Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Imagine if one club had got all the Gold Coast/gws draft concessions.

Would be better to go with an odd number and rolling byes for a few years than have too many compromises like Gold Coast/gws

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I say a big fat NO for 19 or even 20 teams. It should only happen at the expense of losing one other team and moving the licence to a new franchise in a new city.

I feel likewise with that initial commitment of $40 million to enter the league.

They have existing financial commitments and GWS/GC look like they are going to require heavy support for a lot longer than the AFL sold to clubs, it is going to be challenging to meet all the requirements if they keep adding new problems to their existing ones.

As a young AFL player with a fair bit of coin, what would be the attraction of living full time in Hobart/Launceston over Melbourne, Sydney, Perth ect?

You talk as if there are men who don't value hiking, fishing, camping, etc.

If I grew up in the country, I'd pick Launceston over Melbourne every day. 10-15 minutes out of the city and you're in the bush.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
You talk as if there are men who don't value hiking, fishing, camping, etc.

If I grew up in the country, I'd pick Launceston over Melbourne every day. 10-15 minutes out of the city and you're in the bush.
Yeh I dont know if you remember being in your early 20s playing footy. After training & playing you weren't pumped to go for a hike on a saturday night.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Tas economy is booming???

Is this some new definition of booming I'm not aware of?

As for support...GC average home crowds are already about as good as Tas can hope for. (18,670...which is about capacity for the Tas grounds)

edited to add...

I checked into Tas's 'booming' economy...2017-18 is grew 3.3% That's the 3rd best state (4th if you include ACT) and as the ABS notes, that's the best growth they've had in a decade.
Yes and that was 0.5% more than the national average.
GROWTH is what I said and yes it continue to grow .
You said there was no growth now or likely in the future which was crap, now your looking for data to match your ignorant guess.
Mainlanders are moving here in there droves, housing is 9% growth against other big cities which are in DECLINE . That is GROWTH!

Yeh I dont know if you remember being in your early 20s playing footy. After training & playing you weren't pumped to go for a hike on a saturday night.

I used to do outdoor activities every weekend. Camping and fishing, mostly. Don't try to speak for us all just because you happen to be a bit effeminate.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Tas economy is booming???

Is this some new definition of booming I'm not aware of?

As for support...GC average home crowds are already about as good as Tas can hope for. (18,670...which is about capacity for the Tas grounds)

edited to add...

I checked into Tas's 'booming' economy...2017-18 is grew 3.3% That's the 3rd best state (4th if you include ACT) and as the ABS notes, that's the best growth they've had in a decade.

Tassie fans are jaded by getting the poor drawing teams every year. They will sell out their stadiums and get a good following to Victorian games..if they get their own team. Day one.
If it happens, they premiership befor either Gold Coast or GWS

LightTower4

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2004
No Fixed Address
AFL Club
Melbourne
As I've said on previous threads on this topic, Hobart is bigger than Geelong.
No industry is no big deal. Most AFL teams are sponsored by car companies and when I last looked, no cars are manufactured in Australia. There would be ample sponsorship available.
If I was 18 years old and skilled enough to play AFL for $300K a year, i'd be happy to live in Hobart.
It's an Aussie Rules state and always has been.
The only real issue is the Hobart/Launceston divide! That could get ugly as to who gets what.

As I've said on previous threads on this topic, Hobart is bigger than Geelong.
No industry is no big deal. Most AFL teams are sponsored by car companies and when I last looked, no cars are manufactured in Australia. There would be ample sponsorship available.
If I was 18 years old and skilled enough to play AFL for $300K a year, i'd be happy to live in Hobart.
It's an Aussie Rules state and always has been.
The only real issue is the Hobart/Launceston divide! That could get ugly as to who gets what.

The Hobart Hurricanes are loved in Launceston. The North/South divide is nothing like it was 20+ years ago.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee, I cant wait to have another s**t team from interstate drawing crowds of 15,000-20,000, clogging up the bottom half of the ladder every year, never winning a premiership, sucking more games out of Melbourne and sticking their hand out for compo just to stay afloat.

It's gonna be fantastic. :rolleyes:

The day the AFL announce a Tassie team will be the day they join the NRL as codes going backwards. It will be the first nail in the coffin of AFL footy. A Tassie team will add nothing to the AFL. At least with GWS and Gold Coast, the AFL can sell the idea that they're growing the game in rugby areas and widening the talent pool with increased participation.

The AFL may as well add teams from Bendigo and Albury while they're at it.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
What does Tassie’s economic growth have to do with it.? It’s a footy state. Not everything is about the f***ing cash.

It has to be about cash. The AFL can't bring in a side that is going need financial assistance from day 1, and will always need financial assistance while not benefitting the league in terms of the TV rights deal in any way.

Gee, I cant wait to have another s**t team from interstate drawing crowds of 15,000-20,000, clogging up the bottom half of the ladder every year, never winning a premiership, sucking more games out of Melbourne and sticking their hand out for compo just to stay afloat.

It's gonna be fantastic. :rolleyes:

The day the AFL announce a Tassie team will be the day they join the NRL as codes going backwards and the first nail in the coffin of AFL footy

A Tasmanian team will add nothing to the AFL. At least with GWS and Gold Coast, the AFL can sell the idea that they're growing the game in rugby areas and widening the talent pool with increased participation.

Hmm, I wonder if there's some sort of "team to post" correlation in this post?

images (9).jpeg

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hmm, I wonder if there's some sort of "team to post" correlation in this post?

View attachment 639674
You think I want my team playing 4 games a year in that Launceston shithole?

It f**kin sucks.

We are wasting our time playing home matches there.

I'll be happy to see the Hawks go back to playing 16 games a year in Melbourne. But the people on here who are excited about the prospect of a Tasmanian team need to think things through and realise it will be one less game their own team plays in Melbourne at the MCG, and just another crappy non-event of a franchise taking all the early draft picks and stinking up the comp. They'll never compete with Collingwood, Geelong, Adelaide, West Coast, etc... So why bother bringing them in?

Eagles and Dockers fans already piss and moan about playing Hawthorn every second year in Tassie. A stand alone Tassie team aint going to make things better in that regard.

As for player signings, it will be mostly one-way traffic like we've seen with the Gold Coast. Their draftees will be out of there the first chance they get. And I can't see them beating other clubs for the signature of any superstar free agents.

Another mediocre franchise, another team for the couch potatoes to watch and one less game for each club here in Melbourne

Great

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
You think I want my team playing 4 games a year in that Launceston shithole?
Eagles and Dockers fans already piss and moan about playing Hawthorn every second year in Tassie. A stand alone Tassie team aint going to make things better in that regard.
I’d rather play a Tassie team in Tassie than a Melbourne team in Tassie

Back