The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This definitely won’t get called out as a mental health issue (although to commit such a crime you’d surely have to have mental issues). It will be called out for exactly what it is, terrorism.

Definitely?

Wonder if this will change

For me, being worried about the wording plays second fiddle to the well-being of victims. It’s tragic whether it’s a “mass shooting” or “terrorism”

The issue is the wording when the aftermath of this sort of incident spurs on other people to perform similar acts. Very naive to say that the wording and the media narrative doesn't matter.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m about 8 pages into the manifesto. It’s funny on Twitter they’ve jumped on one line, one link, to blame it to right wing USA. Yet he’s cited a black woman as his motivation, to a white European dream...I’m taking a break before digging back in. He’s already confirmed he wants a divide in North America, racial divide...he wants people to point the finger and blame each other, let the divide grow bigger and nastier....
He’s trying to ignite a culture war (and I mean that in a literal sense). Same as the Norwegian terrorist did some years ago. He would want to be labelled as a terrorist because he sees it as a war and is fighting back. Some might be offended by the term “fighting back” but that’s the way he’ll view it.

Saw some of the footage (not the shooting), how horrifying.

Shame he's going to sit in a jail and us mugs are going to be the one's paying for it.

You want the death penalty?

Without answering your question directly, he doesn't deserve to live.

If he is going to spend his life in jail he should be in solitary confinement for as long as he lives.

So you want the death penalty.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The issue is the wording when the aftermath of this sort of incident spurs on other people to perform similar acts. Very naive to say that the wording and the media narrative doesn't matter.
But do you say the same thing when it’s the other way round? There’s been many small scale instances of a Muslim attacking people that has been written off as a mental health issue. That’s where the blurred lines begin to occur.

Large scale attacks like this would never be written off just as a bloke with mental health issues, can’t believe you think that. It’s definitely right wing terrorism, just as the Manchester arena attack was Islamic terrorism and all the other major attacks around Europe in 2016-17 were.

But do you say the same thing when it’s the other way round? There’s been many small scale instances of a Muslim attacking people that has been written off as a mental health issue. That’s where the blurred lines begin to occur.

Large scale attacks like this would never be written off just as a bloke with mental health issues, can’t believe you think that. It’s definitely right wing terrorism, just as the Manchester arena attack was Islamic terrorism and all the other major attacks around Europe in 2016-17 were.

Are there? Please cite them for me.

Never? Let's see.

Like I said, in an instance like this, he doesn't deserve to live. What purpose does it achieve he being kept alive?

Death penalty is not an option so this discussion is probably pointless.

Not being turned into a martyr?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are there? Please cite them for me.

Never? Let's see.
I’m not your search engine mate. I remember machete attacks on trains and in the street and even an instance of a man driving into a crowd of people that were written off as mental health issues because there wasn’t large scale casualties. It seems to me once you hit a certain amount of victims it gets upgraded to terrorism

I’m not your search engine mate. I remember machete attacks on trains and in the street and even an instance of a man driving into a crowd of people that were written off as mental health issues because there wasn’t large scale casualties. It seems to me once you hit a certain amount of victims it gets upgraded to terrorism

If you want to make a baseless claim, expect to be asked to back it up. The burden of proof is not on me in this instance. You say there are many, yet haven't cited any.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
So, once again, you want the death penalty.

Why is that such a struggle for you to just outright say?
Because perhaps I am not interpreting your question as black and white as you are thinking it is?

Do I want in this instance? Yes. Would I want it all the time? Probably not.

Because perhaps I am not interpreting your question as black and white as you are thinking it is?

Do I want in this instance? Yes. Would I want it all the time? Probably not.

That's all I'm asking.. I'm not talking in general.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you want to make a baseless claim, expect to be asked to back it up. The burden of proof is not on me in this instance. You say there are many, yet haven't cited any.
I just cited three or four. I don’t keep a written dossier on these things, I just make mental notes of what I read. If you don’t wish to agree that’s entirely up to you it’s no skin off my nose

I just cited three or four. I don’t keep a written dossier on these things, I just make mental notes of what I read. If you don’t wish to agree that’s entirely up to you it’s no skin off my nose

Do you know what citing means? Where's the links to articles apparently calling it mental health related not terrorism? You've made a straw man argument to justify the lack of accurate reporting on this incident to excuse the lopsided reporting of white v Muslim attacks.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do you know what citing means? Where's the links to articles apparently calling it mental health related not terrorism? You've made a straw man argument to justify the lack of accurate reporting on this incident to excuse the lopsided reporting of white v Muslim attacks.
When a news story breaks more often than not an attack will not be treated as terrorism no matter what side perpetuates it. It appears the attacks are eventually labelled as terrorism because of a claim by ISIS or evidence can be verified that the attack was religiously motivated or of a white supremacist nature. On occasions no supporting evidence of this can be found and therefore the attack isn’t labelled as terrorism, like the instance below.

https://www.thelocal.de/20160724/one-dead-two-injured-in-germany-machete-attack-police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back