Preview Round 1 – GWS Giants vs Essendon, Sunday 24th March 2019, Sydney Showground Stadium, 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Anyone else hear what Devon Smith said Dylan was hoping to debut before a big crowd but instead is going to the graveyard

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Heard it.

I'm sure the boys will give to them during the game.

Could also be trying to help build a big crowd to.

More than likely Devon was just being Devon. He likes shiney lights.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Anyone else hear what Devon Smith said Dylan was hoping to debut before a big crowd but instead is going to the graveyard

Poor form from an ex player. Just demonstrates to me he was never a good long term option for us, and the club made the right decision. If you want to play in front of big crowds every week, go to another club. If you want to be part of an establishing club chasing its first premiership, and enjoy the relative quiet of a non-traditional afl town, then come to the Giants.
I hope we continue to place a premium on quality people being brought into the club.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
With some more info I’m going with:
Shaw Davis Williams
Kennedy Taylor Buntine
Perryman Coniglio Whitfield
Greene Cameron Deledio
DeBoer HH Daniels

Simpson Taranto Hopper

Tomlinson Keeffe Lloyd Bonar

Last edited:

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-03-21/squad-in-for-round-one

Squad of 26 is in for sundays game the surprises for me
No Kelly but with a 6 day break and travelling to Perth it must be reducing any chances of any issues flaring up for him
No Bonar but maybe another week of fitness and the hitout before and he will be right to travel to Perth the following week as part of the squad
No answer to my Keefe/Buntine question
Hately and Cumming in the 26 they are a chance to play but I feel they will try the experience for this game but it shows they are not far off a start

My 22 would be
Shaw Davis Williams
Kennedy Taylor Whitfield
Tomlinson Taranto Perryman
Deledio HH Daniels
Greene Cameron Lloyd
Simpson Coniglio Hopper
Buntine MDB Reid TOJ

That last bench position is very open depending on how the coaches want to play but I feel they will back Tomlinson as second ruck for this game as I feel he will be able to match up on Mckernan reasonably well

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens

Yeah. I hope he eats those words but with all the outs, the bombers will likely take it out. Don’t think he needs to have a crack at the fans.
We normally get a better crowd against the Dons, though, don’t we?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Hmmm
327f3b66fb2f63f5f1d03accab355245.jpg
4d4533604fd1ae69bbb18165baf47724.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Sorry for the intrusion guys, but wondering what you see as Perryman's role this week and going forward? I thought he looked very solid in the JLT and seemed to be playing midfield.

What is the general consensus on this first hit out with no Kelly as well? I hate bombers with a passion and hoping you guys torch them but unfortunately I'm not entirely sure what the chances become now with the lack of Kelly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry for the intrusion guys, but wondering what you see as Perryman's role this week and going forward? I thought he looked very solid in the JLT and seemed to be playing midfield.

What is the general consensus on this first hit out with no Kelly as well? I hate bombers with a passion and hoping you guys torch them but unfortunately I'm not entirely sure what the chances become now with the lack of Kelly
Both Leon and Heater ( Perryman's mentor) have touted him stepping up into the midfield this year. I expect it to happen.

Kelly is more lf an issue next week at Optus I think. I expect he'll play from what Leon has said but he woukd have been better with a hitout. If he had to be managed on the ground he is a risk on Sunday. Would be good if he had a run inthe NEAFL trial on Sunday morning but I dont know if he will.

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Both Leon and Heater ( Perryman's mentor) have touted him stepping up into the midfield this year. I expect it to happen.

Kelly is more lf an issue next week at Optus I think. I expect he'll play from what Leon has said but he woukd have been better with a hitout. If he had to be managed on the ground he is a risk on Sunday. Would be good if he had a run inthe NEAFL trial on Sunday morning but I dont know if he will.
Thanks for the reply mate, Perryman looks like a solid little player.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Well this looks to be an uphill battle now.

I think our forward line looks strong as does the defence but don't think we can complete with their depth in the midfield. The will have some players underdone in the guts so I am hoping that might count against them.

