Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we have to make 5-6 senior changes this season I'd say theyd be

Simpson and Thomas (retired) Pickett, Lobbe and Garlett (delisted) and 1 of Plowman, Williamson, JSOS, and Macreadie to be delisted.

I'm struggling to see six changes. I'm hoping for four (1 trade and 3 drafted)

Plowman is definitely not in the conversation for being delisted. He would actually have decent trade currency if we were to go down that path.

The only reason why Williamson and Macreadie would go is if their bodies couldn't hold up for the rigors of AFL.

JSOS is showing enough to at least be a depth player. I think the club will want to give him more time to develop his game in the midfield.

If Simpson and Thomas retire, it's only because they want to retire. Both are playing very good football, attacking the contest as hard as they ever have, and both provide on field leadership to a relatively young team.

I'd personally keep Lobbe as a backup ruckman just in case.

Garlett should be given more time to develop his craft down back. Can do this in the VFL if he's pushed out of our starting 22.

Pickett is a wait and see. All comes down to his attitude.

I am wondering who's spot Marchbank takes when he returns? Marchy is a great player when fit, but im not sure who he will replace.
Jones for all his flaws, brings so much to the table, Weitering is coming along nicely and that leaves Plow who i see as being at risk, unless we will strange our structure.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Im a little worried about our fwd set up with Harry, Charlie, Gov and then Fasolo> Fs looked slow and underdone last night and i wonder if he is in completion with Kennedy and SOS for a starting spot. He really needs to be getting the ball 12-15 times a game to hold his spot imo.

Anything could happen but Marchy would most likely push Garlett out of the side and Plowman will play on a smaller opponent.

Plowman is actually more suited to smaller players. He had some really good contests against Martin on Thursday.

He's definitely a much better player on smaller/mid sized opponents than what he is on larger opponents. A lot of people on here mistake him for a KPD but I honestly don't think he is one.

Fasolo just needs a couple of games to find his feet. He pretty much missed the entire 2018 season so first game back was always going to be a tough one.

Once McGovern returns to full fitness, we'll look a lot more dangerous in our forward half.

I'm struggling to see six changes. I'm hoping for four (1 trade and 3 drafted)

Plowman is definitely not in the conversation for being delisted. He would actually have decent trade currency if we were to go down that path.

The only reason why Williamson and Macreadie would go is if their bodies couldn't hold up for the rigors of AFL.

JSOS is showing enough to at least be a depth player. I think the club will want to give him more time to develop his game in the midfield.

If Simpson and Thomas retire, it's only because they want to retire. Both are playing very good football, attacking the contest as hard as they ever have, and both provide on field leadership to a relatively young team.

I'd personally keep Lobbe as a backup ruckman just in case.

Garlett should be given more time to develop his craft down back. Can do this in the VFL if he's pushed out of our starting 22.

Pickett is a wait and see. All comes down to his attitude.
It's an interesting discussion point Eiffel. I'm still trying to work out what our list strategy may be at the end of the year.

At the moment, we don't have any obvious list cloggers like previous years, although everyone has their view on who should stay and go.

Given we're likely looking to trade at the end of the year, we may end up with just a couple of 4th/5th round picks in the draft, after we've jagged some rippers during the trade period with our 1st and 3rd rounders.

Unless we make some really hard calls, I could see that potentially we may delist and re-rookie a few players....and possibly elevating one or two from the rookie list to make up the quota of 3 picks in the ND. Maybe.

At the end of the day, it's still only round 1, so a lot can happen during the year that will sway decisions at the year end.

It's an interesting discussion point Eiffel. I'm still trying to work out what our list strategy may be at the end of the year.

At the moment, we don't have any obvious list cloggers like previous years, although everyone has their view on who should stay and go.

Given we're likely looking to trade at the end of the year, we may end up with just a couple of 4th/5th round picks in the draft, after we've jagged some rippers during the trade period with our 1st and 3rd rounders.

Unless we make some really hard calls, I could see that potentially we may delist and re-rookie a few players....and possibly elevating one or two from the rookie list to make up the quota of 3 picks in the ND. Maybe.

At the end of the day, it's still only round 1, so a lot can happen during the year that will sway decisions at the year end.

That's exactly why I want to see a maximum of four changes. Build some continuity with the playing group.

Also build some confidence within the club that fringe and developing players don't have to look over their shoulder in fear of being delisted.

Darcy Parish been forced out of * team round 1 to make way for Shiel....and out of contract the end of the year....hmmmmmm

Maybe missing out on Shiel could end up working to our advantage.
Overrated as a junior, is vanilla as a senior. Just wasn't a good pick.

setters, walsh and cripps could be 3 of the top 5 midfielders in the game in the next 2-3 years, wow.... plus we still have sps, dow, lob, stocker, fisher and kennedy all running through the guts, exciting times ahead. also i've got to apologise to Soapy V because i always thought his optimism of our young playing group was over the top during the pre-season, but after watching that midfield in the flesh i've realised when that midfield clicks it could honestly be something that the league has never seen before.

