Autopsy Round 1: Liked, Hated, Learnt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Liked: Stk v GCS... was the game of the round. The Gold Coast had a real crack and some exciting talent on both lists.

Hated: The media saying "underdogs" won just because the "experts" didn't give those teams a chance.

Learnt: GWS are not going away.... window is wide open.

Liked: The reduction in rolling mauls, hopefully the coaches don’t figure out how to make it a poor on-going rugby scrum again.

Hated: So many ACL’s in the first round.

Learnt: Having two good rucks going from ‘Do you play both and lose overloading Defense, to a clear advantage’.

Liked : Lions having a big week against WCE, now to back it up for 2 straight to get the Brisbane crowd on the band wagon for Rd.3

Hated : Rance going down Rd.1. Anytime a player has a season ending injury early in the season

Learnt : Dons now have a big Rd.2 against the Saints and Ross just got some breathing space for a must win against the Suns in Rd.2

Liked:
- Richmond’s first quarter with Lynch kicking the first goal. I appreciate the win with how the round unfolded even though we did not play our best.
- Brisbane kicking 91 to 20 against the reigning Premiers after half time. Amazing.
- Fremantle’s offensive demolition of North Melbourne. Fyfe looks like he is heading back to his best.
- Port Adelaide’s win away from home. They now have the speed to become one of the top sides.
- Hawthorn. They just don’t go away do they? A win in Adelaide against Adelaide is something I dream of for Richmond, yet they have not every lost there against them.
- The intense ending to the St Kilda vs Gold Coast match. Very thrilling.
- GWS turning it up. They look so good when they display their skills like that.
- Bulldogs’ midfield. Performed stellar and Sydney just could not do much could they?

Disliked:
- Richmond’s middle two quarters. They were pretty average. Hopefully we get closer to our best this week.
- Essendon’s effort. How you gon’ go through the motions in Round 1 hmmm?
- Melbourne’s midfield. It needs to be better than that although I personally rate Port Adelaide’s one.
- Adelaide’s forward line. What in the world was that display? Are Hawthorn’s defenders adhesive walls?
- West Coast’s start to their back-to-back campaign. Losing would be understandable, but I don’t think getting done by 44 points after being up by 27 points at quarter time is acceptable. Need to lift, but there are 23 rounds for a reason.
- North Melbourne in general. That was simply an obliteration and they really need to go back to the drawing board after that.
- Sydney’s midfield. Bulldogs were thumping their midfield and it was probably up there with North Melbourne in terms of copping a midfield thrashing. Simply not good enough if they are serious about a Premiership.

Learnt:
- GWS are looking as good as they did in 2016-2017. They are still the most skilful side in the competition and they may do what we all expected them to do for a while now.
- Brisbane are showing that the hype is real by dismantling the Premiers. What a statement. Looks like they’ll be hard to defeat at home.
- Fremantle and Port Adelaide are showing that their off-season hauls have been excellent. Port in particular look like they have nailed the draft with players like Rozee and Butters.
- Adelaide, Sydney, North Melbourne and Essendon have shown some alarming signs. While I believe that West Coast, Collingwood and Melbourne just had a down game, these four have shown some concerning structural issues on the field. They’ll need to get on top of that or else this season may quickly turn into a disappointing one.
- Hawthorn and Geelong do what Hawthorn and Geelong do - win. Doesn’t look like much will change this year by the looks of it.

Liked:
Upsets. And one of the non upsets.
Less rolling mauls.

Hated:
Commentators, just about everyone of them. Please ban anyone over 45 and anyone who can't tuck their shirt in, and anyone who speaks in Aussie macho slang like its the 70s. Give me the well groomed younger lasses and lads who speak well and behave professionally, provide insight, and who learn me something about footy. Those ex saints lads Nick and Del are good examples of what is needed.

Learnt:
The Roos Method, and his acolytes still believing a defunct religion, are, well, defunct. Will they go after Ross for his apostacy?

