Certified Legendary Thread The Squiggle is back in 2023 (and other analytics)

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Siren - has there been adjustment to the squiggle to make recent form more valuable in the rating than it previously was? While i expected some decent movement these look a lot larger across the board than you would expect from squigsy!

Final Siren - has there been adjustment to the squiggle to make recent form more valuable in the rating than it previously was? While i expected some decent movement these look a lot larger across the board than you would expect from squigsy!
I think Final Siren mentioned that squiggle is more sensitive to unexpected results in the early rounds. It was like that last year too. It’s just that this year featured a lot of unexpected results in Round 1.

I love a system which is perpetually wrong but still has you coming back for more.
Define "wrong".

And I'm interested in what you feel would make it 'not wrong'.

Define "wrong".

wrong - thinking your feeble human mind is better at consolidating all this data and coming up with a prediction that is better than squiggle

Define "wrong".

4 / 8 seems like the result someone who had never seen a game could get.

Consistent because the long term predictions are never right - beyond what the average punter could guess. And even the short term provides no greater insight.

But squiggles are fun and I suspect that is why people follow it.

Consistent because the long term predictions are never right - beyond what the average punter could guess. And even the short term provides no greater insight.

I'm sure your feeble human mind struggles to comprehend but there is a multitude of evidence throughout this thread that in fact Squiggle destroys the tipping performance of the average punter.

I'm sure your feeble human mind struggles to comprehend but there is a multitude of evidence throughout this thread that in fact Squiggle destroys the tipping performance of the average punter.

Im busy at work so I will start with Post #1 of the thread. Just simply horrible.

And while I didnt have West Coast even in the top 4, I had them in the 8. Along with Hawthorn. So even my biassed rose tinted glasses view of football seemed to do okay.

I can come back and find many more later on if you'd like.

Plus continue to post throughout the year while hundreds of posts discussing where squiggle went wrong and how small changes to the algorithm will get things back on track will be posted.

Im busy at work so I will start with Post #1 of the thread. Just simply horrible.

And while I didnt have West Coast even in the top 4, I had them in the 8. Along with Hawthorn. So even my biassed rose tinted glasses view of football seemed to do okay.

I can come back and find many more later on if you'd like.

Plus continue to post throughout the year while hundreds of posts discussing where squiggle went wrong and how small changes to the algorithm will get things back on track will be posted.

How about you post your tips and margins every week and we will compare you to the squiggle both on a tips correct and MSE basis. Also post your final ladder after each round and we will compare it to the squiggle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Final Siren mentioned that squiggle is more sensitive to unexpected results in the early rounds. It was like that last year too. It’s just that this year featured a lot of unexpected results in Round 1.
Yep, teams will move a lot more in the early rounds than they would later this year from the same result.

Each year, some teams will become a lot stronger or weaker than they were the previous season, so Squiggle is trying to capture that off-season change.

You can't tell a whole lot from one game, of course, but it's still a very significant data point.

This is the wrong round to criticize Squiggle's tipping! 5/9 when the bookies got 3/9, and thrashed the market on Bits (% win chances).

Anyone got squiggles prediction as of the end of rd 1 last year?

Guaranteed it had Eagles like 12th or something
Yep, didn't expect the Eagles to rise in 2018. Not many did, of course!

Did pick them to make the GF early in 2015, which was a good one. I think some dude still hasn't honored his bet to run naked across Subiaco.

Yep, didn't expect the Eagles to rise in 2018. Not many did, of course!

Did pick them to make the GF early in 2015, which was a good one. I think some dude still hasn't honored his bet to run naked across Subiaco.

Also was the first off the Fremantle bandwagon after their 2015 GF appearance :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back