Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coll-vs-Geelong.png
Where and when: MCG, Friday March 22, 7.50pm

Melbourne Forecast
Capture.PNG

Humid. Low cloud and patchy fog this morning, then sunny periods developing. Medium (40%) chance of showers, most likely during this afternoon and early evening and the chance of a thunderstorm. Light winds becoming north to northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the morning then tending south to southeasterly in the afternoon and evening.

Last time they met: MCG, round eight, 2018: Collingwood 5.15 (45) lost to Geelong 9.12 (66)
In a scrappy, low-scoring affair, the Cats kicked four of the opening five goals, restricting the Pies to just one goal by half-time, and set up a matchwinning break with three successive majors in the third term. The Pies were two short for much of the second half

What it means for Collingwood: A win for the 2018 runner-up is crucial given it faces Richmond and reigning premier West Coast in the following fortnight.

What it means for Geelong: This season has been billed as the last chance for the Cats to succeed with this group, and a victory here would certainly have the fans dreaming about another flag.

How Collingwood wins: The Magpies' 'Swoop Squad' of small and medium-sized forwards, comprising the likes of Jordan De Goey, Jamie Elliott, Jaidyn Stephenson, Travis Varcoe and Josh Thomas, has the potential to pose enormous headaches for the Cats, who will be without important stoppers Zach Tuohy and Jed Bews.

How Geelong wins: Although Brodie Grundy is expected to take the upperhand in the ruck, the Cats' midfield is more than capable of gaining the ascendancy, which would provide power forward Tom Hawkins with his best chance of exposing the new-look Pies' defence.

The stat: Geelong has won 11 of its past 14 round one games, while Collingwood has won just two from seven under Nathan Buckley, and has been beaten in its past three season openers.

The match-up: Joel Selwood v Levi Greenwood. The Magpie desperado (ranked No. 380 in the Official AFL Player Ratings) appears set to renew his heated relationship with the Cats skipper (No. 53), against whom he has a good record. Selwood will be hellbent on getting one back on him.

It’s a big week for: Jamie Elliott. The Magpie livewire has missed two of the past three seasons through injury and will make his first AFL appearance in 19 months. Fit and firing after a strong pre-season, he won't simply ease himself back – he might well prove the matchwinner.

Magpies fans will be excited to see Jamie Elliott back in action. Picture: AFL Photos
JamieElliott.jpg

Big call: Pies defender Jack Crisp will upstage the two powerful midfields to be the most prolific ball winner afield.
Prediction: Magpies by 19 points

Source: AFL Website

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thinking Collingwood by a couple of goals, but should be a good contest for most of the game, interested to see how the new Geelong recruits in Dahlhaus/Rohan etc fair tonight.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Where and when: MCG, Friday March 22, 7.50pm

Melbourne Forecast
View attachment 639247

Humid. Low cloud and patchy fog this morning, then sunny periods developing. Medium (40%) chance of showers, most likely during this afternoon and early evening and the chance of a thunderstorm. Light winds becoming north to northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the morning then tending south to southeasterly in the afternoon and evening.

Last time they met: MCG, round eight, 2018: Collingwood 5.15 (45) lost to Geelong 9.12 (66)
In a scrappy, low-scoring affair, the Cats kicked four of the opening five goals, restricting the Pies to just one goal by half-time, and set up a matchwinning break with three successive majors in the third term. The Pies were two short for much of the second half

What it means for Collingwood: A win for the 2018 runner-up is crucial given it faces Richmond and reigning premier West Coast in the following fortnight.

What it means for Geelong: This season has been billed as the last chance for the Cats to succeed with this group, and a victory here would certainly have the fans dreaming about another flag.

How Collingwood wins: The Magpies' 'Swoop Squad' of small and medium-sized forwards, comprising the likes of Jordan De Goey, Jamie Elliott, Jaidyn Stephenson, Travis Varcoe and Josh Thomas, has the potential to pose enormous headaches for the Cats, who will be without important stoppers Zach Tuohy and Jed Bews.

How Geelong wins: Although Brodie Grundy is expected to take the upperhand in the ruck, the Cats' midfield is more than capable of gaining the ascendancy, which would provide power forward Tom Hawkins with his best chance of exposing the new-look Pies' defence.

