Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
There is a difference between "unpleasant" sponsors & "unpleasant" Owners of sporting Clubs.

There is also a difference between "unpleasant" Russian corrupt oligarchs/ Middle Eastern brutal, mediaeval dictatorships... and the Chinese Communist Party.

The CCP:-
. is in control of the world's biggest land army; & a very large navy & Air Force, which is now projecting its power into the North & South Pacific
. has an international nuclear arsenal/missiles/atomic & hydrogen bombs
. has the world's 2nd biggest economy (some say it will be the biggest in the next 20 years).
. is seeking close ties with South Pacific island states, & PNG (which is causing bipartisan political consternation in Australia)
. has been responsible for the deaths /starvation of many millions of its own citizens
. is claiming exclusive navigation and "fly-over" rights to vast areas of the Pacific (all its claims have been refuted in International Tribunals).
. has invaded Vietnam in 1978; was the main supporter of the murderous (500,000-1,500,000?) Pol Pot Cambodian regime; & the main supporter of brutal Nth Korea.
. if it enforces militarily the "exclusion zones", this would be to the great economic detriment of Australian trading ships, & Australian commercial aviation/tourism (much longer & more expensive routes).

Thus, China is a potential military threat to Australia.
Late in 2018, one of its naval vessels almost rammed-deliberately- a US navy vessel in international waters (near one of its man-made reef islands), which China claims as its exclusion zone. If similar actions cause actual military hostilities, I believe there will be a significant backlash against China in Australia & the West/other Asian countries. There will be opprobrium for Chinese owned/controlled soccer Clubs, & the A League.

Trouble is Mate, China already have massive investments in Australia and will own Australia in the next 50 years and wont have to invade us to do it!

If China pulled the plug on our minerals exports today we would be broke in a year and begging for mercy.

China is the worlds rising power if we like it or not and you either work with them or get left out in the cold.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Trouble is Mate, China already have massive investments in Australia and will own Australia in the next 50 years and wont have to invade us to do it!

If China pulled the plug on our minerals exports today we would be broke in a year and begging for mercy.

China is the worlds rising power if we like it or not and you either work with them or get left out in the cold.
People said the same about Japan 15 years ago.

Also, Chinese investment in Australia is dwarfed by a number of other countries.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
USA and UK are streets ahead and Canadian Pension funds have found a liking for Oz infrastructure assets the last decade or so. But they don't have sloped eyes, so its ok.

Settle down with the race baiting. Those countries are our traditional allies, whereas China obviously isn't. If it was Russia in place of China there would be the same scepticism.

I do agree that it's a bit overboard though.

Settle down with the race baiting. Those countries are our traditional allies, whereas China obviously isn't. If it was Russia in place of China there would be the same scepticism.

I do agree that it's a bit overboard though.
China was our ally for over 100 years up until 1949. People forget that. The yanks and poms had treaties and free trade agreements with them, and as colonies, pre 1901 we were supposed to adhere to the mother countries treaties and agreements.

The slopes comment was because that's what most people think. They are different, so in their eyes its not acceptable foreign investment, yet yanks and poms owing majority or 100% of some industries is acceptable and they are completely oblivious to it.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
I see the NRL match last night rated 5% higher than any H/A game last season. Great start for them and probably goes to show how little “off field scandals” actually affect a sports popularity amongst its fans.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see the NRL match last night rated 5% higher than any H/A game last season. Great start for them and probably goes to show how little “off field scandals” actually affect a sports popularity amongst its fans.

Yeah pretty good foxtel numbers particularly. It got about the same as last year's opener on FTA in Sydney and Brisbane. Almost 1.2M including regional which is about what a good Friday night gets for the AFL

Only disappointing numbers for them is 48K in Melbourne. I would have thought pretty disappointing for a prime time Storm opener given the lack of AFL

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
no mention of the Cronulla Sharks windfall:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/784b8bc2fbe3ab645e05078b56c71519

The Cronulla Sharks have ensured their long-term NRL future after the club secured an incredible $40 million deal to fast-track property development cash.
The Daily Telegraph revealed the mammoth agreement, set to be announced shortly, which will see the club paid an immediate $9 million to address all their debts, their salary cap fine and an anticipated $3 million loss in 2019.

