The best midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

But I thought the pies had the best midfield ever assembled blah blah blah...
Round 1 2001, Brisbane’s midfield lost to Schofield, Stevens and Francou. They should’ve thrown in the towel too.

I think at our best we can be up there
Taking nothing away from the Doggies but any of the 18 midfields at their best, will beat any other midfield that is 2% off. It’s a fairly even competition.

Your last few minutes yesterday were unbelievable against a fast finishing Swannies.

Taking nothing away from the Doggies but any of the 18 midfields at their best, will beat any other midfield that is 2% off. It’s a fairly even competition.

Overall though a starting 3 of Bont, macrae, Libba, with hunter, Wallis, McLean rotating through is very strong. Wallis probably the weaker link.

Collingwood were crying out for Adams and even Sier the other night. Beams just doesn’t have the hunger to go in and win a hard ball, and whilst Treloar is usually a strong ball winner, his usage since coming back from injury has been the worst in years, and there were a couple of times he dodged the contest which resulted in Geelong being able to break away. Pendlebury was very very off and Sidebottom picked up in the second half but just couldn’t work his magic. Phillips used it awfully, and Stephenson is clearly not ready to take on a midfield role. The decision to play Brown ahead of the experienced tough nut Greenwood and the supremely talented Sier was mind numbingly stupid.

Including Sier is a must this week. Hopefully Pendles, Treloar and Phillips were just shaking off the cob webs and will step it up in the coming weeks. Aish and Mayne can’t play in the same side, Greenwood should play as an inside option and small defender ahead of Aish.

I'm happy with the potential in port's midfield.
Lycett and Ryder combo is working and Boak + Rockliff are winding back the clock. Both fit and firing.
Gray swinging through and still have Wines to come back.

GWS still has a very strong midfield. Was bizarre to hear on the commentary Basil etc seemingly being surprised they were playing very well against the Bombers. Shiel was not a big loss. Scully didn’t play all of last year basically so they’re used to him not being there.

Taranto really coming into his own. Coniglio is a jet and still only 25. Hopper is a handy footballer too. Whitfield another jet.

Then you’ve got Kelly and Ward to come back. Plus the ball use is so good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 2001, Brisbane’s midfield lost to Schofield, Stevens and Francou. They should’ve thrown in the towel too.
Primus and Francou were every bit as good as Brisbane's Ruck and best clearance player :)

Given we beat them often....and without them both when it mattered... :)

The record is 50/50 and in finals 2-1 Lions way
Fair enough, which I'd imagine for that 4 or so year period was against the grain compared to how you fared with other teams.

Those 2 wins for you were at the Gabba though.

I think North can push for having a top 8 midfield, if Ben Jacobs can get back on the park (and to form).

Goldstein, Higgins, Cunnington, Polec and Jacobs is right up there.

Too bad the year we've finally put a good midfield in is the year we only have two capable forwards.

Nope. Other than your ruck, that's horrible compared to what other clubs have.

E.g. Carlton are a consensus bottom 4 midfield atm, yet:

Cripps, Murphy, Walsh, Curnow would still be chosen by some against Higgins, Cunnington, Polec and Jacobs

Nope. Other than your ruck, that's horrible compared to what other clubs have.

E.g. Carlton are a consensus bottom 4 midfield atm, yet:

Cripps, Murphy, Walsh, Curnow would still be chosen by some against Higgins, Cunnington, Polec and Jacobs

Weird analysis. Goldstein is probably the weakest of that lot. It's not 2012, Higgins was talked up as a Brownlow contender, Cunnington is one of the top clearance players in the game, and Jacobs is almost unarguably the best tagger.

You then have more than handy players like Ahern, Ziebell and Anderson running through.

Probably not the best time for me to be bragging about North players given yesterday's result, but North's midfield is full of great players. Individually, anyway. Still working on the midfield as a unit.

Weird analysis. Goldstein is probably the weakest of that lot. It's not 2012, Higgins was talked up as a Brownlow contender, Cunnington is one of the top clearance players in the game, and Jacobs is almost unarguably the best tagger.

You then have more than handy players like Ahern, Ziebell and Anderson running through.

Probably not the best time for me to be bragging about North players given yesterday's result, but North's midfield is full of great players. Individually, anyway. Still working on the midfield as a unit.

You named 5 players, including 4 of your best mids. Objectively, your top 4 mids is nowhere close to top 8.

Higgins (1st best mid) - He's 31 and played one great season. I rate him, but almost every club has someone as good or better than him.
E.g. Kelly, Cripps, Macrae, Parker, Sidebottom, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Brayshaw, Sloane, Mitchell, Shiel, Gaff (That's 13 teams whose best mid is better than North's best mid)

Cunnington (2nd best mid) - I rate him, he's in his prime and a very good players. But again, almost every club has someone as good or better than him as their second mid. E.g. Coniglio, Beams, Cotchin, Oliver, Shuey, Selwood, Heppell, Bontempelli, Crouch, Kennedy, Jaeger (That's 11 of the teams from the previous list whose 2nd best mid is better than North's best mid. Cunnington doesn't belong in the same conversation as some of these guys).

Polec (3rd best mid) - Lol, vs Ward, Pendlebury, Prestia, Viney, Yeo, GAblett, Zerrett, Hunter, Gibbs, Heeney? Not even in the same class

Jacobs (Tagger) - Yes, I'd have him as no.1 tagger. But he doesn't make up for the lack of star power. And most clubs don't really play a tagger which is why there's not much competition for this title.

North are a great club overall, have a great history and deserve respect. But their current midfield doesn't belong in this conversation.

Midfields these days should include ruckman and wings and should go 12-15 deep. Eg.

McEvoy
Scully Mitchell O"Meara Wingard Smith

Celgar
Impey Burgoyne Shiels Worpel Henderson

Cousins Morrison Howe in reserve

You named 5 players, including 4 of your best mids. Objectively, your top 4 mids is nowhere close to top 8.

Higgins (1st best mid) - He's 31 and played one great season. I rate him, but almost every club has someone as good or better than him.
E.g. Kelly, Cripps, Macrae, Parker, Sidebottom, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Brayshaw, Sloane, Mitchell, Shiel, Gaff (That's 13 teams whose best mid is better than North's best mid)

Cunnington (2nd best mid) - I rate him, he's in his prime and a very good players. But again, almost every club has someone as good or better than him as their second mid. E.g. Coniglio, Beams, Cotchin, Oliver, Shuey, Selwood, Heppell, Bontempelli, Crouch, Kennedy, Jaeger (That's 11 of the teams from the previous list whose 2nd best mid is better than North's best mid. Cunnington doesn't belong in the same conversation as some of these guys).

Polec (3rd best mid) - Lol, vs Ward, Pendlebury, Prestia, Viney, Yeo, GAblett, Zerrett, Hunter, Gibbs, Heeney? Not even in the same class

Jacobs (Tagger) - Yes, I'd have him as no.1 tagger. But he doesn't make up for the lack of star power. And most clubs don't really play a tagger which is why there's not much competition for this title.

North are a great club overall, have a great history and deserve respect. But their current midfield doesn't belong in this conversation.

Hard to argue! Well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back