Women's Footy AFLW Crows in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
On Perkins - when you have a back injury like she did - that seriously impacts all parts of your fitness including your speed.

Yeah, fair call. I hope we're communicating with her about where she is in the squad and what she needs to do to re-enter the best 21.

Deni plays entirely on the wing.

Yes, though she seems to drop back more often than run forward, as opposed to say, Mules. I wonder if she's viewed as a more defensively-minded wing.

I think the issue with Deni's game was that she had a couple of poor moments early, and it can be easy to decide early on "she's having a shocker" and then not notice her work into the game well.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fairly straightforward to work out the breakdown of votes this week. Always makes it easier to work out when there are two players on one vote!

Phillips 10 (5+5)
Marinoff 8 (4+4)
Mules 3 (3+0)
Randall 3 (3+0)
Varnhagen 2 (2+0)
Thompson 2 (2+0)
Eva 1 (1+0)
J. Foley 1 (1+0)

Interesting that there was no agreement whatsoever outside of the top two. I'm going to guess that GWS gave the vote to Eva, so we gave a vote to Foley. Beyond that, I'm again going to blindly guess that GWS gave the votes to Thompson (easy to go with the top goalscorer) and Randall (very visible player, they'd be watching specifically for her) so that would mean we went with:

5 Phillips
4 Marinoff
3 Mules
2 Varnhagen
1 Foley

I must admit, I'm surprised to see Marinoff with 8 votes. She wasn't bad, and worked her way into the game as time went on, but she was invisible in the first quarter and had some awful turnovers in the second. I guess the ten tackles were very valuable.

Edit: I see Marinoff is also one of the nominees for MVP of the week, so maybe I'm just a poor judge :eek:

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
Yeah, fair call. I hope we're communicating with her about where she is in the squad and what she needs to do to re-enter the best 21.

Yes, though she seems to drop back more often than run forward, as opposed to say, Mules. I wonder if she's viewed as a more defensively-minded wing.

I think the issue with Deni's game was that she had a couple of poor moments early, and it can be easy to decide early on "she's having a shocker" and then not notice her work into the game well.

Or not know football properly that when she gets damned for the holding the ball that Jess Foley sold her in to. That she had come in to provide the support and that was the only place should could really get to after her sprint in to help. That was more on Jess than it was on Deni. It's hard to see the whole picture when you are restricted to the vision shown, and conversely I've find I also need to see the replay and, for example, I notice Marinoff more and the little things she does than seeing her live.

Also on Deni being the 'defensive winger' that is very reminiscent on our set up in the Men's team where it is Atkins and Seed who rotate between who is the deeper wing player in defense. Deni has the longer kick, so I can understand why we have the preference for her to be the defensive winger helping out the defenders.

Last edited:

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Also on Deni being the 'defensive winger' that is very reminiscent on our set up in the Men's team where it is Atkins and Seed who rotate between who is the deeper wing player in defense. Deni has the longer kick, so I can understand why we have the preference for her to be the defensive winger helping out the defenders.
If you don’t see Crows matches live, it is difficult to tell who is on the wing. If there is a stoppage in our defence then the winger on that side of the ground sets up between the stoppage and the goals. You will often see our winger mark a quick kick out of the stoppage in the goal square. Since the wingman is deeper than our half backs it is easy to understand why some people think Brodie Smith is on the wing (which he is from time to time) and Seedsman is at halfback.

No excuses for special comments experts and Mark Bickley.

I specifically watched where our girls were positioned on Sunday. Both teams in AFLW tend to play an extra player in defence and other than the centre bounce, Deni was playing as a defensive winger/attacking half back. Often Sarah Allan is our plus one but GWS were very good at flooding their forward zone once they had a turnover. This enabled them to get some Josephine the Gooses. You have to watch the AFLW live to appreciate the quality of Chelsea Randall, she often leaves her opponent, gets to the contest and wins the ball or creates a stoppage.

finn

All Australian
May 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
norwood, adelaide uni
Gee, didn't realise things had gone so far south for them.

Still, next year fourteen of the eighteen AFL teams have a women's side as well. I'd be shocked if that didn't turn into all eighteen sometime soon. It looks strange if almost but not quite everyone has a team.

It's going to be an issue if/when Sydney enter the league. GWS is struggling enough as it is, let alone when Sydney comes in and further dilutes their draft pool. Maybe they'll need to wait until the competition advances to the point where the girls are paid a serious wage.

Still, as of next year, us and GWS will be the only teams who have sole access to their given draft pool. Freo and Brisbane are about to have their pools cut in half and their lists raided, and another two teams are about to enter the Victorian market and will presumably model their entrance on North Melbourne, taking the eyes out of the other Melbourne-based teams.

I don't believe there's an issue with her fitness. She's obviously a bigger girl but I doubt that's due to a lack of work on her behalf. That's just her body shape. That said, she did have injury issues this past preseason which may have hurt her fitness a bit.

