Autopsy 2019 Rd 1 vs Richmond - Improved Blues go down by 33 points

Which players did you like the look of in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it's only RD 1 but it does flatten me to see Brisbane playing such a good brand of footy and now winning games (good style all last year too). Whilst we just did the usual thing of long down the line and playing in patches.

I really hope against an opposition not as strong as Richmond that we play some exciting footy.

We did play pretty exciting footy...some nice ball movement throughout the night.

Richmond's trademark pressure and Charlie & Faz having an off night up forward really hurt us.

One thing i'd point out between us and Brisbane is they actually have quite a mature midfield whereas ours is kids outside Cripps and Murph. Midfielders typically run the most km's and it's where games are mainly won and lost...we stood up to Richmond but unfortunately didn't have the run in the legs in the last quarter.

If you did become a Carlton supporter then you have to hate the Tigers... None of this half way house stuff.........
We had one of your mates here talking about a 2nd team....2nd team...sheesh....no such thing..............
No chance i change teams , Im as dedicated Tigers man as they come and i dont believe in 2nd teams but if the mighty tigers were to go into extinction then i would most likely follow Geelong

No other melbourne team's specially Collingwood Carlton Essendon or Hawthorn ( too much invested into hating them)
Couldnt support a minnow team as there is no atmosphere and there supporters are not as dedicated
Couldnt support a interstate team as its just not done

Leaves the Cats

A few things:

1. Still not match fit enough
2. Still failing to make the most of our opportunities
3. Richmond moving the ball from defence too quickly
4. Richmond always seemed to have an extra man behind or in front of the ball slowing our ball movement

Sorry, not singling you out but your post on the subject is the one I knew where to find.

GPS data out for round one.

Hardest running team measured by total KM covered?

Carlton.

What we are seeing is motivated young players busting their arse to make up for the greater polish, cohesion and experience of their opponent.

There are a number of serious positives in that.

They are fit, and motivated. We can expect to see the fitness part drop off in the last third of the season, coz they will get tired - as young players do.

Sorry, not singling you out but your post on the subject is the one I knew where to find.

Carlton.

What we are seeing is motivated young players busting their arse to make up for the greater polish, cohesion and experience of their opponent.

They are fit, and motivated. We can expect to see the fitness part drop off in the last third of the season, coz they will get tired - as young players do.
That may be so. But remember we have others fit by then and waiting for a run.
Looking good.

Carlton.

That’s an interesting stat.
Very positive, however also very taxing if players are lacking system in their running patterns.
Composure and efficiency are the 2 things I want to see use improve on.
Do that and we’ll begin the rise fairly quickly

That’s an interesting stat.
Very positive, however also very taxing if players are lacking system in their running patterns.
Composure and efficiency are the 2 things I want to see use improve on.
Do that and we’ll begin the rise fairly quickly

True.

Another fun fact. Second hardest running side was Richmond.

We made the * ers work to the max to stop our run from 6 goals back.

Injury gods permitting, we are going to give a fair bit of cheek.

They had few injuries last year. So had could consolidate and play together.

Then they added Neale and got Cameron and Andrews back.

Give us a year of playing together without major injuries and we'll be just as good, if not better.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Spot on 18 was a wasted development year due to injuries for us, we played as good footy in 17 as Brisbane did last year but our development got stalled in 18 or we would be ahead of Brisbane instead of behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arguably turned Watson & Mitchell into Brownlow medalists, yet isn't working with any Carlton boys?
Because when the old players came to help out under Ratten the dickheads like Mathieson said there where to many Carlton people around the club and we need people from recently successful teams hence Ratten and all the Carlton boys out. So why would you bother when that’s what you get thrown at you. Bombers were only to happy to snap him up to help there mids.

No chance i change teams , Im as dedicated Tigers man as they come and i dont believe in 2nd teams but if the mighty tigers were to go into extinction then i would most likely follow Geelong

No other melbourne team's specially Collingwood Carlton Essendon or Hawthorn ( too much invested into hating them)
Couldnt support a minnow team as there is no atmosphere and there supporters are not as dedicated
Couldnt support a interstate team as its just not done

Leaves the Cats
like they'd even have you, gunster.....

True.

Another fun fact. Second hardest running side was Richmond.

We made the **** ers work to the max to stop our run from 6 goals back.

Injury gods permitting, we are going to give a fair bit of cheek.

Richmond's trademark running and pressure was a little too much for us...which is fine. Reckon we would have beaten many other teams based on what i saw from the other games.

