News New Jumpers For 2019 - All Changes In OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

People hate on GC's jumper design, but I rate GWS's as worse. Its main design element is a letter of the alphabet! "Today's guernsey design is brought to you by the letter G".
You could argue Carlton's main design element are letters of the alphabet too :p

People hate on GC's jumper design, but I rate GWS's as worse. Its main design element is a letter of the alphabet! "Today's guernsey design is brought to you by the letter G".

And to make it worse, the clash has that crappy shadowing.

So much potential with the colours, such poor execution.
The 'G' is meant to be a stylised version of NSW, with the little nook inside meaning to be the Sydney area. This wasn't apparent to me up until a few years ago so I imagine the average Joe who goes to the footy has no clue. I still think GC is much worse, at leat GWS actually do something with the G but GC is just boring.

Last edited:
Compare it to last years:

Much better placement of the 'G' and a much more vibrant orange. Collars are a bit different too. Can't really complain.
View attachment 635723

It's still a very average design, but it's improved this year, especially when compared to last year

The 'G' is meant to be a stylised version of NSW, with the little nook inside meaning to be the Sydney area. This wasn't apparent to me up until a few years ago so imagine the average Joe who goes to the footy. I still think GC is much worse, at leat GWS actually do something with the G but GC is just boring.

I really don't mind the GWS design, because at least they've tried to do something with the placement of the orange, charcoal and the 'G'. Gold Coast is very boring and uninspired, and looks terrible on the field

Whilst I appreciate the G is NSW and used to like the jumper, I definitely think the Giants should change. It's getting dated now. I'd also ditch the white and go Orange and Charcoal only. There's been some good designs on the FJGD board that are "traditional" styled but have never been seen. I'd go down that route as opposed to choosing something thats been done already.

I think GWS' home looks quite striking and iconic now. Vibrant Orange, Charcoal and White colour scheme work so well together, however their clash is just boring and uninspiring. Not quite sure how to get around this.

There's been some good designs on the FJGD board that are "traditional" styled but have never been seen. I'd go down that route as opposed to choosing something thats been done already.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/clash-of-the-jumpers-greater-western-sydney.1016013/page-2

Can't remember if these were training guernseys or just prototypes, but I'm guessing you'd be more in favour of something like this?
Personally I think it's too similar to the Saints, but it's interesting to see how easily they could've gone down this path.

Adam+Treloar+GWS+Giants+Training+Session+OirJJhiDpaKl.jpg

I think we can all agree that GC's guernsey is in a league of it's own in regard to uninspired guernsey design.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWSclash_zps3995ca4c.png
Or try this one our very own Craegus made years ago :p

I know I've said this before when the GWS jumper topic has come up, but what do the Giants have to gain from using a traditional jumper design? They aren't a club with any long history and they aren't from a traditional football area, what they have the moment is a modern take on the old yoke design with a modern stylised G that is pretty recognisable at this point. Their clash needs an overhaul for sure (a white would look amazing as we have seen with past training jumpers) but their home is actually pretty good imo, it just needs a charcoal back on it to prevent clashes with the Swans.

I think we can all agree that GC's guernsey is in a league of it's own in regard to uninspired guernsey design.
Yep, and they should go in the same direction, something modern, embrace being a 21st century club.

Sydney have a white-backed jumper for this exact match :p
Neither of them seem to like wearing their clashes though, a charcoal back solves this and mainly just makes the jumper look cleaner imo

Neither of them seem to like wearing their clashes though, a charcoal back solves this and mainly just makes the jumper look cleaner imo
It does but it Sydney's (and the AFL's) job to not clash with GWS in half those games so that GWS can wear what they want at home.
Nobody should have to change their home strip for anyone.

It does but it Sydney's (and the AFL's) job to not clash with GWS in half those games so that GWS can wear what they want at home.
Nobody should have to change their home strip for anyone.
I probably should have made it clearer in my original post, but I reckon that it just looks crap having a different coloured back to the front of the guernsey, same with Sydney, who I think should have a white back.

I probably should have made it clearer in my original post, but I reckon that it just looks crap having a different coloured back to the front of the guernsey, same with Sydney, who I think should have a white back.
Totally agree - it's the away teams job to avoid clashes, but GWS home jumper is clash enduring - just like the Eagles tripanel. A charcoal back would fix this. The women's team has a charcoal back.

They could use a charcoal based jumper as home, and orange as away. White clash probably only needed v hawks.

That's very different to "should change their jumper to stop a clash" :p

Totally agree - it's the away teams job to avoid clashes, but GWS home jumper is clash enduring - just like the Eagles tripanel. A charcoal back would fix this. The women's team has a charcoal back.
With the TP jumper - not using colours similar to navy or yellow worked great. Red. Pink. Sky blue. White.
With the GWS jumper it's similar - don't use colours close to orange charcoal. Use royal, white, sky blue, lime green.

I am yet to see a jumper or set of colours that has no clash solution. Nobody has a jumper equal parts all colours of the rainbow.

I think GWS' home looks quite striking and iconic now. Vibrant Orange, Charcoal and White colour scheme work so well together, however their clash is just boring and uninspiring. Not quite sure how to get around this.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/clash-of-the-jumpers-greater-western-sydney.1016013/page-2

Can't remember if these were training guernseys or just prototypes, but I'm guessing you'd be more in favour of something like this?
Personally I think it's too similar to the Saints, but it's interesting to see how easily they could've gone down this path.

View attachment 636030

No way, these stink it up!

I think a colour scheme which would've fit the Giants much better would be Red and Green. When used correctly these colours can look great together and would appeal to Rabbitohs supporter base.

I think a colour scheme which would've fit the Giants much better would be Red and Green. When used correctly these colours can look great together and would appeal to Rabbitohs supporter base.
Which is probably the exact reason they didn't use them - taking directly the colours of an opposition code team on its home turf wouldn't have gone down well. And supporters of other teams may not have jumped on the Giants. I know one or two people who don't like the Strikers coz they look like NSW so imagine how much stronger those feelings would be when footy is involved!

Which is probably the exact reason they didn't use them - taking directly the colours of an opposition code team on its home turf wouldn't have gone down well. And supporters of other teams may not have jumped on the Giants. I know one or two people who don't like the Strikers coz they look like NSW so imagine how much stronger those feelings would be when footy is involved!
True, didn't really think of it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back