Preview Today!!! Rd 1v Freo at Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The last spot in the midfield was out of LDU and Ahern, we just rated LDU’s defensive capabilities better. A total of 2 tackles for Ahern across 2 JLT games highlights an area for improvement.

In that regards Tyson is a no brainer especially when playing against a monster like Fyfe.

Leaving aside whether we all agree or not, there's a fair argument that if defensive work is an issue - and he's not responding to it - now is the time to make a stand. Don't want to wait until Ahern is week in week out entrenched in 3 years and then be trying to get him to change his habits. If they're non-negotiable items then everyone needs to be on the same terms. Just hypothetical, I don't know whether any of this is inner scrote or not.

That's assuming any of the "defensive" stuff the case. Could be as simple as a niggle, concern about the deck over there or simply wanting to use a slightly more physically mature outfit in Round 1 to use that muscle and run advantage over a relatively younger Docker midfield. I wouldn't be shocked if he still runs out.

Last edited:
I love that now in the AFL we measure pressure acts, but the biggest pressure act of them all is not counted......

Kicking goals, it puts the best pressure of them all on an opposition side..... scoreboard pressure.

I'm pretty sure we do still count goals in the AFL.

Leaving aside whether we all agree or not, there's a fair argument that if defensive work is an issue - and he's not responding to it - now is the time to make a stand. Don't want to wait until Ahern is week in week out entrenched in 3 years and then be trying to get him to change his habits. If they're non-negotiable items then everyone needs to be on the same terms. Just hypothetical, I don't know whether any of this is inner scrote or not.

That's assuming any of the "defensive" stuff the case. Could be as simple as a niggle, concern about the deck over there or simply wanting to use a slightly more physically mature outfit in Round 1 to use that muscle and run advantage over a relatively younger Docker midfield. I wouldn't be shocked if he still runs out.

I totally agree but I doubt that's it. I love the way people responded tho. Don't change BF.

Our 4 (current) emergencies, Tarryn Thomas, Paul Ahern, Nathan Hrovat and Nick Larkey, would all be walk up starts in the Freo side.

I repeat, if they lose this match they should be made to walk back from Perth.

Sunday 24 March
Summary
sunny.png
Min 12 Max 27 Sunny. Chance of any rain: 0% Perth area
Sunny. Winds southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light in the morning then becoming south to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h in the afternoon. Winds tending east to southeasterly 20 to 30 km/h in the evening.

Not to hot tomoz in Perth - actually pretty darn close to perfect

What chance does Paulie have when BJ and Jed come back?
What a plethora of depth we have.
I can guarantee that who ever is in the squad will need to earn their spot to keep it.
There will be no more of the 5 weeks of playing players into form.

Aside from our backline.

There will be a fierce rivalry at Arden at each week

Good time to be a north supporter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The best thing about our increased depth this year is the vastly improved potential for melts. A good player will miss out every week almost gift wrapping a perfect melt opportunity. It will be like shooting fish in a barrel.....Could be a stellar year for the board.
Not if we are winning

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't care who plays. Just win.

And please no chip, chip, crabbing sideways and too handball happy game style.
Thanks.

More importantly, I hope we have a better idea how to deal with the opposition when they start to “chip, chip”. That ploy seems to defeat us consistently.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The last spot in the midfield was out of LDU and Ahern, we just rated LDU’s defensive capabilities better. A total of 2 tackles for Ahern across 2 JLT games highlights an area for improvement.

In that regards Tyson is a no brainer especially when playing against a monster like Fyfe.
If that's the case does that mean we're going to see a horses for courses approach to selection at times this year?

It's baffling that Ahern misses out but it's such a pleasant change to see the wealth of midfield choices available.

Midfield depth: Anderson, Jacobs, Walker when fit, plus Ahern.
I don't see Walker as a genuine mid option for another few pre-seasons yet.

Right now he's in the small-med forward category with Turner, Hrovat, Garner, Zurhaar, Thomas, Atley, Wilkinson and Taylor.

Interesting comment from one of the Freo pster regarding their line up for this match:

Here are the 9 best 25 players that are missing which we have found cover for. Depth a lot better than last year.

Sandilands --> Darcy
Hogan --> McCarthy
Cox --> Taberner
Switowski --> Ballantyne
Matera --> Schultz
Bennell --> Banfield
Blakely --> Tucker
S Hill --> Colyer
Logue --> Hughes

I would claim that all bar one or two of those replacements is comfortably inferior based upon talent.

Interesting comment from one of the Freo pster regarding their line up for this match:

Here are the 9 best 25 players that are missing which we have found cover for. Depth a lot better than last year.

Sandilands --> Darcy
Hogan --> McCarthy
Cox --> Taberner
Switowski --> Ballantyne
Matera --> Schultz
Bennell --> Banfield
Blakely --> Tucker
S Hill --> Colyer
Logue --> Hughes

I would claim that all bar one or two of those replacements is comfortably inferior based upon talent.

Those two statements are not necessarily contradictions though. You can have better depth without them being better players than the role you're filling in for.

Those two statements are not necessarily contradictions though. You can have better depth without them being better players than the role you're filling in for.

I see your point mate, but "better" must facilitate exposed form, and there's not a lot of it there.

What a plethora of depth we have.
I can guarantee that who ever is in the squad will need to earn their spot to keep it.
There will be no more of the 5 weeks of playing players into form.

Aside from our backline.

There will be a fierce rivalry at Arden at each week

Good time to be a north supporter.

When was the last time we had this ‘problem’ with a North midfield...?

Sandilands --> Darcy
Hogan --> McCarthy
Cox --> Taberner
Switowski --> Ballantyne
Matera --> Schultz
Bennell --> Banfield
Blakely --> Tucker
S Hill --> Colyer
Logue --> Hughes

Here is a photo of Freo’s Newly found depth players: F2516539-968D-4891-AC0A-40ACCBAC31CF.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back