Just watched the replay, a few positive notes:

- At centre square bounces, our only 2 older players that rotated through there were Cripps and Murph. The rest were made of inexperienced players like Setterfield, Dow, SPS, Fisher, Cuningham and Walsh. Average games played between these players would be about 10 lol. Saw a few centre bounces where we had Dow/Setterfield/Cunners in the middle with Walsh & Murph on the wings...yet we held our own in clearances against a mature Tigers midfield. Kennedy, LOB and Stocker to come. Midfield will be dominant once they mature.

- Gibbons was actually quite good in his first game...not easy to play your first game vs Tigers at the G in front of 85k. Watch the second quarter in particular, he was huge and was playing his role perfectly with pressure and clever tap ons resulting in goals. One blemish was his dropped mark when he burned off Rance which would have been an easy set shot at goal, but arguably the kick was a little wide. Immediately followed up with a brilliant smother.

- We ran the most km's out of all 18 teams...Tigers ran second most. Good sign that our our fitness has improved, just need to put it to good use and convert more opportunities forward of centre. We may have been the ones to overrun the opposition if not against another hard running team like Richmond.

- I don't think Ed was as bad as people are making out. Made a few errors, but who didn't? At least he was getting separation on his opponent quite regularly to give our mids an easy hit up target around half forward, which most of our other forwards weren't doing. His connection after that to hit one of the other forwards needs work, but it's only his first game in the role and our whole forward line needs time to gel, so i'm happy to persist with Ed forward. I mean it's a completely new look forward line with Ed, Faz and McGovern in it against a solid Richmond backline...give it time.

Ok so here we go again, supposed to be showing huge signs of improvement but in reality we played 2 reasonable quarters at best. If you look at it honestly, Richmond could have absolutely blown us out of the water in this game, they missed some very very easy chances to score heavily against us which kept us from looking like the *'s or Kangas. We seriously need to look at Ed Curnow (can't kick 40m as a tagger in a game that taggers dont exist in anymore), Plowman, Garlett, Phillips and Gibbons these blokes are not AFL standard. Will let Charlie of but he owes us one already. I will be going to the Port game this week and really hope we put up a better display, the last few visits here have been deplorable.

Ok so here we go again, supposed to be showing huge signs of improvement but in reality we played 2 reasonable quarters at best. If you look at it honestly, Richmond could have absolutely blown us out of the water in this game, they missed some very very easy chances to score heavily against us which kept us from looking like the *'s or Kangas. We seriously need to look at Ed Curnow (can't kick 40m as a tagger in a game that taggers dont exist in anymore), Plowman, Garlett, Phillips and Gibbons these blokes are not AFL standard. Will let Charlie of but he owes us one already. I will be going to the Port game this week and really hope we put up a better display, the last few visits here have been deplorable.
Are you the Upstart Crow?

NB Firstly I dont think the win was convincing at all, and I dont think I am on my own. Arguably the best team of 17/18 playing the wooden spooners. We won many of the stats and they were gifted goals and momentum . they were a mature team and we are still assembling our best 22.
Secondly -Good to see you back peddling from " still displaying their severe lack of footy skills to a much more moderate and considered " there was some lack of footy skills"

Well that just depends on what we personally see 'convincing' as being.

Convincing when referring to Richmond's form... of course not!

Convincing when referring to Richmond's performance compared to ours... yes! Most certainly yes!

They took advantage of their dominant periods. They ran in numbers and were relatively calmer with ball in hand. Not to mention many of their scores (goals in particular) were kicked in open space and under little pressure unlike ours (Fisher, Thomas, Newman, Murphy, Charlie).

Same with the 'severe' lack of skills. It's a comparative issue. Carlton in recent years has been prone to making easy mistakes. Mistakes that no other team would make. Dropped sitters. Missed handballs. It even looked like every single player in our team on the night kicked the ball at least once out on the full. Even Cripps (with no pressure on him may I add). Who could forget the patches? I don't think any team can play four-quarter footy, but the blues always seem the furthest from that when trying.

Round 1 is usually when most players have the jitters and are warming themselves up for the later rounds. But Carlton the last couple of years have been like that all year round. Take round 2 last year against Gold Coast here in Victoria. That was some of the most atrocious skills I have seen in recent times. And they were coming off a game looking much better. Remember Marchbank being a serial offender here, dropping chest marks and spilling the ball all day. He wasn't the only player though. Everybody was fumbling around.

Back