Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know that I'd be able to run it, but what if we did a comp where the first 18 to express interest become those who take over an AFL club. That "owner" would then be responsible for a new kit set for the season. Same scheduling as current AFL (Indigenous Round, etc...).
So like, an "Our Ideal AFL 2019"?

I don't know that I'd be able to run it, but what if we did a comp where the first 18 to express interest become those who take over an AFL club. That "owner" would then be responsible for a new kit set for the season. Same scheduling as current AFL (Indigenous Round, etc...).
I like this idea actually :)

We could go back to as early as GWS's 1st season in the league or start with this season. I prefer the latter timed exactly with the season as a kind of faux comparison to what's actually happening. If we did the former, we could do it every four days until we're caught up. After the first season, we operate like a normal recurring comp where anyone no longer interested can have their slot filled by someone else.

So like, an "Our Ideal AFL 2019"?
If you wanted it to be that way. I was also thinking along the lines of peoples' complaints over clash kits from previous seasons (ahem *Richmond* ahem)

I like this idea actually :)
Thought it might be worth a gamble...

We could go back to as early as GWS's 1st season in the league or start with this season. I prefer the latter timed exactly with the season as a kind of faux comparison to what's actually happening. If we did the former, we could do it every four days until we're caught up. After the first season, we operate like a normal recurring comp where anyone no longer interested can have their slot filled by someone else.

If you wanted it to be that way. I was also thinking along the lines of peoples' complaints over clash kits from previous seasons (ahem *Richmond* ahem)

Thought it might be worth a gamble...
Would the go be that you can't copy the teams current home?

Would the go be that you can't copy the teams current home?
Correct, any of the current or past kits other than for "heritage" purposes restricted to one per season. So If I wanted to do the orange roo, I wouldn't be able to do the regular bounding roo for North. Or for Port if I chose the feathers, then I couldn't use the prison bars. This is not to say you can't use any elements of past or present jumpers, but they'd still need to be distinct enough as determined by the comp mod.

I've now put it into the OP.

Has there ever been a proposal in this thread that you didn't like?
It is called giving support to fellow board members and their ideas!

Also to answer your question, I don't like the idea of the Gridiron League primarily because I am not a fan of the sport however if we had to vote for that league to commence, I would support it even though I wouldn't submit a team I would still support the league and wish it the very best of success.

It is called giving support to fellow board members and their ideas!

Also to answer your question, I don't like the idea of the Gridiron League primarily because I am not a fan of the sport however if we had to vote for that league to commence, I would support it even though I wouldn't submit a team I would still support the league and wish it the very best of success.
Please don't try and lecture me on being a supportive member of this community. I'd like to think that I am pretty positive and encouraging when it comes to the ideas of other members of this board and that others see me that way too.

On to your answer though, that's my point. You are happy to give your support to a proposal in this thread, but you have zero interest in entering and actually giving a competition the support it needs to succeed. Personally, I'll only throw my support behind a proposal that I have every intention of supporting with an entry, so I am not setting one of my fellow board members up to fail with their comp.

Also, the mods need to know that there is genuine enthusiasm behind these proposals before they give them the go-ahead, so we continue to have an active and successful competition scene on here, and we don't do them any favours by simply going along with everything that comes up. I hope this doesn't come off as an attack on you, but I think that it is just worth mentioning that we all need to think carefully about what we throw our support behind as there is a lot of work that goes into running a competition on here and we should only let someone go through that effort if we really think their idea can be a success.

To address your idea Norm Landrover, I just reckon that it feels a lot like what we are already doing in the annual jumper ideas thread when it comes to fixing up parts the jumpers that we don't like, as well as proposing throwbacks and creating more sensible clash jumpers. I also think that generally these days we have been looking for more 'quick fire' competitions rather than something that drags out for a while which this has the prospect of doing.

If you did it in a group stage & knockout tournament with a real focus on rebranding the club that each poster supports with no existing IP allowed to be used, then I can start to see it being a really interesting concept that allows designers to be really creative.

Members of this board and that others see me that way too.

On to your answer though, that's my point. You are happy to give your support to a proposal in this thread, but you have zero interest in entering and actually giving a competition the support it needs to succeed. Personally, I'll only throw my support behind a proposal that I have every intention of supporting with an entry, so I am not setting one of my fellow board members up to fail with their comp.

Also, the mods need to know that there is genuine enthusiasm behind these proposals before they give them the go-ahead, so we continue to have an active and successful competition scene on here, and we don't do them any favours by simply going along with everything that comes up. I hope this doesn't come off as an attack on you, but I think that it is just worth mentioning that we all need to think carefully about what we throw our support behind as there is a lot of work that goes into running a competition on here and we should only let someone go through that effort if we really think their idea can be a success.
He actually has inquired about my idea and we have had a constructive exchange so far, partially based on your considerations...

To address your idea Norm Landrover, I just reckon that it feels a lot like what we are already doing in the annual jumper ideas thread when it comes to fixing up parts the jumpers that we don't like, as well as proposing throwbacks and creating more sensible clash jumpers. I also think that generally these days we have been looking for more 'quick fire' competitions rather than something that drags out for a while which this has the prospect of doing.