Liked: I think i picked a good SC team this year.
Footy is back
Tim Taranto is a gun
Lions win
Tipping 6. Missed on the pies and did not see that coming from the Roos

Disliked:
Anything and everything associated with the EFC. Pathetic from every level really.
ACL's :(
Can i say EFC again?

Learnt:
There are clubs who just know how to let their fans down.
Essendon, Adelaide and Melbourne supporters - i propose a weekly forum at a pub somewhere where we drown ourselves in the misery that is our clubs' "promise"

Liked:
Upsets. And one of the non upsets.
Less rolling mauls.

Hated:
Commentators, just about everyone of them. Please ban anyone over 40 and anyone who can't tuck their shirt in, and anyone who speaks in Aussie macho slang like its the 70s. Give me the well groomed younger lasses and lads who speak well and behave professionally, provide insight, and who learn me something about footy. Those ex saints lads Nick and Del are good examples of what is needed.

Learnt:
The Roos Method, and his acolytes still believing a defunct religion, are, well, defunct. Will they go after Ross for his apostacy?
Commentary is horrid at the moment.
The GWS v Ess game was so bad it made our performance stomachable. (I kid, but it was really bad)

Liked: GWS running

Learnt: The new rules will need more rules to fix them within a year

Hated: The kickout rule allows poor teams a free out from their defensive 50, which disadvantages more physical teams that have built their game around that strength over the past 3 or 4 years, e.g. Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked Lions pantsing West Coast and the fact i called Essendon's season a long one 10 minutes into the first quarter of JLT 1 and so far have been proven correct.

Hated the injuries and learnt to love again.

Liked- The footy being back, and the fact that this week delivered for a friend who was in Melbourne all week. He watched some great games at the MCG/Marvel, and his team got an upset win too

Learnt- This is going to be a long year from a tipping point of view

Hated- Our loss and the way it unfolded, but in all honesty, they deserved to win by a lot more. Credit to the lions and their classy fans, and enjoy the well deserved win

Last edited:
Liked
Port Adelaide's crop of debutantes.
Fremantle's game style.
Hawthorn's gutsy effort and the clash jumper is not bad, too.
Brisbane's win.
St Kilda vs Gold Coast - the bits that I saw...it was a decent game
Geelong vs Collingwood - not a great game skills wise because of the manic pressure, but it was good.

Hated
ACLs to Rance, Doedee and Vickers-Willis

Learnt
It's going to be a very even season.

Liked:
Starting the season on a positive, a nice change after the last few years.

Hated:
When a No1 fwd doesn't take the shot in the last few minutes to try and win the game. 2MP you are paid to kick goals yet you decided to kick to the hotspot. Disgraceful. Entertaining game though.

Used to like watching Ben Brown... all he does now is play for free kicks. Only way he scores these days.

Learnt: AFL development is working. So many kids coming in and playing good footy from their first game. Rising Star this week very hard to pick. Drew, Scott, Walsh, Constable, Clark, Powell, Butters, Parker.

Liked: The footy is back, I can breathe again.
The last quarter of the Dogs/Swans game was awesome, I actually like the outfit the Doggies had.

Hated: Season ending injuries in round 1 is just depressing, also the piss weak effort WC put in.

Learnt: The Giants are looking super slick and those Port kids are looking good as well.

Liked

The Lions - bold, young and explosive football team. Going places.
The Hawks - the heritage strip and the resilience of the playing group. James Worpel is a future 250 gamer.
Port - the run and gun of the kids. Great to watch and showed up Melbourne's weaknesses. Tom Rockliff is one tough bastard. Jack Watts, take a bow.

Hated

Marvel Stadium - the surface is a joke and watching on TV with the roof open is virtually impossible.
Season ending injuries - too many, too early in the season and robs the game of its stars.

Learnt

GWS are going to be in the mix again. So are the Cats.
Collingwood does not have the greatest midfield to ever play the game, despite what Matthew Lloyd thinks.
Jack Viney is a really imposing specimen but it doesn't really help if he isn't contributing to his side winning games. Melbourne also have zero outside run.
Essendon has serious issues.
Ben Stratton still has Eddie Betts number and the tall forwards at Adelaide are average at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back