Are we realistically ever gonna win another flag in the next century?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't express strongly enough my disappointment that you didn't go with the thread title: "Are we ever going to win a flag again? No way, get ****ed, * off!"

Missed opportunity like this doesn't come around every day. Mods?

Last edited:

It can be done, look at Footscray, worse than us forever, suddenly one year they are better than us, well coached and a game plan and they win the flag. Immediately after they are back to being worse than us and probably will be for ten years. We have the team now, that is capable of contending in the near future. My only worry would be, if we don't do it on this attempt..say in the next 5 years, will the footy landscape have changed so much to make it harder.

I don't like the way player/agent power is going, Free agency although we have had some benefit from it is a danger to us I believe. Players being able to demand trades to name the only destination they are willing to play for, is a danger to us. Anything that enables teams like the Hawks and Swans to stay up the top of the ladder for so long is a danger to the us and the future health of the league in my opinion.

My beef with the thread title is related to its inherent ambiguity. It seems to be two questions masquerading as one. Unless we are accepting the end of the world within the next 100 years as a given then "ever" and "in the next century" appear to be posing two distinctly different questions. However, given that if we were to win a flag in the next century this would presumably be accepted as constituting a part of "ever", then it's the ever which seems to be the issue.
So if we simplify the question to "Are we realistically gonna win a flag in the next century?" then responding becomes a much simpler proposition.
My opinion: "Who the F&*k knows? But we're as good a chance as anyone except Collingwood, the Eagles, Sydney and The expansion Clubs who clearly are the beneficiaries of the AFL's not so secret secondary Agendas such as TV ratings, $$$$ and expanding the market.

I will answer the OP's question I feel we will win 15 flags during the next 100 years. And this will be down to playing our games at what was Marvel Stadium and will be known as Winfield Stadium after it has been discovered smoking cures cancer.

Of course it's the roof that's saved us as the average June temp of 63 degrees has taken care of Geelong and the penchant for redhead footballers. No ones been able to live in WA for about 30 years, Queensland is now underwater. Sydney finally admitted they don't give a s**t about footy.

So while we might seem to be dillydallying currently and probably for the next 30 years, our flags will come in a rush.

What is baffling to me how anybody can extrapolate our future prospects based solely on the last 20 years? In 5-10 years our list will barely resemble what it currently is, in 20 it will be entirely different, and throughout this time there will likely be numerous changes to the coaching staff, facilities etc. it is literally the same for every club. Hell 10 years ago St Kilda were a powerhouse and look how much has changed for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Born in the 70's to a Fitzroy family and only started following the roos since 2002 I have never seen a flag or felt that sense of relief

The journey has been long with many a winding road.

Stick fat, we're about to make our move again.:thumbsu:

What is baffling to me how anybody can extrapolate our future prospects based solely on the last 20 years? In 5-10 years our list will barely resemble what it currently is, in 20 it will be entirely different, and throughout this time there will likely be numerous changes to the coaching staff, facilities etc. it is literally the same for every club. Hell 10 years ago St Kilda were a powerhouse and look how much has changed for them.

Just want to say....I know thread title is over the top. Not the intention to unsettle anyone. Just been feeling like we’ve been on a treadmill for quite some time. The bottom line is I really hope we move forward and go that extra step soon and don’t end up on this treadmill for a long time. That is all.

Born in the 70's to a Fitzroy family and only started following the roos since 2002 I have never seen a flag or felt that sense of relief

The journey has been long with many a winding road.

Given you have been around for 2019 (well in spirit) years I wouldn’t stress

Just want to say....I know thread title is over the top. Not the intention to unsettle anyone. Just been feeling like we’ve been on a treadmill for quite some time. The bottom line is I really hope we move forward and go that extra step soon and don’t end up on this treadmill for a long time. That is all.

When you posted your OP did you have a shovel to keep digging your hole?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back