Game Day North v Port VFL practice match (THE RETURN OF COMPETITIVE FOOTY TO ARDEN STREET)

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Red Og was #17 wasn't he?
There were two skinny redheads off the back line with similar haircuts wearing 17 and 19. Pretty sure Red Óg was 17.

MaccaRoo

All Australian
Dec 16, 2008
Ardeer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's not quick and never will be, but he reeks of an UBER stoppage machine. He only needs milliseconds to release a team mate in to space.

Did you see his screw back pass under full pace and pressure whilst running to the boundary in front of our club rooms with Port blokes on his hammer? That was downright ******* ELITE! I s**t you not non spectators, it was Darren Jarman good!

Start thinking Sam Mitchell mate.

Yep, that bit of play certainly had people around me going off their nut.

MaccaRoo

All Australian
Dec 16, 2008
Ardeer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There were two skinny redheads off the back line with similar haircuts wearing 17 and 19. Pretty sure Red Óg was 17.

Yeah that's what I thought, Red Og went ok but if I was mistaken and he was 19, we'd be very excited because that kid in 19 was a real goer.

Didn't see this thread, posted in the VFL one, oh well. Skimmed over what is already here. TT showed a couple of times that he does infact have the ball on a string. Some very deft collections of the ball and quick footwork to get him out of trouble. Crocker was ok, as in a good ok, not being at all dismissive, did what he needed to do and his disposal was pretty good. Wilkinson took a nice mark with a nice spring and late in the game linked up at least a couple of times by hand to run the ball up the clubhouse side wing and after the 7th fumble we goaled. Zurhaar seems to be just cruising, maybe just has the ability/natural talent to be able to. Was a bit frustrating I think, but not horrid. Hayden ran through the middle, with himself, Ahern and Nick Rippon the more regular players starting in the middle. Lots of run from the backline from Murphy. A very noice running goal from outside 50 after a bounce. Dec Watson, snagged a 1 hander and goaled. Red Og, definitely left footed, hit a couple of short passes where the ball spin was meh. Hit a longer ball with a much better shape. Ahern got a fair bit of it, it seemed, and also seemed to use it well.

The backline is incredibly undersized. Whitecross took the tall with Murphy the next "senior" player. A lot of the ball from the backline went through Murphy.

Jansen, Holmes and Leonardis did not play and it was Rippons' first gallop for the year.

When I got there I was sure I saw Larkey playing, but he either was injured and gone very early or I am mistaken.

Tommy Campbell was there, Will Walker, Sam Durdin, young Bradley was there, I thought I saw JMac, but I was at CHF at the Arden St. end, so not too sure.

We seemed to get it to either the HBF and go sideways and fluff it, or get to the HFF and go sideways and fluff it. Pretty frustrating. Umps were meh, Port are a pretty big and strong team.

Didn't get a coffee. Reckon Port won by a few goals tbh. They were up by 2 and a bit goals at the half and I can't think we got any closer.

Little mate was awake at the start of the Burnley tunnel, but had gonked out by the other side

Apologies to Curtis Taylor. I know he played ..... B. Scott had a bit of a yack to him at 3/4 time, but I can only remember him because I didn't remember his name. I might buy him a beer :)

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Yeah that's what I thought, Red Og went ok but if I was mistaken and he was 19, we'd be very excited because that kid in 19 was a real goer.
I'm guessing but I think 19 was Louis Cunningham. Very vocal and very pissed of with the shambolic backline in the 2nd qtr.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Didn't see this thread, posted in the VFL one, oh well. Skimmed over what is already here. TT showed a couple of times that he does infact have the ball on a string. Some very deft collections of the ball and quick footwork to get him out of trouble. Crocker was ok, as in a good ok, not being at all dismissive, did what he needed to do and his disposal was pretty good. Wilkinson took a nice mark with a nice spring and late in the game linked up at least a couple of times by hand to run the ball up the clubhouse side wing and after the 7th fumble we goaled. Zurhaar seems to be just cruising, maybe just has the ability/natural talent to be able to. Was a bit frustrating I think, but not horrid. Hayden ran through the middle, with himself, Ahern and Nick Rippon the more regular players starting in the middle. Lots of run from the backline from Murphy. A very noice running goal from outside 50 after a bounce. Dec Watson, snagged a 1 hander and goaled. Red Og, definitely left footed, hit a couple of short passes where the ball spin was meh. Hit a longer ball with a much better shape. Ahern got a fair bit of it, it seemed, and also seemed to use it well.

