Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
So you don’t think holdens have a case?
When suddenly 5 fords who were nowhere in the last 3 years are now at the front?
Holden were exploiting a loophole, this issue is just sorting out aero

Oct 7, 2003
Lubyanka Square
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Devil Sport Club
They probably did, but from my memory they didn’t come from nowhere and suddenly appear up the front.
You do realise Penske have someone on the board, might even be 2 people.
888 weren't just winning they destroyed the series for years
Not even the other Holdens could compete
Now that they are no longer the omnipotent kings Dane has pulled a rule change out of his arse

I hope this pathetic bullshit makes Penske drop the series altogether so that Dane can have his 888 series back

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
So you don’t think holdens have a case?
When suddenly 5 fords who were nowhere in the last 3 years are now at the front?
* those Mustangs are good. Seriously though, take it like a man. Ford have been copping a flogging since the start of time. Holden win everything at a ratio of about 3:1. Surely everyone should be able to handle Ford dominating for one year.
I know it’s a long way to go but it won’t matter who drives for Triple 8 at Bathurst if this keeps up. ;)

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
**** those Mustangs are good. Seriously though, take it like a man. Ford have been copping a flogging since the start of time. Holden win everything at a ratio of about 3:1. Surely everyone should be able to handle Ford dominating for one year.
I know it’s a long way to go but it won’t matter who drives for Triple 8 at Bathurst if this keeps up. ;)
I don’t really have a problem with it, my problem is with people who think the whinging only happens from one team and direction when it full well happens the other way.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Know I'm gonna get shouted down here but I'm not a fan of the Opel and American ford thing.

We know that the "race on Sunday sell on Monday" mantra is gone for the Australian car market because there is no Australian cars anymore.

Edit: Mustang doesn't need to race to sell on Monday, they're everywhere and as common as a VF ........... meh. Where as Opel, well their s**t just ain't sellin. race or not, this non V8 Opel decision is probably gonna bite em in the ass. And probably in part responsible for the saturation of american muscle in our market.

My tip is we'll see a growth of the TCM (if not already) over time and an eventual death of the Australian Touring Car Championship - because there are no cars to represent the Aussie public anymore.

The series will only appeal to purist touring car racing enthusiasts, not so much touring car enthusiasts (unless you have a penchant for muzzies old and new) . Where as the touring car masters is growing in popularity year on year and has Australian Fords and Holdens in it.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Know I'm gonna get shouted down here but I'm not a fan of the Opel and American ford thing.

We know that the "race on Sunday sell on Monday" mantra is gone for the Australian car market because there is no Australian cars anymore.

Edit: Mustang doesn't need to race to sell on Monday, they're everywhere and as common as a VF ........... meh. Where as Opel, well their s**t just ain't sellin. race or not, this non V8 Opel decision is probably gonna bite em in the ass. And probably in part responsible for the saturation of american muscle in our market.

My tip is we'll see a growth of the TCM (if not already) over time and an eventual death of the Australian Touring Car Championship - because there are no cars to represent the Aussie public anymore.

The series will only appeal to purist touring car racing enthusiasts, not so much touring car enthusiasts (unless you have a penchant for muzzies old and new) . Where as the touring car masters is growing in popularity year on year and has Australian Fords and Holdens in it.
1DE90365-7F93-41DD-B6B7-361E86B3FE5C.gif

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton

TCM is not a professional class (A novelty as well). Supercars are a professional class. Therefore TCM is not taking over supercars.

The only category that could overtake supercars would be a modern up to 2 litre class. But even then, the transition won't be quick. It's not like it's one year one way, then the next year will be the other way.

There's also that supercars being an industry in itself will be hard to break down and transfer to another class.

The ATCC can't die. It's a generic name and isn't one thing or another. It's a name for the designated highest level in Australia.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
TCM is not a professional class (A novelty as well). Supercars are a professional class. Therefore TCM is not taking over supercars.

The only category that could overtake supercars would be a modern up to 2 litre class. But even then, the transition won't be quick. It's not like it's one year one way, then the next year will be the other way.

There's also that supercars being an industry in itself will be hard to break down and transfer to another class.

