Black Magic: The best Aboriginal 18 of all time:

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Good team. If you’re going for a balanced side I’d have Pickett (or even P Burgoyne) at HB and move O’Loughlin to HF. Jeffy Farmer to the bench.

Willie Dick also deserves a mention...

He always deserves a mention.

The first line is not a bad suggestion at all....I'll muse on it some more.

As to the rest of your post: This is a tautological free zone.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Stephen Michael > Maurice Rioli >>> Cyril > Ryder.

Jim Krakouer was not bad, but not in Maurice territory, maybe at times Cyril’s.

Maurice only had 6 years at VFL/AFL level, coming over at the peak of his career as a 24 year old....The fact remains that Cyril had a far better career & that they both played in different positions & had different roles.....Cyril could do things that Maurice could only dream about doing, like taking a grab on blokes shoulders for instance.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Maurice only had 6 years at VFL/AFL level, coming over at the peak of his career as a 24 year old....The fact remains that Cyril had a far better career & that they both played in different positions & had different roles.....Cyril could do things that Maurice could only dream about doing, like taking a grab on blokes shoulders for instance.

Maurice was in the guts, the centre. Cyril was a roaming forward.

Playing in the centre, generally means you are the best midfielder.

I saw most of Maurice’s career, I can assure you that he could do things Cyril could only dream off. He was a very tough player and ran for the whole length of the game ( very little interchange in his day ).

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Maurice was in the guts, the centre. Cyril was a roaming forward.

Playing in the centre, generally means you are the best midfielder.

I saw most of Maurice’s career, I can assure you that he could do things Cyril could only dream off. He was a very tough player and ran for the whole length of the game ( very little interchange in his day ).

I went to the football every week during the entirety of Maurice's career.....He was a magical footballer with Cyrilesque qualities to be sure.....But he was no Sizzle.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Entirety of Maurice’s career, if you say so.

It is unfortunate when we are making up these lists, and a lot of the candidates are being downgraded because part of their career didn’t take place in the bosom of Victorian football.

That's funny.... Maurice 'Magic' Rioli is still the centre-man in this threads greatest Aboriginal team of all time.....I must be missing something.

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Would be nice to squeeze Gilbert Mcadam onto the bench. Pickett played nearly twice as many games so hard to swap him or anyone else out.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Good team. If you’re going for a balanced side I’d have Pickett (or even P Burgoyne) at HB and move O’Loughlin to HF. Jeffy Farmer to the bench.

I've taken your suggestions on board.

Mickey O is now on the Half Forward flank, with Pickett taking the other half back flank....Farmer to the bench.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I assume Glen James gets to umpire?

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I assume Glen James gets to umpire?

Not after his efforts in the 1984 Grand Final he aint.

Though perhaps Mark Williams will likely be the coach.....Though I'm sure there's probably been a better indigenous coaching candidate in the footballing history annals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.

Though perhaps Mark Williams will likely be the coach.....Though I'm sure there's probably been a better indigenous coaching candidate in the footballing history annals.
I don't think Mark Williams qualifies, he's not an aboriginal!

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Don’t know, is Williams of aboriginal back ground?
Never knew that.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Really?....I always assumed he was part indigenous?
Not meant to be. I believe his heritage lies in the Caribbean/Africa.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...e/news-story/d3160104373d807e83716d8cd455a489

HE'S known as Choco, but the origin of Mark Williams' dark skin - and the family's athletic prowess - has always been a mystery...until now.
Research into the family bloodline has revealed that the Port Adelaide coach and SA's most successful football family are the descendants of an African-Jamaican slave.

Although some thought Choco was southern European, and many other believed he was part Aboriginal, Williams' cousin Christine Gibson has unravelled the family's history, revealing their great, great grandfather, Thomas Alexander Ferguson, was an Afro-Caribbean born 187 years ago - an orphan of the brutal transatlantic slave trade.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Barry cable did coach North for a bit.
Not to flash, but he was there for a bit.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
So Captain/Coach it'll have to be then.

Dang.....I was so sure that 'Choco' was of indigenous blood.
I thought I they’d go better if Barry just concentrates on playing.

Polly would be the ideal captain, as such a tower of brilliance.
And he’s got a bit irascible in his latter years. Maybe that makes him ideal coach material.

In a way, Kevin Sheedy being such a champion of indigenous players could be the coach?
He’d certainly promote the team too.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

And he’s got a bit irascible in his latter years. Maybe that makes him ideal coach material.

In a way, Kevin Sheedy being such a champion of indigenous players could be the coach?

I couldn't put a mad Irishman in charge of my indigenous brothers....Why on earth would I put them through that for?

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Mal Brown has more cred IMHO, he told Sheeds to look & when he ran off at the mouth (Browny) the likes of Nicky Winmar & Stephen Michael came out on his side.
Polly as captain coach.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Mal Brown has more cred IMHO, he told Sheeds to look & when he ran off at the mouth (Browny) the likes of Nicky Winmar & Stephen Michael came out on his side.
Polly as captain coach.

Whatever people claims Sheedy has done for indigenous footy players, Mal the Mouth had already done it years before.

Browny for all his negative points, championed the indigenous folk for many years before the VFL started to pay attention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back