The backline is incredibly undersized. Whitecross took the tall with Murphy the next "senior" player. A lot of the ball from the backline went through Murphy.

Jansen, Holmes and Leonardis did not play and it was Rippons' first gallop for the year.

When I got there I was sure I saw Larkey playing, but he either was injured and gone very early or I am mistaken.

Tommy Campbell was there, Will Walker, Sam Durdin, young Bradley was there, I thought I saw JMac, but I was at CHF at the Arden St. end, so not too sure.

We seemed to get it to either the HBF and go sideways and fluff it, or get to the HFF and go sideways and fluff it. Pretty frustrating. Umps were meh, Port are a pretty big and strong team.

Didn't get a coffee. Reckon Port won by a few goals tbh. They were up by 2 and a bit goals at the half and I can't think we got any closer.

Little mate was awake at the start of the Burnley tunnel, but had gonked out by the other side
Murphy certainly put the jets on with that goal. I'd heard about his pace but never seen it first hand before.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'm guessing but I think 19 was Louis Cunningham. Very vocal and very pissed of with the shambolic backline in the 2nd qtr.

The kid goes hard.

Again, thanks to the increasingly incompetent NMFC for turning a simple exercise in to a complete guessing game.

Murphy certainly put the jets on with that goal. I'd heard about his pace but never seen it first hand before.

I reckon his role has changed quite a bit. I can't recall him offering as much run as he did today. I reckon he had 3 running bounces. It was a decent ping that goal.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I reckon his role has changed quite a bit. I can't recall him offering as much run as he did today. I reckon he had 3 running bounces. It was a decent ping that goal.
That burst of speed has nearly sold me on him. I certainly hope to see more of that this season. And us using him in that capacity.

As much as we are all about watching the AFL listed guys, and disappointed at the result, the way we played, it's worth remembering the blokes not playing. Three of the 4 main ball winners were not playing, not too sure what happened with Larkey and they have lost the 3 big defenders from last year, McKay, Durdin and Neilson, as well as Close. Xerri missing is a pretty big loss too.

MaccaRoo

All Australian
Dec 16, 2008
Ardeer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As much as we are all about watching the AFL listed guys, and disappointed at the result, the way we played, it's worth remembering the blokes not playing. Three of the 4 main ball winners were not playing, not too sure what happened with Larkey and they have lost the 3 big defenders from last year, McKay, Durdin and Neilson, as well as Close. Xerri missing is a pretty big loss too.

As well As Campbell, Walker. Jansen, Leonardis, Durdin and Close.

As well As Campbell, Walker. Jansen, Leonardis, Durdin and Close.
Lol, well Jansen and Leonardis, along with "the bash, crash and smash Nash" Holmes are the 3 of the 4 main ball winners mentioned. Durdin I had, as well as Close. I wonder why Campbell didn't play? Also Mitch Rodd missed with injury from last week

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Someone mentioned earlier that Larkey might be traveling to Perth as tall cover.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Lol, well Jansen and Leonardis, along with "the bash, crash and smash Nash" Holmes are the 3 of the 4 main ball winners mentioned. Durdin I had, as well as Close. I wonder why Campbell didn't play? Also Mitch Rodd missed with injury from last week
Possibly the 1 game ban in JLT has cost big Tom about 4 weeks of footy.

Back