Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the Observer Jonah Rock will be one of potentially quite a few signing with WWE in January. Well done to him.

Yeah I saw that too. Much deserved. He is a brute of a man but his lack of height (as a Heavyweight) does worry me a bit when it comes to making it big in the Fed. Would still be a great effort just to make it. Not sure how good of a grappler he is but I could see him in the Tazz mould. Doubt he'd be able to retain the surname of "Rock" either.

I'd also be happy to see him as an enforcer for TM61 in NXT or have a program with Walter in NXT UK.

Yeah I saw that too. Much deserved. He is a brute of a man but his lack of height (as a Heavyweight) does worry me a bit when it comes to making it big in the Fed. Would still be a great effort just to make it. Not sure how good of a grappler he is but I could see him in the Tazz mould. Doubt he'd be able to retain the surname of "Rock" either.

I'd also be happy to see him as an enforcer for TM61 in NXT or have a program with Walter in NXT UK.
When it comes to the graps he can go with the best of them.

Heard some very sad news that Peter "The Hawk" Ball has passed away.

On a personal note, Hawk did some amazing work developing young talent and giving kids a shot here in Queensland. He's left one hell of a legacy.

IPW shared this via Facebook:
FB_IMG_1547355934498.jpg
It is with a sad and heavy heart that we announce the passing of Peter “The Hawk” Ball on the 12th of January 2019. Peter wrestled under many names such as Bruno Ball, The Iceman & The Pharaoh. He shared the ring with such greats as Andre the Giant, Ric Flair, Harley Race, Killer Kowalski & Vader. The New Zealand native Peter brought wrestling to Queensland and created W.C.W, MIW and finally IPW. He ran a wrestling school for well over 20 years and turned many trainees into wrestling stars. Outside of the ring Peter was a loving family man and raised 2 future QLD Wrestling legends (Cruz & R.I.P). Peter retired from the wrestling world in 2015 and handed over the business to his son R.I.P and his wife Tarryn. Peter will be sorely missed but IPW will continue to live out his legacy as he intended.

Seems like a big weekend of local wrestling this weekend - MCW has Mikey Nicholls (fka Nick Miller) and Jonah's last match in Australia. The west has EPW's Hot Summer's Night to look forward to which looks like it's shaping up to be a decent event. I'm looking to broaden my horizons this year in regards to the Australian scene - Perth I know quite well and am familiar with a few interstaters but would love to hear/see more from the rest of the country. Are there any key matches/wrestlers you would recommend checking out?

Wrestle Rampage's show from the weekend is already available to watch on Vimeo.
It was a super emotional night for Jonahs last match in Australia and the entire show was fantastic. And hot. It was about 40 degrees.

Wrestle Rampage's show from the weekend is already available to watch on Vimeo.
It was a super emotional night for Jonahs last match in Australia and the entire show was fantastic. And hot. It was about 40 degrees.

First real indie show I've been to and was pretty cool. Didn't really like Jonah's match toooo much but man I am in love with Robbie Eagles, that guy can go! The bloke he fought was good too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia has become a bit of a breeding ground I wonder if the WWE will open a performance center here?

In the pipeline to happen in the next 5 years apparently.

https://www.worldserieswrestling.com/

unnamed_1728x.png

had no idea this was even on...

So indicative of the Australian scene. I don't want to potshot them but it seems no-one knows it's on and no-one know what matches are on the card. I finally found a list of the wrestlers in the buy tickets section but that is some pretty seriously awful navigation just to find out who is on the card.

I went to the first couple of International Assault cards back in the dim dark ages (Sabu, Chris Candido, Marty Jannety, Psicosis, Too Cold Scorpio) and really enjoyed them but they were poorly promoted and attended.

I still don't understand why Australian promoters don't work together to push a unified product.

If I'm not mistaken WSW has it's own Facebook page, which I've stumbled upon awhile back. It does seem that unless you follow every promotion you are likely to miss out on events. I do agree that for these kinds of events it would help attendance if more promoting was done - be it via promotions or wrestlers or flyers around the area.

WSW is a terrible organization. Not only is the promotion non existent but the international names they do bring out arent good enough to justify charging tickets as high as $120, and then they do stupid s**t as staring contests and musical chairs contests.

Its a glorified local show with local talent mixed with about 5 international wrestlers.

I think MCW gets more to their show than WSW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back