A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Liberals and Nationals just got handed their arses in the House of Representatives over Medivac Bill. First time a Government has been defeated in the House in such a manner since Stanley Melbourne Bruce was schooled in 1929. He called an election the next day. Go on Morrison. I dare you!
Not quite. This one was pretty significant as well!

Hopefully the outcome is similar.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Yer, I very rarely watch the news (I have tonight) or follow politics at all, I have heard of Anning but only in the periphery of my awareness, that tweet he sent out was an abomination.

Yer, I very rarely watch the news (I have tonight) or follow politics at all, I have heard of Anning but only in the periphery of my awareness, that tweet he sent out was an abomination.
Tweets, plus a press release. Which concluded with him literally quoting Jesus to justify the terrorists' actions.

It's well past time. He needs to write the rest of his kampf from inside a prison cell. Except, unlike his idol, they should toss the key.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
I wouldn’t piss on Fraser Anning if he was on fire. Human trash.

Should be in a jail cell.
People will try to call it senseless violence etc as usual, but the reality is that Islamaphobia has been repeated and amplified for two decades now by people across public life, and not just on the right of politics either. White supremacy is rife, very few people understand how widespread it is on the internet. People are subject to constant bombardment with suggested links to overtly white supremacist content, or just entrees like Jordan Peterson, Joe Rogan, Pewdiepie, Ben Shapiro etc.

Meanwhile the 'mainstream' of politics will decry the violence and take no responsibility for their own complicity in allowing this state of affairs to come to be. After all, who's profited electorally by promoting fear of brown terrorists and immigrants? This couldn't have happened without the culture of permissiveness in politics, the media and society at large. Parts of QLD are full of people who hate Muslims and own guns. That's ******* terrifying, but it also has to be viewed in the wider context of how this country and the west in general treat Muslims and other groups viewed as undesirable. All that despite the fact that these 'undesirable' people often came fleeing the effects (recent or longer standing) of colonisation and war perpetrated by those same western nations.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tweets, plus a press release. Which concluded with him literally quoting Jesus to justify the terrorists' actions.

It's well past time. He needs to write the rest of his kampf from inside a prison cell. Except, unlike his idol, they should toss the key.

Just read his press release. Wow. It will be a sad state of affairs if he is re-elected. Hadn't heard too much about him until he was in the news coming down to an anti-immigration rally (I think). Soo, just curious. Is he a senator from north Qld? Somewhere up near Bob Catter?

Just read his press release. Wow. It will be a sad state of affairs if he is re-elected. Hadn't heard too much about him until he was in the news coming down to an anti-immigration rally (I think). Soo, just curious. Is he a senator from north Qld? Somewhere up near Bob Catter?
(recall that senators are statewide)

Elected on the One Nation ticket, replacing another One Nation senator deemed ineligible under S44. Sat as independent then joined Katter before being expelled, a few months later, for Naziism.

Perfect exemplar of Australian politics rn.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
(recall that senators are statewide)

Elected on the One Nation ticket, replacing another One Nation senator deemed ineligible under S44. Sat as independent then joined Katter before being expelled, a few months later, for Naziism.

Perfect exemplar of Australian politics rn.

Whoops. Got a little carried away there, nothing wrong with Nth Qld. Carry on . I blame the Friday knockoff beers.

Thanks for the run down of his decorated history. Hopefully his career is short lived.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
I’m sickened by today’s tragedy, but I don’t think it’s fair for the media to put conservatives in the same category as these extreme right wing monsters.

We’re not the same.

Ben Shapiro and Steven Crowder are two incredibly intelligent conservatives that would never condone these acts of violence. In fact, they’re hated by the same right wing ‘nazis’ the shooter associated himself with.

I’m sickened by today’s tragedy, but I don’t think it’s fair for the media to put conservatives in the same category as these extreme right wing monsters.

We’re not the same.

Ben Shapiro and Steven Crowder are two incredibly intelligent conservatives that would never condone these acts of violence. In fact, they’re hated by the same right wing ‘nazis’ the shooter associated himself with.
You can do conservatism without this sort of thing...
firefox_2019-03-15_10-50-57.png

... but it order to do that you actually must do conservatism without that sort of thing.

If you sow the wind you are, in point of fact, responsible for the whirlwind.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
View attachment 635689

... but it order to do that you actually must do conservatism without that sort of thing.

I don’t agree with a lot of what Morrison says. Does that make me less of a conservative?

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
View attachment 635689

This is just politics full stop though. Whatever angle they think they can manipulate to their advantage. They will do & say whatever it takes to get in or stay in parliament. .Stop the boats / Immigration fears, or Mediscare, they're all doing the same thing,

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
All that despite the fact that these 'undesirable' people often came fleeing the effects (recent or longer standing) of colonisation and war perpetrated by those same western nations.

I live here in Katter country. The racist s**t isn't as prevalent as you might think amongst the general population, but there was a mailout from KP last year which contained a loose leaf diatribe against immigration...straight out of a 1904 newspaper, just breathtaking in its draconian stupidity. Anning was defended by Katter the last time, and after yesterday's events I'll be asking Shane Knuth, the local KP rep, where he stands on this if we cross paths again...have run into him a couple of times, and it's he doesn't remember me because he introduces himself before telling me he played 97 A-Grade games for Wynnum...some convo every time, and he doesn't realise he's not talking to a born and bred local who gives a f###...! KP booted Anning out of the party in October last year because of the racism, and now he's an independent...make no mistake, it's a public face, because Bob himself agrees with the sentiment...