I think if we draw even in the clearances and contested ball, our forward line will convert more opportunities than theirs. My concern is we are light on for inside mids with experience and current form

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Final 22 in
Keefe gets in over Buntine, and TOJ is in with his flexibility being the key to his inclusion IMO. Several players will need to perform as players will be wanting to get in the 22
FB: Heath Shaw, Phil Davis, Zac Williams
HB: Adam Kennedy, Sam Taylor, Lachie Whitfield
C: Adam Tomlinson, Tim Taranto, Harry Perryman
HF: Brett Deledio, Harry Himmelberg, Brent Daniels
FF: Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Daniel Lloyd
RR: Dawson Simpson, Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper
Interchange: Matt de Boer, Lachlan Keeffe, Jeremy Finlayson, Sam Reid
Emergencies: Jackson Hately, Matt Buntine, Isaac Cumming, Matt Flynn

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Final 22 in
Keefe gets in over Buntine, and TOJ is in with his flexibility being the key to his inclusion IMO. Several players will need to perform as players will be wanting to get in the 22
FB: Heath Shaw, Phil Davis, Zac Williams
HB: Adam Kennedy, Sam Taylor, Lachie Whitfield
C: Adam Tomlinson, Tim Taranto, Harry Perryman
HF: Brett Deledio, Harry Himmelberg, Brent Daniels
FF: Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Daniel Lloyd
RR: Dawson Simpson, Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper
Interchange: Matt de Boer, Lachlan Keeffe, Jeremy Finlayson, Sam Reid
Emergencies: Jackson Hately, Matt Buntine, Isaac Cumming, Matt Flynn

Injuries or no injuries as long as blokes like Reid and Keeffe are getting games this team is going nowhere and Leon is signing his own death warrant. Neither would get a game anywhere else.

As for Finlayson, yes he has some real talent but the talk that he was excellent in the pre-season....really?? Give me a spell.

Anyways, it is what it is but we could get really exposed by their leg speed, I can already see the forlorn look on Keeffe’s face when he gets smoked.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal

Pardon my interruption, I cringed when he said this, absolutely stupid thing to say. Just giving your boys more ammunition.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, if Keeffe is getting in over Buntine, then I don't see Buntine having much of a future. I can only infer that with Haynes out, the selectors prefer Sam Taylor in the third tall / interceptor role, and needing a second KPD Keeffe gets the nod. I don't think that's our best setup though.

Similarly, disappointed in going to Reid rather than Cumming or Hately. I can understand going with the more experienced player, except that I didn't think Reid showed too much in pre-season, and while not wanting to gift young players games, we need to develop quality young players to counter losses such as Shiel & Scully. Early season isn't that bad for a debut IMHO, as most teams have new players and everyone's generally short of 100% so can help a new player. IMHO it does leave us short of quality in the midfield.

I echo the frustration with Bonar's omission from the emergency list - if he's injured I wish they'd just say that. I guess we'll see if he plays NEAFL to determine if he is or isn't injured.

nickh32

Club Legend
Aug 9, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Ins and Outs since last time they played

Essendon INS: Shiel, Hurley, Brown, Myers, Francis
Essendon OUTS: Goddard, Stewart, Laverde, Dea, Hooker

GWS INS: Davis, Williams, Taylor, Kennedy, Deledio, Daniels, Greene, Simpson, De Boar, Reid, Keefe, Finlayson
GWS OUTS: Lobb, Ward, Kelly, Patton, Haynes, Corr, Griffen, Shiel, Buntine, Mohr, Langdon, Buckley

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Ins and Outs since last time they played

GWS INS: Davis, Williams, Taylor, Kennedy, Deledio, Daniels, Greene, Simpson, De Boar, Reid, Keefe, Finlayson
GWS OUTS: Lobb, Ward, Kelly, Patton, Haynes, Corr, Griffen, Shiel, Buntine, Mohr, Langdon, Buckley

Looks like our version of "six of one, half dozen of the other", except that we've made it a double.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Hey gents. My partner and i flew up this evening. Whats the best way to get to the show grounds? I have no idea about this public transport system. I also read something about rail works? We are staying in surrey hills.

Good luck tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back