Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you seriously suggesting rumours dont start on the internet for no reason? Or just on Facebook?
Either way, LMAO
Of coarse they do but when it gets into specific details like that then the thing you have to remember with those Facebook pages that someone who runs that page is legally liable for defamation if those rumours are not true. Yes we all know the internet is a horrible place but if you read my first post I was asking the Freo poster if he’d heard anything about the rumour because yeah I don’t believe everything I read on Facebook. Otherwise I would’ve said in post oh look what’s happening at the FFC again. The main reason I posted it was because of Lyon and his growing list of indescetions.

Last edited:
Of coarse they do but when it gets into specific details like that then the thing you have to remember with those Facebook pages that someone who runs that page is legally liable for defamation if those rumours are not true. Yes we all know the internet is a horrible place but if you read my first post I was asking the Freo poster if he’d heard anything about the rumour because yeah I don’t believe everything I read on Facebook. Otherwise I would’ve said in post oh look what’s happening at the FFC again. The main reason I posted it was because of Lyon and his growing list of indescetions.
All I can say is a Freo poster has already listed three players we didn,'t want to lose who've chosen to go there in recent years.

I think Cogs will re-sign shortly anyway, but history diesn'tsuggest Lyon is a turn off.

All I can say is a Freo poster has already listed three players we didn,'t want to lose who've chosen to go there in recent years.

I think Cogs will re-sign shortly anyway, but history diesn'tsuggest Lyon is a turn off.

So when he doesn’t do so like you think, then what? You move the goal posts to well he’d be silly not to hold out until season’s end?

It would’ve been more realistic if you worded your post as ‘I hope he resigns soon’.

Look I know the whole Cogs and Kelly contract situation is a sore spot for you and mist GWS fans but you don’t have to get your panties in a bunch when posters link him to other clubs. If you feel so strongly that he’ll resign soon then why are you getting so temperamental about it?

Also the

Also the 3 guys he named who by no means game changers... McCarthy (mummy’s boy), Hogan (father was terminally ill) and Wilson really have nothing to do with Cogs except the go home factor which by all reports he has never experienced.

So when he doesn’t do so like you think, then what? You move the goal posts to well he’d be silly not to hold out until season’s end?

It would’ve been more realistic if you worded your post as ‘I hope he resigns soon’.

Look I know the whole Cogs and Kelly contract situation is a sore spot for you and mist GWS fans but you don’t have to get your panties in a bunch when posters link him to other clubs. If you feel so strongly that he’ll resign soon then why are you getting so temperamental about it?
When you start telling me what I think, I know you're delusional. I expect Cogs to re-sign and it would be dishonest today anything else, it's that simple.

Reality is what it's, not what you want it to be.

I have no problem with other clubs being interested, it's what happens when a very good player is OOC and in this case reaches FA.

The WA clubs have some reason to think he's gettable , and I think they remember the 16yo who played WAFL.

Also the

Also the 3 guys he named who by no means game changers... McCarthy (mummy’s boy), Hogan (father was terminally ill) and Wilson really have nothing to do with Cogs except the go home factor which by all reports he has never experienced.
It's actually Lobb, McCarthy and Wilson. They all wanted to return to WA. Lobb and Wilson were mature guys not teenagers.

When you start telling me what I think, I know you're delusional. I expect Cogs to re-sign and it would be dishonest today anything else, it's that simple.

Reality is what it's, not what you want it to be.

I have no problem with other clubs being interested, it's what happens when a very good player is OOC and in this case reaches FA.

The WA clubs have some reason to think he's gettable , and I think they remember the 16yo who played WAFL.

You were telling me what you think so don’t get it twisted. Your obviously worried about the Hawks lurking so much that you’d rather him sign with Freo or West Coast. It’s your prerogative to feel that way but it just makes me feel more confident that we’ll get him. I’ll be waiting patiently for the negotiations to be put off until the end of the season.

You were telling me what you think so don’t get it twisted. Your obviously worried about the Hawks lurking so much that you’d rather him sign with Freo or West Coast. It’s your prerogative to feel that way but it just makes me feel more confident that we’ll get him. I’ll be waiting patiently for the negotiations to be put off until the end of the season.
images (10).jpeg

I wasn’t belittling the FFC at all. My post was directed at Lyon and the last couple of incidents with staff that he’s been involved with. Players are not stupid and when they choose clubs to go to then good team culture is most definitely something that they will consider. I’m not going to pretend like I know everything about what goes on inside the FFC but it’s definitely not talked about like Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney. If you want to take that as me belittling the FFC well that’s not what I was intending. As I said in my original post, Lyon has had a couple of indescretions not just at Freo but also at Sydney and St Kilda and definitely does not have the best reputation as a coach players want to play for.
My evidence that it is not an issue is the 10 or so players (including several high profile ones) that have move to us in the last few years.

What is yours? Big Footy main board?

You are trying to convince yourself that we are no chance to make you feel better about Hawthorn's prospects. That's fine, but don't dress it up to be anything else and don't include me in any of it.

You guys only have 1 high profile player that I know of and he hasn’t been the same since he tried to hurt Sam Mitchell’s knee with his shin
The current list contains 4 All Australians. Know many low profile All Australians?

I'm beginning to think you're just trolling now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The current list contains 4 All Australians. Know many low profile All Australians?