The ATCC can't die. It's a generic name and isn't one thing or another. It's a name for the designated highest level in Australia.
Maybe he meant TCR, I sure hope he did.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
TCR to take over, TCM for the Australian Ford and Holden fix?
Ford and Holden fix? If it's the case for some fans and they want to follow it because of that? Then so be it.

Otherwise, it's pointless and should just be left in the past. There would be some fans nowadays (The younger particularly where Ford/Holden rivalry is bs and I suspect puts them off.

Talking about Ford/Holden is similar to banging on about Cold Chisel. How many people think Cold Chisel is s**t?

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Ford and Holden fix? If it's the case for some fans and they want to follow it because of that? Then so be it.

Otherwise, it's pointless and should just be left in the past. There would be some fans nowadays (The younger particularly where Ford/Holden rivalry is bs and I suspect puts them off.

Talking about Ford/Holden is similar to banging on about Cold Chisel. How many people think Cold Chisel is s**t?

Not me.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

Yes I'm well aware that supercars are an industry, and I'm also aware that TCM is not a professional set up.

That's not the point I'm making and you know exactly the point I'm making.

For me and probably the majority of the non hardcore touring car racing fans it will lose its appeal because it has an american ford and re badged european in a supposed Australian Touring Car Championship.

The only thing Australian about it now is the fact that it takes place on Australian soil with home grown talent (and international talent), even then it's also competed internationally.

What brought the non hardcore fans to the racetrack to the ATCC and later the Supercars was the Australian manufactured cars competing in it. All the way back to Cortinas, Munros, Falcons and Valiants then later Toranas and Commodores.................... something the average race fan could connect to.

That's something the TCM has and the now supercars does not.

Supercars will eventually only keep it's hardcore race fans, not your average Billy who owns an SS V8 or an XR8.

It's a shame the Australian car industry has lost it's car manufacturers and it will impact the supercars popularity and to suggest it won't is naive.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Yes I'm well aware that supercars are an industry, and I'm also aware that TCM is not a professional set up.

For me and probably the majority of the non hardcore touring car racing fans it will lose its appeal because it has an american ford and re badged european in a supposed Australian Touring Car Championship.

The only thing Australian about it now is the fact that it takes place on Australian soil with home grown talent (and international talent), even then it's also competed internationally.

What brought the non hardcore fans to the racetrack to the ATCC and later the Supercars was the Australian manufactured cars competing in it. All the way back to Cortinas, Munros, Falcons and Valiants then later Toranas and Commodores.................... something the average race fan could connect to.

Supercars will eventually only keep it's hardcore race fans, not your average Billy who owns an SS V8 or an XR8.

It's a shame the Australian car industry has lost it's car manufacturers and it will impact the supercars popularity and to suggest it won't is naive.

Long story short - local motorsport is rooted.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton

No, I don't.

Yes.

Yes.

Cars being manufactured here is not important. What's important is what are the highest selling cars in the country. That's the case in every country.

Yes. If it's not already, it speedway on tarmac.

Tbh, the supercars industry deserves to finally piss off and die.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
No, I don't.

Don't play dumb, you and I and everyone else knows the point I'm making.

Tbh, the supercars industry deserves to finally piss off and die.

That's probably a little emotional, you and I and everyone else knows that's not what we want.

I'm merely pointing out what is fact. The ATCC has lost it's relativity because the average fan can't connect like they used to.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

Yeah you're drawing a long bow there, the Ford and Holden rivalry is probably the biggest thing in Aus trouring cars if you ask the average fan. BS or not if that's what it is to the "younger" fans.

If the average Falcon and Holden fan aren't watching or attending anymore then that's the majority of the fan base isn't it.

As far as the "younger" supporters go what's the attraction? Why not just go watch F1? What's the connection that will keep the "young" ones attracted? Is it what the old man told them? You know the rusted on Holden or Falcon fan. What is it that will keep them interested apart from the actual racing?

Is the racing enough to sustain a loyal fan base?

Whichever you way you boil it down and dissect it, the average Falcon and Holden fan will leave because there's no Holdens or Falcons anymore and that's the bulk of the fan base.

Back