List Mgmt. Where are they now? (ex suns)

The club went on record to say that they were happy to keep Lyons this year, but with the focus on developing younger players he might struggle for a game. Brisbane offered him a 3 year deal and we shook hands with him and wished him well.
He wasn't sacked. We also needed to free up valuable cap space and I'm tipping Brisbane are paying most of his wage for this season.
Come rounds 6-8 we'll know more though. 77 clangers and ranked 620th in the league for disposal efficiency is hardly top shelf stuff.

Yeah those figures are very different to what we have seen so far in the 'it means nothing games'. Personally I hope he's found an extra gear but time will tell and if not, well it won't be the first time we've landed a nothing special

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Yeah those figures are very different to what we have seen so far in the 'it means nothing games'. Personally I hope he's found an extra gear but time will tell and if not, well it won't be the first time we've landed a nothing special
The one concern I had/have, was that we handed Lyons (and McCarthy and Adams) three year contracts. I'm not against taking a flyer on a mature player that meets a need. But if that player is injury prone, or delisted from another bottom rung team for a particular reason, three years is a significant commitment that puts pressure on the whole list.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The one concern I had/have, was that we handed Lyons (and McCarthy and Adams) three year contracts. I'm not against taking a flyer on a mature player that meets a need. But if that player is injury prone, or delisted from another bottom rung team for a particular reason, three years is a significant commitment that puts pressure on the whole list.
I also assume Lyons was on very good money at Suns. One would expect the same with Lions. I thought he was good in his first season under Rocket. The last year he was slowed down by bone spur. Solid B player, no gun.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I also assume Lyons was on very good money at Suns. One would expect the same with Lions. I thought he was good in his first season under Rocket. The last year he was slowed down by bone spur. Solid B player, no gun.
Reports we have is that Lyons took less money per year for the security of a 3 year contract. Obviously the money over the length of the 3 year contract is more than the one year he had remaining on GC's list.

Mike Whiting summed it up very well on the Lions Podcast, in that if Lyons stayed at GC, he faced delisting at the end of this year, and may not have received a contract at another club, or if he did, it might be a 1 year deal at minimum contract rates. Lyons contract at the Lions, while on less money per year than at GC, keeps him employed for 3 years.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
David Noble has a reputation for being pretty strict on player contracts and not over paying players. It's the reputation he had at the Crows. We've probably got a couple of years to find out if he keeps to the same mantra at the Lions.

So far we've found his trading for players reputation from the Crows to carry over to the Lions. In that he'll do what it takes to get his target, even if it appears that we have over paid in draft picks to secure that player. We paid a high price to get Charlie Cameron in to the club, same with Lachie Neale, and then Noble traded out our 2019 first round pick to help force Collingwood to pay to late first round picks for Dayne Beams. Many of Nobles trades have seen some heated discussions on the Lions board for the perceived high price he's willing to pay for what appears minimal gains.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We all saw what Captain Bedwetter did to Carlton in our beautiful jersey last year.
I’m not looking forward to tomorrow nights game. Could be a real gnashing of teeth experience as he has a night out in front of his big VFL Club entitled army.
Then those same imbeciles (including the VFL cheerleader media) will say it justifies his bedwetting, sneakiness and Durant-ing.

Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
England Cricket Team
We all saw what Captain Bedwetter did to Carlton in our beautiful jersey last year.
I’m not looking forward to tomorrow nights game. Could be a real gnashing of teeth experience as he has a night out in front of his big VFL Club entitled army.
Then those same imbeciles (including the VFL cheerleader media) will say it justifies his bedwetting, sneakiness and Durant-ing.
Lynch is Living in your head rent free

Jul 28, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
IMG_0023.JPG

I stumbled across this on Twitter, i can’t believe the arrogance of Rance the flog!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
wonder what sort of thing they're talking about. must have been a training drill or running pattern you'd think? interested to see how he goes at richmond under a different system.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Pretty sure this was the first off-season that serious resources went into player development away from the normal training sessions. Plus off-field welfare.

Also pretty sure that we were dead set last in footy department spending for most of our existence. As a result, we should expect worse player development than other clubs who spent a lot more. Iirc, in one season we were spending $4 or $5 million less than the big clubs.

For mine, that was the biggest failure by the AFL in establishing the club. The people they picked did not work, but one reason they did not get more experienced and better credentialed people was the piss poor budget given to the Suns early doors.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just caught the tail end of the conversation but sounded like the Vic media on Fox Footy (Lyon, J. Brown, McGuire) were getting stuck into us about Tom Lynch’s lack of development and how they can’t wait to see the super player he will now become at the Tigers. F**k me Dead :rolleyes:

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So that quote by Rance was for real, that Grass Cutter VFL cheerleader Lyon just confirmed it and in usual VFL Cheerleader Media style has a smug look on his face in delivering it.
The Self-Entitleds VFL Paper Bags Full Of Money Richmond have 4 Ex-Suns.
Doesn’t reflect too well on their ability to develop players.
It’s amazing I used to have some affection for Richmond with their constant misery but since winning a flag they’ve become arrogant and nasty.
They threw away a flag last year too, no injuries, it was theirs for the taking.
Good.

Back