage where he is a mature and very good player and Walsh has come in and is a very rare talent. Team is full, you aren't going to drop any of those players. You picks your best 7 forwards, 7 defenders and the rest mids and Kennedy misses out IMO. O'Brien is another who is on the outer a bit too at the moment who is a quality player. This is what happens when young guys come on and you have a good run recruiting.

There were no signs of stoppage clearance issues in the JLT. If anything Collingwood exposed us for run a bit but even so we finished off strongly.

Those 20 odd minutes Cripps will spend elsewhere are easily covered. It's not 2018 anymore.

Gibbons is capable of rotating through the midfield, that's what he is. We're playing him forward because we have a hole there and we can see he has potential for that role. Three goals against Essendon shows he's capable but he needs time to settle in. The idea of getting instant results is a pipe dream.

I'd rather we work on developing Gibbons and our small forward brigade than unnecessarily play an extra mid we don't really need and go without those potential small forwards.

9 midfielders, 7 guys capable of playing minutes and we have people wanting to play a fringe mid and go with one less forward? We'd have to throw Murphy or Curnow forward for big minutes and I can't see us doing that when they are too valuable in the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back