I think her main issue is simply her speed. With AFLW teams now using zones and switches effectively, she struggles to get to the contest if it's not kicked to her, and then her opponent can work off her. Meanwhile, her excellent ball-handling skills are stifled because she has just a bit less time to gather a loose ball and kick it than she used to, with players able to close her down faster than before.

I'd hate to see her lost to the game so soon, but obviously something is going to need to change in her game. She's a smart footballer so hopefully she's able to do it. Just not sure if it will be with us.

My thought is that Perkins has seemed to forgotten about marking in front of her eyes. The games in the AWFL and SAWFL I’ve seen this year in which she has led well but tried to take chest marks and had the ball spoiled; a part of the game that has improved.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
There's a part of me that feels really sad that, beneath all the positivity in the group at the moment, Sarah Perkins has to be feeling down about things.

All the same build and excitement of the 2017 season, except this time she's not a part of it. She's there and part of the group, but not on the field. It's one thing for the SA girls who can't make the side, but she's come over from interstate. I wonder if things don't turn around in the next few weeks, if she'll opt to head home. Or, if the decision will be made for her.

It's easy to forget just how inspirational, and how dominant, she was in her first season. We're celebrating Stevie-Lee Thompson kicking ten goals in six games, Perkins did the same in seven, and she didn't have the luxury of scoring most of hers from the goal square. They were primarily marks and 30+ metre kicks. She was as big a part of that 2017 premiership as anyone else, and it's sad to have seen it move away from her so quickly.

There's a tiny part of me that thinks, maybe she'll be able to work with someone to improve whatever it is she needs to become a dominant force for us again. But I don't see it.

The players that she's playing against have improved over the last couple of years and she hasn't. She's a very good footballer, but that's not enough at the moment, you need to be a good athlete as well. That's what's letting her down.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes, good changes. That's our strongest 21 right there. I assume Cramey will go back in defence? Who goes forward to take Riley's place?

I know they used Randall there last week but I prefer her down back. I'm trying to remember what we did before Cramey got injured. Randall, Allan, Rajcic and Cramey all played back, right?

I wonder if Sedunary is an outside chance to work her way back into the side, assuming we make it to the finals? Not a lot of holes left.

Edit: Also, the article says Cramey is vice-captain. I thought Ang Foley was? Or do we have co-vice captains as well?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes, good changes. That's our strongest 21 right there. I assume Cramey will go back in defence? Who goes forward to take Riley's place?

I know they used Randall there last week but I prefer her down back. I'm trying to remember what we did before Cramey got injured. Randall, Allan, Rajcic and Cramey all played back, right?

I wonder if Sedunary is an outside chance to work her way back into the side, assuming we make it to the finals? Not a lot of holes left.

Edit: Also, the article says Cramey is vice-captain. I thought Ang Foley was? Or do we have co-vice captains as well?
I think Cramey was tried as a forward/mid in her last game when injured. Typically she plays down back, but we can afford to experiment more with Rajcic doing a good job and McCormick is being tried in defense.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rajcic has played full back all season, Allan CHB. Cramey in may mean a shift up the ground for McCormick in place of Riley.

We have co-captains and two vice captains.
I don’t mind trying Cramey more as a forward. She is one of the better markers (with hands) we have in the team, so she can play as a genuine forward role like Perkins, but with better chasing/tackling. If she doesn’t get much of the ball then she can be switched with McCormick.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our win over GWS looks even better now that they just beat Geelong by five goals. Incredible, Brisbane now only need to beat Collingwood to qualify for their third straight finals series, despite only having had two wins so far this season. What a sham.

Meanwhile, if the Bulldogs beat Carlton, then both finallists in Conference B will end the minor round with a 3-4 win-loss record. Meanwhile at least one team (and possibly two) from Conference A will get five wins and miss out.

If Bulldogs beat Carlton by 6 goals, then every single team in Conference A will end up with a better record than every single team in Conference B.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know I'm a nerd with this stuff, but I find it fascinating to look at the various possible finals matchups.

Assuming other results go as expected, Conference B will end up with Carlton top and Brisbane second. (If Brisbane lose to Collingwood then it's Geelong second).

A win over Melbourne has us hosting the second place side, so most likely Brisbane, here in Adelaide. Interestingly, Brisbane is one of only two sides (along with Collingwood) that we didn't play this season. We haven't played them since round 1 last year (2 goal loss) and have only beaten them the one time, in the 2017 AFLW GF. Interestingly, if Freo win in round seven, then in this scenario Carlton would host Freo, another two sides that didn't play this year, so the finals would have two brand new matches for 2019.

If we lose to Melbourne we cannot finish top, but would most likely still finish second, and play Carlton away. Last time we played Carlton away we made hard work of it. We were three goals down midway through the third quarter before we had one of our now-trademark last quarter blitzes. It would be nice to avoid having to do that again!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back