Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Maybe they want to see him dominate the VFL; the same approach we take with all our youngsters.

Maybe. Can only presume that with the current list state they don't see an immediate obvious 2nd tall position in the forward line and VFL will be the path to demand a place.

I wasn’t being sarcastic, at least not intentionally. We have consistently applied the old hawthorn model of leaving kids to develop in the vfl for a bit longer than other clubs. Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule.

Oh! A thousand apologies.

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wonder if any of these guys are still in contention for a round one spot? Probably not.

What's the verdict BE? Genuine KP or more a HF?

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've been a fan of his since I first saw him play in the ressies. To me, he's a natural footballer, just gets to the right spots, clean and great build. I think he is suited across half forward because of overhead ability and running capacity.

Official monitoring speak was to have him at 110 in the upper bracket/region/level ..... forgot the word they used. Played to 107 - minutes I presume and was put on ice at 107, not literally.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Thought the footage of Garns in this was super impressive and it just flooded all back to me why I love watching him play and want him back badly. He was showing intense mongrel in his game as he would when he was on fire. Kicked a few goals, looked really fit.

Please tell me this'll be enough for the club to bring him back to best 22 status. I know they're being careful but jesus christ can we get this bloke out there he looks fine.

Thought the footage of Garns in this was super impressive and it just flooded all back to me why I love watching him play and want him back badly. He was showing intense mongrel in his game as he would when he was on fire. Kicked a few goals, looked really fit.

Please tell me this'll be enough for the club to bring him back to best 22 status. I know they're being careful but jesus christ can we get this bloke out there he looks fine.

Let him dominate the vfl for a month, then unleash him.

Id honestly love an update (post-yesterday) in the way of "Garner woke up without an injury" from nmfc.
Absolutely, exactly, categorically 100% what I was thinking. North supporters would not give a rats arse if he failed to get a possession and gave away 10 free kicks. All we care about is that he got through unscathed, no injuries and with his hammies in a state of steel like zen.

Come on North. Put our minds to rest.

Would love to see him play games this year. He is an absolute physical powerhouse now. His physicality is off the charts - like Turner but with an extra 10kgs of muscle and a whole bunch of other tricks. Fingers crossed for him and the club.

Would love to see him play games this year. He is an absolute physical powerhouse now. His physicality is off the charts - like Turner but with an extra 10kgs of muscle and a whole bunch of other tricks. Fingers crossed for him and the club.

Strange comparison to Turner.

I feel if our game wasn’t interstate he’d almost play round 1. Fingers crossed he’s turned the corner.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Strange comparison to Turner.

I feel if our game wasn’t interstate he’d almost play round 1. Fingers crossed he’s turned the corner.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think it's that strange. Both base their game around high physicality at the man and the contest.

I don't think it's that strange. Both base their game around high physicality at the man and the contest.
I rate your posting very highly. The only reason I question the Garner/Turner comparison, is that I see Turner as an extremely limited footballer. I had very high hopes for him in this first two seasons, as on top of the manic attack on the ball and the man, he seemed to show plenty of quality. He was reasonably good mark for his size, neat kick. But since then he has shown zero X factor in the forward line, no ability to run through the middle for any periods, and is basically just a pure pressure player who would struggle to get a game for any top 6 team IMHO.

Garner on the other hand has X factor written all over him. He is a very good mark for his size, including contested marking. He has so many exciting attributes that we are screaming out for. His only real question mark is his kicking for goal, and obviously his hamstring.

I rate your posting very highly. The only reason I question the Garner/Turner comparison, is that I see Turner as an extremely limited footballer. I had very high hopes for him in this first two seasons, as on top of the manic attack on the ball and the man, he seemed to show plenty of quality. He was reasonably good mark for his size, neat kick. But since then he has shown zero X factor in the forward line, no ability to run through the middle for any periods, and is basically just a pure pressure player who would struggle to get a game for any top 6 team IMHO.

Garner on the other hand has X factor written all over him. He is a very good mark for his size, including contested marking. He has so many exciting attributes that we are screaming out for. His only real question mark is his kicking for goal, and obviously his hamstring.

The comparison is based on their physical styles only. Agree with pretty much everything else although I will say that Turner has shown some ability to act as a catalyst. Watching some 2018 replays over the last few weeks and it's surprising how often he bobbed up with the required pressure and turnover to us when needed, particularly when we were still in the fight for finals. Personally I don’t think Turner is or ever will be a great forward. I would be interested to see whether he could build the body type to play as a run with player but my opinion is that you need a great football brain to do this nowadays (a la Jacobs) – I’m not sure Turner has that either. Certainly has some work ahead of him to retain his position.

Back