If you did it in a group stage & knockout tournament with a real focus on rebranding the club that each poster supports with no existing IP allowed to be used, then I can start to see it being a really interesting concept that allows designers to be really creative.

I have not been on as much recently to keep a pulse around here unfortunately and the annual ideas thread is not one I was aware of. But also my initial suggestion was vague because I wanted to test the waters of reception before I gave further detail. Length was only on premise of seeing how it could actually play out. I am actually in favor of a shorter season. As for rebranding, that was never excluded from the realm of possibility.

So I've had an idea for a sort of tipping comp with a twist, if anybody is interested. Its based on the goalkicking games that some of the club boards use, and the gauntlet style game that some online tipping comps use.

Each week, players pick one away team to choose what uniform they wear (jumper and shorts). If you get it right, you stay in. Get it wrong and you're out. Once you've used a team, you can't use that team again.

So for example, for round one you might say "Richmond - Clash jumper with white shorts". If you are correct, you move on, but can't select Richmond again for the remainder of the comp.

The reason I'm excluding home teams is because that part is too easy, and everyone will just keep using home teams. The only tricky thing that I can see is that there is the potential for there to be a round where there all the away teams are those you have already picked, but maybe that can just be part of the challenge - you have to look ahead and ensure you're not leaving yourself short of teams to pick. With the AFL's policy there is every chance that nobody lasts ten rounds anyway.

So what do people think. Worth giving a crack and seeing how it goes?

So I've had an idea for a sort of tipping comp with a twist, if anybody is interested. Its based on the goalkicking games that some of the club boards use, and the gauntlet style game that some online tipping comps use.

Each week, players pick one away team to choose what uniform they wear (jumper and shorts). If you get it right, you stay in. Get it wrong and you're out. Once you've used a team, you can't use that team again.

So for example, for round one you might say "Richmond - Clash jumper with white shorts". If you are correct, you move on, but can't select Richmond again for the remainder of the comp.

The reason I'm excluding home teams is because that part is too easy, and everyone will just keep using home teams. The only tricky thing that I can see is that there is the potential for there to be a round where there all the away teams are those you have already picked, but maybe that can just be part of the challenge - you have to look ahead and ensure you're not leaving yourself short of teams to pick. With the AFL's policy there is every chance that nobody lasts ten rounds anyway.

So what do people think. Worth giving a crack and seeing how it goes?

Sounds like good fun, I'm keen. It'll be very challenging and it's a little more demanding than the standard jumper tipping (the same way Gauntlet tipping is more challenging than regular tipping)

Maybe a badge/medal for the winner ;)?

Sounds like good fun, I'm keen. It'll be very challenging and it's a little more demanding than the standard jumper tipping (the same way Gauntlet tipping is more challenging than regular tipping)

Maybe a badge/medal for the winner ;)?

Chief had a slightly sarcastic response about the amount of medals dished out when I asked him to award them recently, so we might keep the powder dry on too many more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to reply to this more here rather than the R1 thread, because spam.
I had a few ideas to revamp the tipping comp, though I won't have the time to run it this season.
1. Have everyone tip the entire season prior to Round 1 starting. R1 - R23, whoever gets the most right by the end of the season wins
2. A Round robin style competition, similar to DreamTeam/SuperCoach, where you have a fixture and ladder.

Thoughts on these??

Going to reply to this more here rather than the R1 thread, because spam.
I had a few ideas to revamp the tipping comp, though I won't have the time to run it this season.
1. Have everyone tip the entire season prior to Round 1 starting. R1 - R23, whoever gets the most right by the end of the season wins
2. A Round robin style competition, similar to DreamTeam/SuperCoach, where you have a fixture and ladder.

Thoughts on these??
I'll enter if we do the second one. It's a refreshing take on the concept.

Chief had a slightly sarcastic response about the amount of medals dished out when I asked him to award them recently, so we might keep the powder dry on too many more.

basically I have too many medals? ;)

Medals are one of those things. Where does it end?

I'd be content if medals were only handed out for NAFL. Maybe POTY as well.

Still hoping to strip back the POTY/DOTY badges to only be worn for the year and for a permanent FJGD HOF to be put in place instead where you get a one-off permanent badge.

As for FJGD comps, happy with NAFL as the only comp that gets a badge, adds to the prestige of it.

Still hoping to strip back the POTY/DOTY badges to only be worn for the year and for a permanent FJGD HOF to be put in place instead where you get a one-off permanent badge.

As for FJGD comps, happy with NAFL as the only comp that gets a badge, adds to the prestige of it.

Yeah I'm fully supportive of the HoF concept.

View attachment 640163

You saw it here first folks!
Beautiful template. They've even added the shape of the AFL logo :)
Hahaha!!! I dont have regular access to a computer with Inkscape at the moment and I was thinking about drawing some designs by hand, taking photos of them and entering the weekly comps. Now here is the perfect template!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hahaha!!! I dont have regular access to a computer with Inkscape at the moment and I was thinking about drawing some designs by hand, taking photos of them and entering the weekly comps. Now here is the perfect template!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Won't lie this has me wondering how a comp where one of the rules is that all entries must be on the same program with the same template would go.

Actually TBH I kinda wanna see that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back