The 2019 Jub Jub Memorial Supercars thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know what TCR is, was referring to Touring car Masters.

It's gaining popularity because you can't watch Falcons and Commodores anymore in the supercars category.
It really isn't, and it will never be a leading category.

That's not the point, TCM is popular regardless if it's not a leading category. If you think TCM is not gaining popularity you're in denial.
No I'm not, I'm just not a redneck who lives for the past.

I enjoy watching them, but I can't take any category that Steven Johnson dominates seriously.

No I'm not, I'm just not a redneck who lives for the past.

I enjoy watching them, but I can't take any category that Steven Johnson dominates seriously.

I don't know how redneck comes into it or the past. I'll spell it out for you.

It's not about the past or rednecks. (I think you mean bogan btw, redneck is american and would support mustangs)

It's the fact it's not Holden or Falcon anymore, in the "past" the majority of fans turned on the tv or went to the track because there were Holdens and Falcons.

What's the attraction now? Opels and Mustangs? If it is just purely about car racing then ok you've got a handful of fans that don't give a flying about what manufacturers are represented.

Do you think that the majority of fans watching supercars when it was Holdens and Falcons were watching it purely for the racing and the racing alone? Of course not, they had a connection because of the cars on the track.

As far as Stevie goes I don't think those who watch TCM give a flying about who's driving they're watching it for the cars and is gaining popularity. So it's not just about you.

Ok mate, you continue that theme..... it isn't gonna work for you but you do that.

The fact you don't know what TCR is tells me all I need to know

Don't play dumb, you and I and everyone else knows the point I'm making.
When I say I don't know, I mean I don't know.

Usually when I disagree with someone about motorsport on here, I can normally see where they're coming from. In your case with this topic, I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'm not even going to attempt to know what you're assuming.

That's probably a little emotional, you and I and everyone else knows that's not what we want.
Are you kidding??? 5lt V8 were outdated certainly by the early 00s. Australia has probably missed out on two productive regs as the premier class (3lt V6 & 2lt) all to keep the status quo of overrated boat anchors. Australia being a pretty immature motorsport culture.

I'm merely pointing out what is fact. The ATCC has lost it's relativity because the average fan can't connect like they used to.
The ATCC/supercars has never been huge, as it's always been about Bathurst. As it stands, the relativity is because the cars in the premier class don't represent the higher selling cars here

The Ford/Holden rivalry has been overstated since the mid-00s as a minimum. It's been flogged to death for superficial and commercial reasons, and ****** up the rest of the motorsport scene here.

Yeah you're drawing a long bow there, the Ford and Holden rivalry is probably the biggest thing in Aus trouring cars if you ask the average fan. BS or not if that's what it is to the "younger" fans.

If the average Falcon and Holden fan aren't watching or attending anymore then that's the majority of the fan base isn't it.
It may be the biggest thing in Aus motorsport's past. But as I said in the previous post, has been overstated since the mid-00s at least.

As far as the "younger" supporters go what's the attraction? Why not just go watch F1? What's the connection that will keep the "young" ones attracted? Is it what the old man told them? You know the rusted on Holden or Falcon fan. What is it that will keep them interested apart from the actual racing?
They do watch F1.

Is the racing enough to sustain a loyal fan base?

Whichever you way you boil it down and dissect it, the average Falcon and Holden fan will leave because there's no Holdens or Falcons anymore and that's the bulk of the fan base.
The bulk of v8suprcars fanbase. Mainstream motorsport fans have been dismissed for 20 years.

imadodgyumpire I'll spell out my point for you and I'm actually perplexed you're not getting what I'm saying.

The last post of mine you replied to was glaringly evident of my point.

You can't watch Falcons or Commodores anymore in the supercars category.

Surely you should be able to understand that. The attraction now for the average car racing fan in supercars is what?

I don't need to know what TCR is to know that I don't watch supercars anymore.