I'm beginning to think you're just trolling now.
Nope I’m not trolling at all. Being AA might just mean a lot more to you than it does to others. Kind of like how other coaches were voted COY whilst Clarko has never been COY once. There’s a couple of guys I really rate on Freo’s list but I wouldn’t go as far as say there stars.

Given the way Hawthorn (and GWS) trade, I'd expect us to be GWS preference in any dealing, IF he was to go.

Port, WCE and Geelong (Wingard, Kelly and Gaff) will hold players to their contracts and demand top-dollar in return, Freo will usually try to get players cheaply, whilst Hawthorn and GWS (and Blues for that matter) seem to take the approach of just getting it done - even if it means letting players go for unders - the benefit to the whole group (knowing they will be looked after should they choose to leave/look around) outweighs the short-term losses.

Given the way Hawthorn (and GWS) trade, I'd expect us to be GWS preference in any dealing, IF he was to go.

Port, WCE and Geelong (Wingard, Kelly and Gaff) will hold players to their contracts and demand top-dollar in return, Freo will usually try to get players cheaply, whilst Hawthorn and GWS (and Blues for that matter) seem to take the approach of just getting it done - even if it means letting players go for unders - the benefit to the whole group (knowing they will be looked after should they choose to leave/look around) outweighs the short-term losses.
I kind if agree, there is a downside for us in playing hardball over Cogs. That could just be not matching a bid though.

Last edited:
I kind if agree, there is a downside for us in playing hardball over Cogs. That could just be not matching a bid though.
Agreed. Who matches anyway? We let Bud walk for nothing. Lynch walked.

If Cogs has valid reasons as to why he wants to leave, I can’t see Leon standing in his way.

That's actually the first sensible thing I've read from you in this thread. The best coach in this business as well.
Are you talking about the little guy that’s never won COY? Yeah there’s him and whole lot of other reasons why I think Cogs will consider choosing Hawthorn. Does his bromance with JOM play a part in a move to us? I’d say sort of but more so due to things like Cogs asking JOM ‘hey what’s it like playing under the best coach in the business’ and ‘hey what’s this I always hear about how great Hawthorn’s fitness department is’. Yeah he could get that kind of info from other players but not from someone he trusts like he would a good mate. Seriously though one of the main reasons why I think he’ll be considering us is the chance to be playing on the MCG throughout the year in front of more than the 10,000 or so fans he does now. Finally Cogs doesn’t seem like the kind guy to let these things drag out and if he does then then it’s safe to say you’ll have something to worry about especially since your head honchos have said to him and Kelly ‘hey guys... name your terms’. I’m not going to argue with you cause everything I say you’ve taken as Hawthorn arrogance but just keep in mind it’s always easier when the shoe is on the other foot like when Buddy was a FA and GWS were chasing him hard.

Based on absolutely nothing, I think he re-signs for 2 years to get to UFA status then he’ll go to West Coast to finish his career.

I’d love him at Freo but I think his head and heart say West Coast.

Based on absolutely nothing, I think he re-signs for 2 years to get to UFA status then he’ll go to West Coast to finish his career.

I’d love him at Freo but I think his head and heart say West Coast.
Definitely depends what Cogs values. Think we’ll be able to fit him in the cap if he nominated us chasing flags and was willing to take unders money wise.

Trading with GWS is another issue entirely. Don’t see how we can get the value up enough this year when they inevitably match. Would love to grab him but not at the compromise of the rest of the list, with both cap and draft picks, and don’t see GWS doing us any favours (probably accept a late 3rd rounder from Hawthorn though :p).

900k (about the same as Yeo and Shuey) and 2 firsts (top 10 2019 and 2020) would probably be as far as I’d go. Obviously going to be better offers than that but like I said.. depends what he’s looking for.

Definitely depends what Cogs values. Think we’ll be able to fit him in the cap if he nominated us chasing flags and was willing to take unders money wise.

Trading with GWS is another issue entirely. Don’t see how we can get the value up enough this year when they inevitably match. Would love to grab him but not at the compromise of the rest of the list, with both cap and draft picks, and don’t see GWS doing us any favours (probably accept a late 3rd rounder from Hawthorn though :p).

900k (about the same as Yeo and Shuey) and 2 firsts (top 10 2019 and 2020) would probably be as far as I’d go. Obviously going to be better offers than that but like I said.. depends what he’s looking for.

Do you understand how free agency works? If he wants to go to WC then if they can fit him into the salary cap then there’s nothing stopping them from acquiring him. Well the only thing would be if GWS we’re to match that offer but I’m pretty sure only 1 team has ever done so or threatened to do so since FA inception.

Last edited:
Do you understand how free agency works? If he wants to go to WC then if they can fit him into the salary cap then there’s nothing stopping them from acquiring him. Well the only thing would be if GWS we’re to match that offer but I’m pretty sure only 1 team has ever done so or threatened to do so since FA inception.
Yeah 100% know how it works haha. Was just assuming GWS would be matching my personal limit I put up. Hypothetically 900k.. if they’re not matching that for a player of his quality the list manager needs the sack.

There hasn’t been any real need to match offers as most clubs are pretty fair when it comes to these situations as they want it reciprocated when it’s their turn to lose players, we aren’t as ruthless as the American sports. Given that WC are also a fair trading club I’d still expect us not to try lowballing GWS and give them full value, regardless of if they match, threaten to match, or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back