.... Later this year developers Capital Bluestone will also contribute $18 million into a future investments fund which should hand the club an estimated $1.5 million in income per year.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Good result at the Aus Grand Prix, crowds up:
Organisers of the Australian Grand Prix have announced an estimated attendance of 324,000 across the event’s four days.

It marked the highest attendance at the event since 2005 (359,000), and a 10 percent increase over the 295,000 strong figure from last year.

“I am absolutely happy,” Australian Grand Prix Corporation CEO Andrew Westacott told Speedcafe.com.

“The estimated crowd last year was 295,000 and this year it came out at 324,000, so to be up (10 percent) year on year is sensational.

“To go from 95,000 to 102,000 on race day it was sensational.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/03/17/australian-gp-attracts-biggest-four-day-crowd-since-2005/

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
How did the NBL finals rate/crowds?

Talking to myself but thats not unusual, good lift in crowds:
The NBL confirmed today that the grand final series had been the highest-attended in competition’s 40-year history with 45,971 fans watching the four games. It broke last year’s record of 44,260 in five games.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-...hails-ninth-title-as-best-ever-ng-b881138454z

Good man that Jack Bendat, lets hope he gets to see another:
Mr Bendat, who initially spent $8 million of his personal fortune to revive the Wildcats in 2006, has committed to bankrolling the Wildcats for “two to three years” in the event of his sudden passing. He said today’s victory may have been the last championship he would see.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Good result at the Aus Grand Prix, crowds up:
Organisers of the Australian Grand Prix have announced an estimated attendance of 324,000 across the event’s four days.

It marked the highest attendance at the event since 2005 (359,000), and a 10 percent increase over the 295,000 strong figure from last year.

“I am absolutely happy,” Australian Grand Prix Corporation CEO Andrew Westacott told Speedcafe.com.

“The estimated crowd last year was 295,000 and this year it came out at 324,000, so to be up (10 percent) year on year is sensational.

“To go from 95,000 to 102,000 on race day it was sensational.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/03/17/australian-gp-attracts-biggest-four-day-crowd-since-2005/

Yes you could see the crowds had improved on TV and didnt Melbourne look a picture on a magnificent day weather wise?

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Hasmt the F1 previously clashed with the AFL on weekends. I think having clean air and Daniel helped them a lot. Looked like a successful weekend for them. It is probably best that the F1 and the AFL keep out of each other ways.

As for the NBL, we didnt hear about it much down here on this island. Just bits and parts, which is a shame. I am assuming the people in Perth really got behind the final series though and United are big enough to sell out a large stadium. Just getting across mainstream national news will always be a challenge.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hasmt the F1 previously clashed with the AFL on weekends. I think having clean air and Daniel helped them a lot. Looked like a successful weekend for them. It is probably best that the F1 and the AFL keep out of each other ways.

As for the NBL, we didnt hear about it much down here on this island. Just bits and parts, which is a shame. I am assuming the people in Perth really got behind the final series though and United are big enough to sell out a large stadium. Just getting across mainstream national news will always be a challenge.
Yes, I agree ... it seemed to me the F1 GP swamped the NBL GF for attention and interest in Melbourne. Apart from the (not all that numerous) dedicated United fans, the general interest in the NBL GF was tepid at best, and it was just ignored or forgotten by most.

Last edited:

articles today attributed a lot of the bump to Riccardo, incredibly popular here, and did a tonne of promo work (which he actually may reduce moving forward as he think he didn't help his preparation)

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Re: A-league ratings, I think what's hurt it this summer is Fox getting the cricket rights and putting all the emphasis in marketing and promotion into that. Inevitable that A-league would suffer when that used to be Fox Sports main summer showpiece.

But one of the main reasons imo Fox went after cricket so hard is because A-league just wasn't rating well enough to justify being Fox's main summer sports showcase.

When Fox lost the summer cricket rights & Oz open tennis in recent years it was a great opportunity for A-League to step up as a ratings strength for the network; instead the opposite happened.

Back