Oh, okay then....I try to avoid watching too many * games, so haven't seen a lot of him.
And that nob Adrian Dodoro would be asking 2 first rounders for him anyway.
Carry on...
He would indeed... The best description of Parish I can provide is he's not actually bad at anything really, he just doesn't have any one really good trait. Everything he does is just okay, speed, skill, decision making us all just okay. Think you need some defining features to make it in the top flight.

Oh, okay then....I try to avoid watching too many * games, so haven't seen a lot of him.
And that nob Adrian Dodoro would be asking 2 first rounders for him anyway.
Carry on...

The question you asked was quite reasonable.

I said this in the past but I don't believe Essendon have used him in a position to best utilise his strengths.

If he was on the trade table, I would definitely ask the question.

You just have to look at what he did in his first year as an outside midfielder when Essendon were using the top up players as part of their indiscretion.

Midfield is only going to get better, those players show good ball winning ability. They just need to develop. Takes a while for players to develop a strong body and the ability to run really hard.

In saying that I think we will have a dabble at some real top end mature hard running mids.

A Hard running half forward and perhaps a hard running half back is on the cards. Maybe even a really good small forward though we are developing some.

We just need to play our best team and let it develop and come the end of the season go for some really good developed young talent.

He would indeed... The best description of Parish I can provide is he's not actually bad at anything really, he just doesn't have any one really good trait. Everything he does is just okay, speed, skill, decision making us all just okay. Think you need some defining features to make it in the top flight.

His decision making and kicking on the outside are elite.

The issue is Essendon have placed him in more of a contested ball type role. This makes him hand pass the ball too often and limits his ability to damage the opposition by foot.

I think he's a very similar player to Lochie O'brien. Overlap run and carry is his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His decision making and kicking on the outside are elite.

The issue is Essendon have placed him in more of a contested ball type role. This makes him hand pass the ball too often and limits his ability to damage the opposition by foot.

I think he's a very similar player to Lochie O'brien. Overlap run and carry is his game.
Disagree wholeheartedly, which is fine. Also don't think he's got the endurance to play fully outside, which is why Essendon don't use him predominantly outside. His decision making is slow, one of the reasons he's in the twos is to work on improving his 'football iq' as it's been taking him too long to dissect the game and make the right decision by hand or foot.

Would have a nibble at Parish but really doubt we would get him, not for a reasonable price any way. Could make a good wingman.

Perfect replacement for Murphy.

Parish and O'brien on the wings would be a good combo.

Disagree wholeheartedly, which is fine. Also don't think he's got the endurance to play fully outside, which is why Essendon don't use him predominantly outside. His decision making is slow, one of the reasons he's in the twos is to work on improving his 'football iq' as it's been taking him too long to dissect the game and make the right decision by hand or foot.
pffft....we have bigger fish to fry anyway. Dodoro and his mob can have him then playing VFL.
I'd like to think that we'll be using the Cow's first rounder a bit more strategically anyway rather than donating it to those tossers.

setters, walsh and cripps could be 3 of the top 5 midfielders in the game in the next 2-3 years, wow.... plus we still have sps, dow, lob, stocker, fisher and kennedy all running through the guts, exciting times ahead. also i've got to apologise to Soapy V because i always thought his optimism of our young playing group was over the top during the pre-season, but after watching that midfield in the flesh i've realised when that midfield clicks it could honestly be something that the league has never seen before.
Cuningham will go through the midfield to...

Mature bodied what? Not sure why there needs to be a fixed position of need at round one.

SOS had his eyes on McGovern 2 years ago.
Had his eyes trained on Setterfield since 2016
Shiel for who knows how long.

We know how this works, as we've now been through it many time before.
List Management would well and truly have their premium targets at the top of the board already and if they didn't have; They'd be doing it wrong.

It's somewhat evident as to what types we'll be targeting, so when we do eventually acquire at least some of them, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

SOS had his eyes on McGovern 2 years ago.
Had his eyes trained on Setterfield since 2016
Shiel for who knows how long.

We know how this works, as we've now been through it many time before.
List Management would well and truly have their premium targets at the top of the board already and if they didn't have; They'd be doing it wrong.

It's somewhat evident as to what types we'll be targeting, so when we do eventually acquire at least some of them, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

A quick/clever/creative small forward appears the obvious position of need doesn’t it.
Pickett has the potential but does he have the drive ?
Nobody else on the list inspires in my view.
The Adelaide pick will be about right to either trade or draft this kind of player.
Sounds like a plan, who would have thought ...

Darcy Parish been forced out of * team round 1 to make way for Shiel....and out of contract the end of the year....hmmmmmm

Maybe missing out on Shiel could end up working to our advantage.

As long as long as we give Dodoro doughnuts for him and he comes with a supreme disdain for his former club ala Glenn Manton I’m all for it

A quick/clever/creative small forward appears the obvious position of need doesn’t it.
Pickett has the potential but does he have the drive ?
Nobody else on the list inspires in my view.
The Adelaide pick will be about right to either trade or draft this kind of player.
Sounds like a plan, who would have thought ...

A plan hatched well before the Stocker trade, I would have said.

It just has to be that way as when you knock over one domino, all the other have to be in line, as much as they possibly can be.
I just don't subscribe to a 'let's see what happens' scenario. If you don't have some idea as to what's likely to happen and why, then maybe List Management isn't for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back