Opinion Breakout Player For 2019

Always find these talks pretty interesting each year and curious which players everyone thought were going to take the step up this season.

For mine the obvious choice is Jordan Dawson who we got a glimpse of in the senior side late last year, great overhead mark, powerful kicking, he's had an impressive pre-season so far and I think he'd kick on this year and play a lot of games in the senior team.

Tom Papley is an established player in the team that I could see going to another level. Seems to be the plan that he'll spend more time in the midfield, I've been a bit sceptical of the move prior because he's always been a natural forward with fantastic goal sense so I thought that taking him out of the forward 50 would be a net negative. Apparently though IIRC it's the first time he's had an uninterrupted pre-season in his career and with a stronger fitness base he's looked ok up the ground in the pre-season games and can win his own ball and some clearances. The new rules could benefit him as he could enjoy the space at the centre bounce with his explosive speed. He has the attributes to become a 20 disposal a week mid and still manage to kick close to 30 goals in the season which would be a great asset for us.

I'm taking the coward's way out here and going for a four-way tie for me between Hewett, Aliir, Florent & Hayward as I think many are worthy.

For a run of about six games there last year, Florent was our best midfielder, and it's likely with another solid pre-season under his belt, that number of starring games could increase again and with his pace and class it's hard not for him to stand out.

Hayward is a natural goalkicker and even in his quiet games can still find a way to sneak a goal or two in. I think if we can get our forward line functioning half-decent (lolololololololol) Hayward will benefit from it probably more than anyone. Because of our lack of talls last year, and McCartin playing a little further up the ground, there were times when Hayward was almost a key forward by proxy, despite his size, inexperience and lack of fitness and strength. The irony is that if we have a more even and balanced spread of targets, Hayward's tally might actually increase as we make it a bit easier on him.

Aliir is self-explanatory. His senior-level career has comprised of two All Australian-worthy half-seasons. Now he gets his chance at a full season. Simple mathematics dictate two halves make a whole. He will show Essendon and BT what the total package looks like.

Hewett is my personal favourite because I think the older JPK gets, the more evident it becomes that Hewett has what it takes to be his successor. I would almost be in favour of starting JPK on the bench in more games from now on and backing guys like Hewett and Heeney to take the bulk of the centre bounces. It's time for these cygnets to become formidable Swans!

It is a difficult task. As with the two preceding posts I can see a case for a number of our players. We are lucky to have so many inexperienced or young players with lots of upside.

I thought Hewett became a vital cog in the midfield last year. He proved a diligent stopper but also won plenty of his own ball.

He also did plenty of heavy grunt work in crowded contests. I think he will have a breakout year if he is released from being the primary stopper.

This would require the coaching staff to license him to be more offensive. I think like Caesar it is time the midfield leadership baton was passed from JPK to George.

More open centre clearance contests should also enable him to better use his excellent disposal skills. After another good preseason he looks fit, strong and ready to take his game to another level.

My absolute bolter is COR. He looks fit and fast and would not be surprised to see him have a cracker if a year

Can only be one winner...
Sitting in the grandstand who can, Melican, nobody else can. Gooooooooooooooooooo Lewis.

hehehe. Hell I Can, Melican.

I expect competition to be fierce with all the noms having great years.

George, however will win the Bobby and the Normie.

I am going to say Reid, just for the giggles.

But in seriousness probably Dawson.

I think Reid needs 2-3 more years before he develops mate, go easy

I'm not subscribing to the only one winner theory... sorry Number37 :( I'm thinking a whole bunch of our players are going to take the next step

- Papley: First full preseason
- Mills: Would have been last year but for injury
- Melican: Would have been last year but for injury
- Heeney: First full preseason(?)
- Hayward: will crack 50 games this season
- Florent: Will (hopefully) crack 50 games this season
- Dawson: Will become best 22

Smokey: Naismith - Wouldn't that just be brilliant? Unlikely yes, but I can dream... :)

I don't know about the newbies, haven't seen them play enough. AA has already had his break out year last year, I reckon he'll continue to grow and learn this year and then next year go BANG!! HERE I AM!!! And the world will be saying he came out of nowhere...

Melican is just going to be a solid guy at best imo.

Don't see much of a breakout coming other than just being in the 22.

I'm not subscribing to the only one winner theory... sorry Number37 :( I'm thinking a whole bunch of our players are going to take the next step

- Papley: First full preseason
- Mills: Would have been last year but for injury
- Melican: Would have been last year but for injury
- Heeney: First full preseason(?)
- Hayward: will crack 50 games this season
- Florent: Will (hopefully) crack 50 games this season
- Dawson: Will become best 22

Smokey: Naismith - Wouldn't that just be brilliant? Unlikely yes, but I can dream... :)

I don't know about the newbies, haven't seen them play enough. AA has already had his break out year last year, I reckon he'll continue to grow and learn this year and then next year go BANG!! HERE I AM!!! And the world will be saying he came out of nowhere...

I'm not a designated Bigfooty footy expert Kirky, thankfully my opinion means nothing.
I base my opinion on our good history of defenders having break out seasons, more so than our other players. Reg, Ted, Ramps, Tagh, Bolts, Barry...

Back