I'm "breathlessly" awaiting the right media's take on this, people like Andrew Bolt and whichever fat bald white knob is hosting his own current affairs show on Sky. The defence is something along the lines of Anning's, where he says "invasion" is the reason for an "understandable reaction". Muslims have been saying exactly the same thing for decades, under the thumb of the white capitalist west ever since oil became a thing...wonder how these f###s will spin it...

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
People get outraged so often these days about every little thing that happens, half of it irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. The internet has made a lot of people get a perverse joy out of finding things to be outraged about.

This event though, the attack itself, the motives behind the attack, the live streaming of it, the cruel, calculated responses of people like Anning - this is sonething to be truly outraged about. All of us. Truly outraged.

It is rare that I deliberately avoid the news but this is one such occasion when the alternating emotions of anger, sadness, despair and genuine, unformed, helpless outrage make it almost too much.

The whole right side of politics stands condemned if it doesn’t publicly and deliberately oust these people from their parties and their social discourse. To indulge it even a little bit, even casually (I’m looking at you especially, Katter, you anachronistic scumbag) is to ultimately silently sanction it.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

We’re not the same.

It's entirely fair if this is the sort of slime you view as 'incredibly intelligent'.
Lmao Joe Rogan a white supremist is the best thing I’ve read all day
I just knew you'd be a fan of the show :drunk: I have no idea what he believes, I'm sure he thinks he's 'just asking questions'. The point is that he uncritically promotes the ideas of very dangerous people like Gavin McInness (a white supremacist who started a ******* vigilante group). "Oh, so you want to beat up black people? That's so interesting. Have you ever smoked dmt?" Like Joe, his braindead fans are often incapable of critical thought. Not hard to see how they'd be drawn further into alt-right and worse content, which is exactly what the youtube algorithm will recommend to people who watch rogan videos.
I live here in Katter country. The racist s**t isn't as prevalent as you might think amongst the general population, but there was a mailout from KP last year which contained a loose leaf diatribe against immigration...straight out of a 1904 newspaper, just breathtaking in its draconian stupidity. Anning was defended by Katter the last time, and after yesterday's events I'll be asking Shane Knuth, the local KP rep, where he stands on this if we cross paths again...have run into him a couple of times, and it's he doesn't remember me because he introduces himself before telling me he played 97 A-Grade games for Wynnum...some convo every time, and he doesn't realise he's not talking to a born and bred local who gives a f###...! KP booted Anning out of the party in October last year because of the racism, and now he's an independent...make no mistake, it's a public face, because Bob himself agrees with the sentiment...

I'm "breathlessly" awaiting the right media's take on this, people like Andrew Bolt and whichever fat bald white knob is hosting his own current affairs show on Sky. The defence is something along the lines of Anning's, where he says "invasion" is the reason for an "understandable reaction". Muslims have been saying exactly the same thing for decades, under the thumb of the white capitalist west ever since oil became a thing...wonder how these f###s will spin it...
I doubt you'll get much out of Shane, from what I know about the guy he's mostly very good at listening to people's complaints and agreeing with them- also a great way of avoiding having to do anything. Yeah it's those government types in the big smoke, they don't understand. I heard he once told some apprentices a story about failing his apprentices' exam because he tried to cheat and ending up working on the railways. What a guy.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
carnthemlions

He's Jewish. Of course he has strong opinions about the Muslim people. I don't agree with them. I agree with a majority of non religious opinions he shares with his viewers.

The same reason why Nationalist Serbian people have such low opinions of the Bosnian Muslim population. Bad history.

Steven Crowder is another great truth speaker. Difference is he's Christian and doesn't involve himself with religious talk.

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Joe Rogan is definitely a gateway drug for potential alt-right *bois.

There is an incredible podcast scene out there, way too much to get through. Baffles me why people would waste their time with someone as mediocre as Rogan. The “he’s just asking questions and embracing open mindedness and free speech” stuff is so disingenuous.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
carnthemlions

He's Jewish. Of course he has strong opinions about the Muslim people. I don't agree with them. I agree with a majority of non religious opinions he shares with his viewers.

The same reason why Nationalist Serbian people have such low opinions of the Bosnian Muslim population. Bad history.

Steven Crowder is another great truth speaker. Difference is he's Christian and doesn't involve himself with religious talk.
1552706283758.png

Definitely not a racist. Who are 'the Muslim people'? And why would it be somehow legitimate for someone to hate all Muslims? And Nationalist Serbs having a low opinion of Bosnian Muslims- so now we're just moving straight to justifying genocide? This is quite worrying given the associations people like the Christchurch shooter draw between what they're doing and genocide in the Balkans, resistance to the Ottomans and so on. It's a slippery slope.

And look what we have here. Log the * off and think about what you're saying and the consequences of those ideas. Either separate yourself from these people or don't. Right now you're a lot closer to them than you seem to realise.

Back