Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Heading to Europe in April with my girlfriend and spending three nights in each of:
  • Warsaw
  • Vilnius
  • Riga – hiring a car and heading to Jūrkalne (a tiny coastal town with ancestral links) and might check out Ventspils if we have time
  • Tallinn – with a day-trip by ferry to Helsinki
  • Saint Petersburg.
We loved 'free' walking tours when we were in Europe in 2016/17, so we'll do as many of those as possible. Otherwise, if anyone has any tips or recommendations, they'd be greatly appreciated.

If you only have 3 days in Poland, skip Warsaw and go to Krakow.

Warsaw is a great city to live in, but it wouldn’t be in my top 5 Polish cities for tourist visit.
Have already been to Kraków on our last trip to Europe (precisely because we didn't have long to spend in Poland and everyone seems to recommend it ahead of Warsaw).

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have already been to Kraków on our last trip to Europe (precisely because we didn't have long to spend in Poland and everyone seems to recommend it ahead of Warsaw).

Then I'd go Wroclaw or Gdansk mate.

Torun is amazing too, and Malbork is near it.

If you're set on Warsaw, I'd try and spend a night in Poznan as well; beautiful place.

As I said, Warsaw is a great place to live, and very cool city, but it was destroyed during WWII, so it isn't as authentic or interesting as the old towns.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has anyone done Dubrovnik in Croatia?

I am thinking of doing it on my next trip to check out the Games of Thrones locations.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
7441858434fef4b0a7b296c3cd2f8c81.jpg
aea2bca29c6c06d4dbd288ffd8afbe01.jpg

A couple of shots from a beautiful twilight last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
I don't care about that.

I' after peoples opinion of the place.

European Sydney harbour on boat days.

If you’re going for a purpose, choose shoulder season. It will be unbearable otherwise

I’d go to Montenegro instead. Or Portugal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iDon

Find me on the Golf Board
Jan 30, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Glad to hear your ended up taking the plunge!

If anyone else is going via Krakow I've got several paragraphs of recommendations to see/do.

Yes would like to hear this. Currently booking with the GF for early July. Leaving it late but had to wait for something to happen or not to book.

Also, am going to be in Bulgaria for 4 nights after this we have maybe 5 days to finish off before flying out of Paris. Would love some recommendations of nearby countries to conclude our tour, havent seen much if at all any of these countries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably similar stats, though average age 21-35. If you're going try go during shoulder periods rather than peak, as it's overrun with tourists during high season.

Not 100% true
It’s a small popular city, yes.
BUT
It’s over run with cruise tourists
In and out in a day

I did a city tour on a day with 5 cruise ships (4 huge ones) and yes. It is unbearable. No where to stop and sit in the old town. But that night close to the hotel strip, the promenade. Easy to get a seat for dinner as long as you got there before soccer kickoff (Croatia vs Russia? 1/4 finals)
But 2 days later, we did a game of tour. Firstly, the tour starts outside the city walls and goes to the red keep first which is quite quiet. Then in the city. It’s quick. But, on this day there was only 2 cruise ships (1 huge one).

And this was the middle of high season.

I wouldn’t rule out Dubrovnik instantly in high season. But I’d look at the cruise itinerary in the city first. If there’s 4+ cruise ships. Don’t even stop. Drive right by and head to Montenegro. 0-2 cruise ships and stop. 3? That’s probably where you need to stop and think. If you hate crowds, this is the tipping point where you don’t go. If crowds don’t phase you, it won’t be too bad.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is lots of good advice given in this thread and it's usually in good spirits.

You can't "do" a city or country, they are not people. You can visit them and have great experiences.

I don't need to be told this.

My post was picked apart because I wrote 'done' instead of 'been' and a few replies were people just wanting to feel entitled and not actually help out.

Thank you for your well measured response ,I appreciate reading a sensible post on here and I am not here to start stirring a pot.

I have read through most of the thread and some people have said some great stuff, It just hasn't been on the last few pages.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't need to be told this.
I think it's just a pet peeve of many who really enjoy traveling and exploring. I'll be honest, it annoys me also.

On Dubrovnik, it's a beautiful little city. The first time i visited was 8 years ago, before GoT and the big crowds arrived. The second time wasn't during peak season. 1 day and night was enough for me, as I loved the islands, plus makarska. There is a really nice view at sunset from a hill just near the old town. Go up there to see sunset.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Travel elitists and language prescriptionists are the worst. Someone saying "done" or "do" is not a measure or indication of how they'll experience somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back