• Kayo

Votes: 45 44.1%
  • Channel 7

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 26 25.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

From my understanding, when you watch 'foxtel exclusive' matches you should get the ad-free... last night & tonights games were Channel 7 games and foxtel just retransmit those, hence the ads.

During the JLT matches (which were Foxtel exclusive), they were all ad-free?
When taking the Ch 7 feed do they stream ads between goals or just at the quarter time breaks? If the former, that sucks.

When taking the Ch 7 feed do they stream ads between goals or just at the quarter time breaks? If the former, that sucks.
Ads between goals. Channel 7 games use the 7 feed - complete with ads.

It's because of the shitty streaming rights which dictate free to air games must include the free to air coverage, ads included, when streamed. Same as the mobile app and Foxtel Now.

If Foxtel/Kayo wanted to, I'm sure they could renegotiate that before the next rights in 2023, after all money talks. Even though this TV deal is fairly new, Kayo wasn't a thing when it was put together. It seemed kinda rushed as part of the new cricket rights and probably wouldn't be here without that, which explains the lack of supported devices. But they either can't be bothered having the discussions with the appropriate parties or don't think it's worth the money. It's never bothered them for Foxtel Now, but that was always pitched as the inferior option and ads in 3-5 AFL Games per round just reinforced that. Kayo is aimed at a different market, and a lot of them won't be happy paying for the same content that is free, ads and all.

Does the telstra free afl live thing work overseas?

As far as I know that’s for within Australia only.
For overseas you need WatchAFL app or website.
I forget how much their different passes are as I just get a yearly subscription as part of International Membership.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still no NBN here, 3 down, one up ADSL.
This has been, somewhat surprisingly, enough for HD Netflix in the main. But nowhere near it for Kayo - buffers constantly. Any ideas why? Anything I can do in Kodi or otherwise?

As far as I know that’s for within Australia only.
For overseas you need WatchAFL app or website.
I forget how much their different passes are as I just get a yearly subscription as part of International Membership.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I already had a VPN app in my phone so I set it up to Australia and it worked well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm about to make the plunge on Kayo. One question though, how do I watch it on a Samsung Smart TV? There's no obvious app. Will Chromecast do the trick?
Ide stay away from Chromecast.

Buy and Android TV box (around $60 on eBay) and install the Android TV Kayo app or run it via Kodi.

I can chuck you a link for the Android TV version of the Kayo app as this version is not in the play store for the Android TV boxes (the phone app is in there instead).

Chromecast has mixed results, is not really an ideal solution and I would not hold my breath waiting for a Samsung app.

Ide stay away from Chromecast.

Buy and Android TV box (around $60 on eBay) and install the Android TV Kayo app or run it via Kodi.

I can chuck you a link for the Android TV version of the Kayo app as this version is not in the play store for the Android TV boxes (the phone app is in there instead).

Chromecast has mixed results, is not really an ideal solution and I would not hold my breath waiting for a Samsung app.

Ok. I reckon I'll try connecting my laptop to the TV first, see how that goes and if the image quality isn't good enough, then I'll have to go the Android TV route.

For Kayo I bought a couple of cheap TelstraTV boxes. Plugged one into my HD projector in the theatre room (For PAFC games - awesome viewing experience) and another into my LG Smart TV (for other games) - both work great.

For Kayo I bought a couple of cheap TelstraTV boxes. Plugged one into my HD projector in the theatre room (For PAFC games - awesome viewing experience) and another into my LG Smart TV (for other games) - both work great.
Yes this is also an option.
If you gonna spend money on a Telstra TV box though, better off grabbing an Android TV box. Can do so much more.

I'm about to make the plunge on Kayo. One question though, how do I watch it on a Samsung Smart TV? There's no obvious app. Will Chromecast do the trick?
I watch it on my computer .. have a very big 70cm screen. Not bothered to get a new TV.

Last edited:
Yes this is also an option.
If you gonna spend money on a Telstra TV box though, better off grabbing an Android TV box. Can do so much more.

‘Bought’ - translation: Got one for free when Telstra changed us to the NBN and paid $20 for the other one from my nephew who didn’t want his 👍. Might try picking up a Kodi also somewhere to see it’s like. Thanks for the recommendation. 🙋🏻‍♂️

Back