Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Young playing no JLT games is concerning, but I'd hope we can bring him in and get some results out of him this year
Roberts is a mile in front of Young at this stage of development.

I think Bevo prefers the two talls forward set up with Wood and Crozier playing intercept roles (Young's senior appearances also seem to be in an intercept capacity). I suspect Naughton and Cordy are the primary choice.

Makes the forward set up interesting though - are we now more likely to play two rucks with a resting ruck forward if Naughton isn't going to be there? That seemed to be what we tried in JLT 1. We really do rate English that highly internally that we want to find a way to get him in the side.

Apparently we didn’t really rate anyone else so we didn’t look to replace Picken. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

I really don’t understand our list management.

Lost a full back in Adams and a full forward in Redpath and didn’t replace either.

Cordy and Naughton are good players but will get touched up by gun forwards. We needed a body to free up Naughton so he can be a floating defender like McGovern and Cordy is suited for 3rd forwards.

Don’t rate him but Roberts just has to play.

Apparently we didn’t really rate anyone else so we didn’t look to replace Picken. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

I really don’t understand our list management.

Lost a full back in Adams and a full forward in Redpath and didn’t replace either.

Cordy and Naughton are good players but will get touched up by gun forwards. We needed a body to free up Naughton so he can be a floating defender like McGovern and Cordy is suited for 3rd forwards.

Don’t rate him but Roberts just has to play.

Adams was always going at some point, he tried to go back to WA the 2 years previous

In any regard yes we are now exposed, no matured body ruckman, lack of forward presence and Moz injury means we lack depth and experience down back

Meanwhile we have alot full of midfielders with kicking deficiencies who are playing in the forward line because we need to play them and we need to fill forward line holes

It closes today, which likely makes it too late for us :(

To put an optimistic spin on it, not signing someone means we don't have to place Morris on the long term injury list, which could open him up to a mid-season return (like in 2018) if the injury isn't too serious. Will have to wait and see
Sorry to dent your optimistic spin but I don't think being on the LTI list means you are disqualified from playing again this season if that's what you're implying. I think it just means you are out for a certain minimum period, maybe 8-12 weeks or something of that order.

Can anybody quote the AFL chapter and verse on LTIs?

Sorry to dent your optimistic spin but I don't think being on the LTI list means you are disqualified from playing again this season if that's what you're implying. I think it just means you are out for a certain minimum period, maybe 8-12 weeks or something of that order.

Can anybody quote the AFL chapter and verse on LTIs?
Oh really? I was under the impression it disqualified you for the season. I suppose mid season draft would make more sense as the cut off time

Oh really? I was under the impression it disqualified you for the season. I suppose mid season draft would make more sense as the cut off time
I found this (from the Age) but it still doesn't say exactly what a "long term injury" is. However it does distinguish it from a "season-ending injury" so I guess it's something along the lines of what I was saying:
...with the AFL also set to allow clubs to add a player to their rookie list during the pre-season if they have a spot available or if they lose a player to a long-term injury or retirement.

Under that clause clubs will be able to add a new player to the rookie list between December 1 and March 15 by placing a player on one of three inactive lists: a long-term injury list, a season-ending list or a retired player list.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...son-rookie-draft-in-2019-20181004-p507sq.html

It goes on to say:
The mid-season rookie draft will only be available to clubs that have a spare rookie position available.

They can then add a rookie player from that draft. The club has that player for the remainder of the year and has first rights to them at the end of the season.
So I'm not sure that having a player on an LTI enables you to draft a rookie mid-season but we would certainly have been able to draft a player pre-season if Moz's injury had happened a little earlier.

years of wasted list spots and here we are. exactly this ...

In any regard yes we are now exposed, no matured body ruckman, lack of forward presence and Moz injury means we lack depth and experience down back

Meanwhile we have alot full of midfielders with kicking deficiencies who are playing in the forward line because we need to play them and we need to fill forward line holes

no intention to play Roberts or Campbell or minson in the end, Honeychurch, hrovat, Picken this year, prudden too long, r.smith too long. turning those players over may have found 1 or 2 useful players with speculative picks.

If we could convince a youngish decent KP to come, Id happily off load Dunkley, Wallis or Hunter to make it happen.
Absolutely if you want some quality have to give up some quality. Other clubs aren't going to accept a raft of spuds for a gun.

A win win situation like Judd for Kennedy is the only way to get it done. Although over the longer term I feel that WC are the winners on that trade with

Absolutely if you want some quality have to give up some quality. Other clubs aren't going to accept a raft of spuds for a gun.

A win win situation like Judd for Kennedy is the only way to get it done. Although over the longer term I feel that WC are the winners on that trade with

its about taking risks.
facts are we have a lopsided list with too many similar mids. and we must offload a few players simply for list balance .

i think also recently we have a history of hanging onto players for too long. ie. list cloggers or injury prone players

Last edited:
Dale, Webb and Dunkley are all out of contract this year and the 3 most likely to be shopped around.

