Game Day North Melbourne v Fremantle Game Day Thread (round 1, 2019) (NO opposition supporters)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Finally, it's here!

1553346789881.png

Where and when: Optus Stadium, Sunday March 24, 3.20pm (AWST)
Weather: Sunny. Maximum 27C
Media:
1553346567462.png

The teams:

1553346961972.png

Last time they met: Optus Stadium, round 10, 2018: Fremantle 8.10 (58) lost to North Melbourne 12.14 (86)
North Melbourne became the first interstate side to leave a clash with Fremantle at Optus Stadium with the four points after overcoming some woeful early inaccuracy. Tagger Ben Jacobs (29 disposals, one goal) kept red-hot Dockers superstar Nat Fyfe (31, eight clearances) under control and was best afield, while Jarrad Waite booted three goals.

1553346738330.png

Congratulations to North debutantes Aaron Hall, Bailey Scott, Dom Tyson, Jasper Pittard and Jared Polec.

My tip: North by 27 points

Last edited:

Home late after a big night and all pumped up for tomorrow. Had dropped over to Arden St. yesterday to see some training at 11:30 and then a bit of the VFL. A couple of questions:

1) Is Sunday 6:30pm AEST the latest we've been fixtured by the AFL for a round 1 game? Talk about being shafted by the AFL (again) and pushed into the timeslot of obscurity and invisibility.
2) For those in Perth who may have seen the team arrive at the airport or hit the training track did anyone see Ben McKay? He definitely didn't appear to be with the boys during their light training session yesterday.

Anyway GO NORTH!!!!ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I’m staggered that the 4 guys we traded for ALL get a start in round 1. Now that’s what you call champagne trading. Cam Joyce and co. are freaks the way they can suck other clubs in to fall for the old 2-card trick.
Frankly, Pittard and Hall didn't show much in the pre-season games to justify being selected for round one. Selection committee is certainly taking a punt on them.

Terrible time slot as we only get a short time to celebrate a win !!
So today I mow the lawns , weed the garden, water the garden, walk the dog, fix a tap, clean the house - have a beer then watch North.
It would want to be a good game or I may be pushing out some zzzzz’s at this timeslot

Frankly, Pittard and Hall didn't show much in the pre-season games to justify being selected for round one. Selection committee is certainly taking a punt on them.
Yeah not really. Clearly coaching stuff don't place as much value on JLT as Bigfooty.

They aren't kids out of the draft.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think it will be as easy as some suggest. Freo don't have the household names on paper but still have a decent side.

Fyfe, Hill, Mundy, Cerra, Brayshaw, Walters will be more than competitive especially if Cerra and Brayshaw improve on last years output. They are future guns.

McCarthy, Taberner and Lobb will give them a target up forward, something they didn't have last season. Our tall backs will need to beat their opponent while our small defenders need to nullify their smalls when the ball hits the deck.

Now I don't know about anyone else but that last sentence I said doesn't fill me with much confidence. We must control the midfield battle and convert our chances, especially early on in the game.

Either way, pumped for round 1 to be here!

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Don't think it will be as easy as some suggest. Freo don't have the household names on paper but still have a decent side.

Fyfe, Hill, Mundy, Cerra, Brayshaw, Walters will be more than competitive especially if Cerra and Brayshaw improve on last years output. They are future guns.

McCarthy, Taberner and Lobb will give them a target up forward, something they didn't have last season. Our tall backs will need to beat their opponent while our small defenders need to nullify their smalls when the ball hits the deck.

Now I don't know about anyone else but that last sentence I said doesn't fill me with much confidence. We must control the midfield battle and convert our chances, especially early on in the game.

Freo are roadkill, even with 18 Fyfes they don't get within 10 goals of us. ....Blowtorch to be applied to Ross Lyon next week after a Round 1 humiliation.....

I am puzzled about their defensive match ups, because if Hamling goes to BBB, then who does Pearce get? He's too slow for anyone else.

Logic tells me Pearce will take Brown and Hamling will go with Ziebs. This leaves a a query on the Wood match up. I suppose it's Ryan.

I would definitely be pleased if Atley lined up on Walters, as Shaun has the skills to shut him down.

Tazz to Taberner
B-Mac to Lobb/Darcy
EVW to McCarthy

It is absolutely possible to lose. In fact, given the possible outs and underdone-ness of our players I wouldn't be surprised.

Storm aside, we talked crap about GC and paid for it as a community. Touch plank.

I expect Freo numbers galore choking our forward 50 when we have the pill, with their aim to outnumber and cut off space before launching an attack with runners. They did so v WC in the JLT but stuffed up the attacking bit, despite having more attacking targets available that day.

Fyfe to clock up 50 possies and North to win by 25 pts.

I expect Freo numbers galore choking our forward 50 when we have the pill, with their aim to outnumber and cut off space before launching an attack with runners.

Lyon 101.

They better get it done early if that's the case, as I reckon we have a solid advantage with the runners. Particularly as the game wears on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back