Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I like Tucker tagging. Has trouble finding the ball but the oppo gun mids will lead him straight to it. Banners did a good job doing it for a first year player, but he has no trouble finding the ball himself.
Thats kind of what I was trying to get at. Has done very well in JLT and can't see why having him in the team would mean we're in trouble.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd hate for Hamling or Pearce to go down in the first quarter of Rd 1. Hughes as a KD scares the s**t out of me.
Loads of sides only really have the 1 KPD now days anyway and a bunch of 190+cm guys, albeit they're normally a bit better than Hughes/Ryan defensively. At least we have cover for the deepest/most dangerous forward.

Boppo

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sth Freo
Think thats real rough on Hughes and Tucker. Two of our best in JLT and both have played some really high quality games for us in the past.
Hughes certainly has some limitations around his ball use, but then again so did Ibbo and he was elite for us.
Tucker I can't really see an argument against? Has all the tools just hasn't put it together that consistently in the 2 years hes been on an AFL list?

Yeah some recent form is all well and good (and apologies to Bailey for lumping him in this group) but that’s a lot of modest contributors that need to perform at the top of their range all at the same time. I don’t see match winners should Fyfe cop a tag which I’m sure he will and no Sandi. I’d be quietly confident if I was North.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
what would you expect your top 5 leading goal scorers be this season?
rushed behinds
wides
ball fours
headed own goals
3 pointers
double faults
:mad:
I'm feeling so down about our team, I couldn't even count correctly o_O:rolleyes::drunk::thumbsdown::moustache::think::greenalien::sick:

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Logue - Hamling - Ryan
Wilson - APearce - Cerra
Langdon - Mundy - BHill
Walters - Hogan -
Switta
Ballas - Lobb - Banfield

Darcy - Fyfe - Brayshaw

Conca - Tucker - Coyler - Giro

If Logue and Switta get up then we're rollling with a B22 that is pretty close to full strength. SHill, Blakely, Tabs/Cox.

Just got to get a good start to the season before SHill and Blakely come back.

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ballas - Lobb - Banfield

Darcy - Fyfe - Brayshaw

Conca - Tucker - Coyler - Giro

[/QUOTE]

Banfield is B22
And McCarthy will be the 3rd tall

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It is pretty clear that with the loss of Neale the club did their best to bring in some mature bodies with the potential to fill some of that gap. Not only Colyer, but Bewley and Schultz too, and they also maouvered to get Valente as a physically ready to go draftee.

I think their comments about trading in players who are best 22 needs to be taken in the context of the club being in a situation where the idea of a fixed best 22 is not productive with such a young and emerging list. So far he doesn't seem to be one of the best 22 players at the club, but is plug and play in the best 22 pending injuries and availability. Things may change, but I think he is 25-30 on the list of best players. Been a bit disappointing for me.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sandi or Darcy is an interesting one.

I'm enjoying having a ruckman that attacks the air ball hard and doesn't mind throwing the ball on his boot for a centre clearance.

MrDanggazz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
felt like having another look after the whooping we gave North Melbourne.

FB: Ryan Hamling Wilson
HB: Logue A.Pearce Conca
C: B.Hill Fyfe E.Langdon
HF: Walters Hogan Bennell
FF: Switta Lobb McCarthy
R: Sandi Blakely Mundy
Int: Tucker, S. Hill, Cerra, Brayshaw

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
felt like having another look after the whooping we gave North Melbourne.

FB: Ryan Hamling Wilson
HB: Logue A.Pearce Conca
C: B.Hill Fyfe E.Langdon
HF: Walters Hogan Bennell
FF: Switta Lobb McCarthy
R: Sandi Blakely Mundy
Int: Tucker, S. Hill, Cerra, Brayshaw
Not a shabby 22 at all. I'd probably highlight that many/most best 22's didn't feature Tucker or McCarthy, but they are in there on merit now. My only questionable one in your side is Bennell but it is a non-discussion until he is acyually available.

Also I might add some unlucky ones who could expect to be in there;
Banfield, Colyer, Cox, Darcy.

I am puzzled about Matera and Ballantyne and how/if they fit in.

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
A starting midfield of Sandy, Fyfe, Mundy and Hogan. Now that's the type of midfield that could win a premiership with the new rules.

What do you guys think would be the ideal split for mid/fwd rotation for Hogan. I was thinking a 60/40 split fwd to mid time in a similar vein to what he was doing at Melbourne. It would make him a much harder match up as he can roam up and then lose his defender in traffic. I went back watched a bunch of Hogan's goals and he did this a lot. He was able to find a lot of space over the back by simply being on the move and knowing where to be. I'm not sure how this tactic would work into the Freo game plan or against a super organised defensive unit but it could be very effective if the opposition are focusing on Lobb, McCarthy and Tabs.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
What do you guys think would be the ideal split for mid/fwd rotation for Hogan. I was thinking a 60/40 split fwd to mid time in a similar vein to what he was doing at Melbourne. It would make him a much harder match up as he can roam up and then lose his defender in traffic. I went back watched a bunch of Hogan's goals and he did this a lot. He was able to find a lot of space over the back by simply being on the move and knowing where to be. I'm not sure how this tactic would work into the Freo game plan or against a super organised defensive unit but it could be very effective if the opposition are focusing on Lobb, McCarthy and Tabs.

Why do we need Hogan in the midfield? Being on the move, lose your man and make space is what a good player does regardless of where they are. The only reason I can think of is if you REALLY love more than two of Lobb, Cox, McCarthy, Taberner or Dixon and want to see them all in the senior side with Hogan regularly. But then this is taking your best forward (and probably one of the best in the competition) away to play them in a position that they are only okay at to allow lesser players into the team which is just insane. It doesn't make sense from a team perspective at all. It is not going to bring us closer to a flag.

I can understand why we might go to this sort of thinking; personally I would really like to see Dixon come on and make it into our senior side over the next two years because I think he is a very talented forward but I am realistic that this will only come at the long term cost of two or more of Cox, McCarthy, Taberner and maybe Lobb. It should be (and needs to be) horses for courses; we pick our best three forwards at the time bearing in mind form and injury (maybe four at a stretch for particular games) and sometimes someone will miss out. No more no less; Dixon needs to prove that he should be selected by kicking bags of goals, and the selectors need to honour that if it happens, particularly if senior players are not performing to a reasonable level (a less than reasonable effort in a good team may be only averaging a goal a game as a key forward and not also meeting a certain number of tackles and marks).

Back