Also think out strategy going forward rests in the health of Boyd and where he takes his footy this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Itll be Webb and Dale, Dunkley is a keeper.

Why?

Dunkley is an atrocious kick but at least he is worth something. IMO a skilled team bereft of big bodied mids like EFC should target Dunkley. We have bont and Macrae as big mids.

Would consider Dunkley for Francis maybe with balancing picks.

Dale and Webb would be lucky to get a 4th rd between them and little point in saying we'd offer them for trade IMO. Guys like Koby Stevens and Hrovat were better players and got SFA.

Why?

Dunkley is an atrocious kick but at least he is worth something. IMO a skilled team bereft of big bodied mids like EFC should target Dunkley. We have bont and Macrae as big mids.

Dale and Webb would be lucky to get a 4th rd between them and little point in saying we'd offer them for trade IMO. Guys like Koby Stevens and Hrovat were better players and got SFA.
I've had similar thoughts about shipping Dunkley off to Essendon, but Francis is a huge flight risk to SA so I doubt we'd consider him. Give me Orazio and I'll be happy ;)

In reality, if a player was to come our way, I doubt there's anyone Essendon would be willing to part with that would be of interest to us. Would have to involve a 3rd team

Why?

Not Francis, not a huge fan tbh but yeah agree on the idea. Will wait and see how our midfield performs this year though. It was nice how Dunkley released Macrae and Bont late in the year but with Libba back im sure he will do the same and its already hard to fit Dunks in there, and we need to start transitioning the likes of Williams, Smith and eventually West in there too who will give us a bit of the same but with more speed and better disposal.

Struggling to see where he fits going forward but hes a good player, might just force his way into the untradeable category and will have to look at other ideas

I've had similar thoughts about shipping Dunkley off to Essendon, but Francis is a huge flight risk to SA so I doubt we'd consider him. Give me Orazio and I'll be happy ;)

In reality, if a player was to come our way, I doubt there's anyone Essendon would be willing to part with that would be of interest to us. Would have to involve a 3rd team

What about Stewart? I rate him

If we trade any of our top dozen or so players it's got to be for a genuine need, and preferably one that's hard to find in the state leagues or the draft, like a ready-made KPF for instance. And preferably someone on the rise, not in the last few years of their AFL career.

Trading for yet another midfielder or HBF is not the way to go. Not unless it's for a genuine elite player like a Kelly or a Coniglio but of course we'd need to throw in a fair bit more than a Dunkley to get one of those.

My preference is strongly to hang on to Dunkley but you never say "never".

What about Stewart? I rate him
Yeah I don't mind him, but I'd hope we get something back as Dunkley would be worth far more. Would rather do something like a straight trade for our 2019 2nd rounder, and keep Dunkley or trade him for a bigger target. Would hope we get a big name if we lose someone like Dunks

Not Francis, not a huge fan tbh but yeah agree on the idea. Will wait and see how our midfield performs this year though. It was nice how Dunkley released Macrae and Bont late in the year but with Libba back im sure he will do the same and its already hard to fit Dunks in there, and we need to start transitioning the likes of Williams, Smith and eventually West in there too who will give us a bit of the same but with more speed and better disposal.

Struggling to see where he fits going forward but hes a good player, might just force his way into the untradeable category and will have to look at other ideas

Bigbodied mids are good to have but sheesh Dunks is limited by his kicking.

Francis was more an example. Not as far along as he should be plus issues but a bit of upside. But I suppose he is a type bit like Schache I guess. Talented but....

Mason Wood?

Last edited:
Thoughts on the new rules on delisted free agents being free agents for their entire careers?

Gowers is now a free agent when he is out of contract in 2020.

I don’t have an issue with the rule but I do have an issue with players having even more power and the clubs less. It’s really out of balance at the moment

Thoughts on the new rules on delisted free agents being free agents for their entire careers?

Gowers is now a free agent when he is out of contract in 2020.

I don’t have an issue with the rule but I do have an issue with players having even more power and the clubs less. It’s really out of balance at the moment
It makes absolutely no sense, why should we be disadvantaged because we gave a guy like Gowers a 2nd chance? Or Hamling, if these rules were in play Hamling would have walked to freo for nothing, after we picked him up as a delisted free agent and put 2 years into him.

In saying that i dont think it should have too many consequences because I'm sure a lot of these guys who do get 2nd chances will be keen to repay that club. But just the thought that we could pick up Gowers from obscurity for our VFL team, the next season give him a shot on the list and a place in the team from round 1, put 3 years of development into him then have no control when he walks to collingwood for nothing for the prime years of his career, its ******* stupis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back