The stat: Geelong has won 11 of its past 14 round one games, while Collingwood has won just two from seven under Nathan Buckley, and has been beaten in its past three season openers.

The match-up: Joel Selwood v Levi Greenwood. The Magpie desperado (ranked No. 380 in the Official AFL Player Ratings) appears set to renew his heated relationship with the Cats skipper (No. 53), against whom he has a good record. Selwood will be hellbent on getting one back on him.

It’s a big week for: Jamie Elliott. The Magpie livewire has missed two of the past three seasons through injury and will make his first AFL appearance in 19 months. Fit and firing after a strong pre-season, he won't simply ease himself back – he might well prove the matchwinner.

Magpies fans will be excited to see Jamie Elliott back in action. Picture: AFL Photos
JamieElliott.jpg

Big call: Pies defender Jack Crisp will upstage the two powerful midfields to be the most prolific ball winner afield.
Prediction: Magpies by 19 points

Source: AFL Website

Levi Greenwood listed as an emergency the ultimate double bluff 😂😂😂😂

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
4 Debutants for geelong Collingwood by 20 for me.

Early season games are brutal though both teams will crash in hard. The midfield battle going to be exciting.

I'm excited to see our new look team in action tonight. I think if we can win the ball out of the middle, we can exploit the Pies defence and with a high-pressure line-up, we can win the game. It'll be close-ish, but my emotional bias makes me say Geelong by 13

Regardless, it should hopefully be a great game with a great crowd (MCG predicting 72,000). Go Cats!

SuperSteele22

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
After having looked at the two line up's I don't think it's outrageous to suggest that we should be a five goal better side. That said though, round one has a funny habit of manufacturing some unexpected results and I do think the Cats will be thereabouts again this year so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it went their way.

Greenwood as an emergency is an interesting call considering his record on Selwood and his knack of getting under his skin.

Excited to see our forward line in action.

Pies by 30.

On paper Geelong has the better side but it comes down to system. Collingwood have the better system.

Line ball for mine but I think we might get up by a goal or two.

Collingwood have a superior list and are quicker with their style of ball movement. No doubt their superior supporter numbers will give them a lift as well. Pies by 46.

On paper Geelong has the better side but it comes down to system. Collingwood have the better system.

Line ball for mine but I think we might get up by a goal or two.

Don't know if I can agree with that. Collingwood lineup looks very strong on paper, but I think it's also more of a must win for them which could factor in under pressure. Still got the Pies by 3 goals.

Don't know if I can agree with that. Collingwood lineup looks very strong on paper, but I think it's also more of a must win for them which could factor in under pressure. Still got the Pies by 3 goals.
Yea, I disagree. This same side was written off early last year remember and now they're suddenly rated again. It's their system, not personnel and I said as much when I predicted them to make the GF around the same time and was laughed at by the same people who now suddenly rate their list.

Granted Elliott is back but he's hardly played in 2 years. Roughead has been mainly used as a ruckman. They've got no key position players of note and their half back line is ordinary looking.

They have belief and everyone plays their role well.

Anyway, my 2 cents, and I'm someone with huge wraps for Buckley and his coaching methods.

And there's no Cam Guthrie to allow Collingwood players to waltz by feely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong wont get anywhere near the Pies tonight

Collingwood by 49 points

With Rance out now Collingwood can begin their premiership defence in earnest.

You've started early... #Tigershaveinjuries

Our game day thread was a freak show last night. The Blues/Tigers fans were getting along, but there were some absolute knobs of the Carringbush variety trolling Rances injury etc etc. It was very unusual their interest. Imagine if they lose this week and next week. Oh my......

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Our game day thread was a freak show last night. The Blues/Tigers fans were getting along, but there were some absolute knobs of the Carringbush variety trolling Rances injury etc etc. It was very unusual their interest. Imagine if they lose this week and next week. Oh my......
Next week should be a cracker.

Next week should be a cracker.

If the pies pump the cats (like i think they will), you reckon tigers are unbearable, give the pies a week of pumping up the tyres.

Back