Prediction Third club for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only way there'll ever be a third WA side is if one of the regional cities ends up growing much bigger (e.g. Albany, Geraldton etc) and can support it's own team a la Geelong.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
If it happens as part of a grand plan to fix the fixture and expansion of the comp to 20+ teams then fine. What I don't want to see is any more teams until the bullshit that is the current fixture is corrected. As the AFL seemingly is refusing to change the length of the season, 20+ teams gives so much more flexibility - play every team once only, or play each team twice in a conference system, a promotion/relegation system or many others that and I'm sure people could come up with.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only way there'll ever be a third WA side is if one of the regional cities ends up growing much bigger (e.g. Albany, Geraldton etc) and can support it's own team a la Geelong.

Here's the crazy thing: there is close to 200,000 people living in the South-West Region. And the WAFL can't even expand to have a SW team based in Bunbury.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
There's been talk of this on the footy industry board for years.

By population (and income) it works. What I can't see is a model that would get enough support. IMO Joondalup wouldn't work, it's an area with no identity and it's basically just Perth suburbia.
The only idea that I think would have a chance is a working class model team based in the Eastern suburbs, maybe Kelmscott/Armadale or something like that. Even then, I doubt many people would jump on board early, it'd take 20 years and some success on field.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Joondalup makes the most sense if it were to happen. Although WC would fight any proposition for a new team tooth and nail and do their best to sabotage the new club at every stage especially if, as would be expected, their flunkies at the WAFC were steering the ship. It would slice the largest chunk off their supporter base for starters and also dilute their state-team pretensions.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's been talk of this on the footy industry board for years.

By population (and income) it works. What I can't see is a model that would get enough support. IMO Joondalup wouldn't work, it's an area with no identity and it's basically just Perth suburbia.
The only idea that I think would have a chance is a working class model team based in the Eastern suburbs, maybe Kelmscott/Armadale or something like that. Even then, I doubt many people would jump on board early, it'd take 20 years and some success on field.
There isn't any area with a singular footy/community identity within a discrete geographical area that also has a population base to support an AFL team in WA though. It'd have to be created.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
People need to come up with a better rationale than dividing the total population of Perth by three instead of two and/or peddling the "there's a generation of kids who've never seen live footy in Perth" myth.

Maybe, maybe, Mandurah/Bunbury could work as a Geelong-type set-up in 15-20 years, assuming the population grows at the current trajectory. But there's no latent base of supporters or money to get behind another Perth-based side.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
West Coast is too powerful and well supported for there to be an an independent start up team.
The only way a third team in WA could have any support is if West Coast Eagles got split into two teams - Perth Eagles and West Coast Falcons.
If WC fans were split in two (not literally), there would be three teams with equal support.

Ranger245

Debutant
Aug 13, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The way I see it FFC Represents the greater Freo area, WC represents the West Coast, so say an area of land from the lapping ocean water up to perhaps 25 meters onto land, from say Augusta to Exmouth (Excluding of course the greater Fremantle area that also happens to be on the west coast). So there is ample realestate available for the 3rd team to represent. Perhaps the Broome, Meekatharra, Kalgoorlie, Albany and surrounding areas, plus Perth, which isn't in the WC zone given its more than 25 meters from the coast. That area should provide the 3rd team with well over 2 million potential supporters.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
A high percentage of WAs population doesn’t follow footy in enough depth to financially support a team, so using population isn’t an accurate gauge of demand or sustainability.

Bush_Chook

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor A Star Wars Fan
Oct 30, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Could see a team in the North/Eastern corridor. Doesn't matter though I have been through some tough times with Freo, I'm not about to switch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Nah, it will start off small and take a decade or more to build up enough supporters. Whoever backed it will have to be prepared to wear a loss for a decade.

The problem with citing the Melbourne population figures to justify it is that Melbourne is already overrepresented and quite a few clubs are already struggling on the margins from year to year.

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
Only way it would work IMHO is if a wafl club steps up like Port Adelaide did. It would need an existing fan base.

I wouldn’t support a made up third WA team. But I WOULD if it was Swan Districts that joined the AFL.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I would be surprised if any long-term vision for the future of AFL nationally didn't include a third team in WA, so it is definitely a discussion point. It needs to be supported by a vision for how many teams a national competition can host, and how the season logistics would work. Travel, number of times teams play each other, how finals would work etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back