The reason the "overstated" 5 ltr V8 class has gone as long as it has is because it's marketable - V8's a very popular in this country, especially Australian built ones. No ones gives a flying if the V8 is "dinosaur", it has appeal.

Why do you think that Holden can't sell their Opels? Because they threw away a V8 variant.

To suggest that supercars will sustain it's supporter base and there's "nothing to see here" attitude will keep the numbers up is naive.

Mark my words supercars will not keep the average fan base - and that's the bulk of it.

When I say I don't know, I mean I don't know.

Usually when I disagree with someone about motorsport on here, I can normally see where they're coming from. In your case with this topic, I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'm not even going to attempt to know what you're assuming.

Are you kidding??? 5lt V8 were outdated certainly by the early 00s. Australia has probably missed out on two productive regs as the premier class (3lt V6 & 2lt) all to keep the status quo of overrated boat anchors. Australia being a pretty immature motorsport culture.

The ATCC/supercars has never been huge, as it's always been about Bathurst. As it stands, the relativity is because the cars in the premier class don't represent the higher selling cars here

The Ford/Holden rivalry has been overstated since the mid-00s as a minimum. It's been flogged to death for superficial and commercial reasons, and ****** up the rest of the motorsport scene here.
The Ford/Holden rivalry has been waning. I’d still rather watch Supercars every day of the week if it came down to a straight choice between it and F1. Supercars is generally competitive and entertaining. F1 bores me to tears. They go round and round and round it has been so ducking boring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Ford/Holden rivalry has been waning. I’d still rather watch Supercars every day of the week if it came down to a straight choice between it and F1. Supercars is generally competitive and entertaining. F1 bores me to tears. They go round and round and round it has been so ducking boring.

Yes Lebbo i couldnt agree with you more. It really is ****ed

I don't think it's that good. There are many flaws in the series. But I'm not going to s**t on your head over listing every thing.

Carrying on about the Ford/Holden rivalry is like the AFL carrying on the Fitzroy/Collingwood rivalry of early last century as a feature of the current day.

Complaining about F1 being boring is like saying you like cricket, but tests are boring. Unless you're complain about mandatory pitstops and forced use of multiple compounds, I cannot share the opinion.

Just geeing you up. Fan support for Supercars probably won’t drop off too much any more. It’s a good product. What’s frustrating though is seeing Lowndes gently pushed while he was having one of his best years into a commentating position that Rusty was killing it in.

It's a good product vs the British touring cars how? Or the German variant? It's only because it's locally and readily available that it holds anything over any other motor racing format.

Fan support won't drop off how? What's the attraction to supercars now? I can tell you it's not the cars apart from the odd muzzie fan, so you're left with pure car racing enthusiasts they're not in it for the cars.

How many fans went to the track or watched the tv when it was Holden v Falcon purely based on the racing? Probably the majority

Why do you think the Touring Car Masters is gaining popularity? Because of the cars in it maybe?

As far as the Lowndes scenario goes, I didn't know because I'm not interested in watching anything supercars anymore. I want it back and know I can't have it but that's why the average fan will walk away there's no attraction about supercars for them.

Part of the fun of following motor racing, is to see an driver/team develop int0 a more competitive force than what they were to begin with. In the case of the a professional series, there's also the toing and froing between the leading teams over a a number of years.

But supercars like to take the fun of racing, to create artificial racing to appease their theatregoers (aka. fans), and keep a hierarchy as is.

The ballast exhaust is one of the simplest and smartest ideas I have heard come out of Supercars for a long time. I hope the genius that came up with that at DJRTP got a hefty Christmas bonus.

A big appeal to me about motorsport has always been engineers v the rule book, and the reward for ingenuity and thinking outside the box. In no particular order, the F Duct, the double diffuser, the Gurney flap, Honda tricking the pop off valves in CART, Paul Morris mixing tyre compounds, and Penske 1994 Indy 500.

Parc ferme rules this weekend. No car adjustments after qualifying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back