Preview Round 1: GWS vs Essendon, Sydney Showgrounds, Sunday 24/03/2019 @ 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Struggling to get my head around this one. Seems to be a debilitated forward line (no Hooker, suspect fitness from JD, Razz, McKernan) and a team struggling with mid/fwds (kelly?, no ward, shiel gone ;), greene unfit).
Can Coniglio, Taranto and the kids win the midfield battle?
Can we kick enough goals to win the game with limited options?
Tell me please.

Anyone been to the Sydney Showgrounds before and got any comments on seating?

It’s nice.

I’ve only ever been there when the weather was really good so if it rained you’d be ****ed. If this matters to you get under cover.

It’s nice.

I’ve only ever been there when the weather was really good so if it rained you’d be ******. If this matters to you get under cover.

Looking online there doesn't seem to be much choice, the undercover looks reserved or sold out. So be it, rain be damned!

Looking online there doesn't seem to be much choice, the undercover looks reserved or sold out. So be it, rain be damned!

A few years ago the ushers would just say pick one if you asked where your seat was. Bit more formal these days but not to the point where you couldn't move if it rained to a dry seat if you had to.

One tip the oppos side where an online purchase will send you if tell it you're a Bombers fan has a major drawback. The setting sun in your eyes for a 3:20 PM start. You could be better off in GA in the open area behind your cheersquad in the Eastern end. Worst come to worst you can move to cover at the western end if it rains.

If you want a high vantage point or a reserved seat consider sitting with us on the Northern side. We're surprisingly not feral given our roots in Western Sydney. There's always some oppo supporters there.

There'll be plenty of tkts. They dont open up all the stands unless some areas sell out. Figure out what you want and either wait or buy them at the tkt office at the ground.

Well I've just done the 2019 AFL predictor and we lose to Fremantle by 80 plus points in the Prelim.
Carlton win the flag.

May as well not even bother.
s**t, in mine we beat Richmond by 90+ in the GF after winning every game in the season by 90+ too.

Dang!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Francis Hurley Ridley
HB: Saad Ambrose McKenna
C: McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
HF: Fantasia Brown Stringer
F: Walla McKernan Smith
Foll: Bellchambers Shiel Merrett
Bench: Myers, Langford, Parish, Guelfi.

Stiff that Daniher misses, was looking forward to him returning but silver lining is we get to find out who the best second forward out of Brown and McKernan is when he returns.

B: Francis Hurley Ridley
HB: Saad Ambrose McKenna
C: McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
HF: Fantasia Brown Stringer
F: Walla McKernan Smith
Foll: Bellchambers Shiel Merrett
Bench: Myers, Langford, Parish, Guelfi.

Stiff that Daniher misses, was looking forward to him returning but silver lining is we get to find out who the best second forward out of Brown and McKernan is when he returns.

Agreed, I think this will be our 22 (only debatable one may be Hartley instead of Ambrose).
Our backline is interesting - none of Hurley, Ambrose, Ridley or Francis would I feel comfortable playing on a #1 powerful forward. Nor would I feel comfortable having them play on a small. Yet I like them all...

GWS probably play Cameron, Himmelberg and Tomlinson, none of them are contested marking beasts so meh.

#1 powerful forward.

GWS probably play Cameron, Himmelberg and Tomlinson, none of them are contested marking beasts so meh.

Accurate. GWS don't really have any gorilla forwards other than Patton. All their forwards are mostly the aerobic running kind.

Ambrose / Hurley should actually match up OK, or Hartley / Hurley. All have decent tanks.

Think with Mumford & Ward out, along with Kelly being tough-and-go and not fully match fit, we're a good chance to win the midfield. Bellchambers against a second tier ruck should be able to dominate.

Yeah nah I agree in terms of GWS don't have the "powerful" forward to worry us. More of a general comment, if that's the backline we run with for the foreseeable future.

Accurate. GWS don't really have any gorilla forwards other than Patton. All their forwards are mostly the aerobic running kind.

Ambrose / Hurley should actually match up OK, or Hartley / Hurley. All have decent tanks.

Think with Mumford & Ward out, along with Kelly being tough-and-go and not fully match fit, we're a good chance to win the midfield. Bellchambers against a second tier ruck should be able to dominate.
As surprised as I am saying this, Simpson is a pretty decent #2 ruck. One of the better ones out there

Question for Essendon fans. I apologise for putting it here, but couldn't find a more suitable place.

How is Mosquito going? Did he get any JLT time? I was loving his junior highlights, I hope he turns out a star for you guys.

Question for Essendon fans. I apologise for putting it here, but couldn't find a more suitable place.

How is Mosquito going? Did he get any JLT time? I was loving his junior highlights, I hope he turns out a star for you guys.
We have a JLT autopsy thread, and a player thread for every player (which we use regularly), they'd probably be more appropriate, but anyway.

He didn't play in either of the JLT games.

He is settling in really well though :)

https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-11-28/mozzie-poised-to-forge-his-own-path

https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-11-26/gallery-draftees-first-day

https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-02-17/get-to-know-irving-mosquito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back