Past Daniel Menzel - delisted 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't really take anything Garry Lyon says seriously any more. He's carved out a media career being a drama queen about everything and blowing little things way out of proportion to build hype. I get the importance of forward pressure but if Menzel's kicking 40 goals a year for us I think it's disingenuous to say he's also giving up 40 goals a year. We have some good young pressure forwards supporting him and a whole midfield and backline to get through as well.

Tim Watson's comments were a little more measured and probably valid. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I think he's best 22 but defensive accountability is in the Sydney DNA so Menzel will be challenged to develop the defensive side of his game to earn his spot.
Watson couldn't coach a choko vine over a trellis fence either. Possibly the worst St Kilda coach in recent times which is saying something. An apologist for drugs in sport with even less credibility than Lyon

Watson couldn't coach a choko vine over a trellis fence either. Possibly the worst St Kilda coach in recent times which is saying something. An apologist for drugs in sport with even less credibility than Lyon
Yeah I didn't say that we should sit adoringly at Tim Watson's feet. He talks a lot of crap as well but in this instance Tim didn't go for the overwrought hyperbole that Garry Lyon pumps into every statement.

Yeah I didn't say that we should sit adoringly at Tim Watson's feet. He talks a lot of crap as well but in this instance Tim didn't go for the overwrought hyperbole that Garry Lyon pumps into every statement.
No doubt Tim wouldn't play the Number 10 in this clip in his Essendon team either. Tackled like a turnstile. Well he might have kicked a few but defensively hopeless.

Stop playing the hindsight game, you can never win it. Leonardis, at the time, was exactly what we needed. Was talked up as having an outside game and some class, things we didn't have while our midfield was full of one-dimensional workhorse types like Kennedy, Hannebery, Parker and Jack. Dunkley, for all his assets, is basically everything we didn't really need at the time. I imagine some on here would have given a collective groan if we selected another midfield accumulator lacking pace instead of an outside type. So we didn't **** up. The logic was very solid, just the player wasn't right. A year later we definitely got it right when we got a classy outside player in Ollie Florent. Maybe the issue was that he wasn't born a year or two earlier.

Player type should have been irrelevant, Dunkley is AFL standard and Leonardis was not. He was barely NEAFL standard. They chose not to gamble on whether a very good player will leave, but chose to gamble on a pick in the 50s which would have a much lower strike rate.

You draft for talent, not need.

It made no sense then and it makes even less sense in hindsight and screams of complacency due to being in the window.

Edit: did not see the date of this post, hardly relevant now.

Last edited:
Most excited for the idea that Menzel being able to play deep forward could mean we dont have to park one of Parker or Heeney at full forward for extended periods of games and we get more midfield time from them that we desperately need.

I guess if he does it to Menzel and he goes on to kick two goals in a winning GF I won't complain too much.
It was interesting that a Menzel type forward in Darling (not very good defensively either just quietly) swung the game in this years GF. As the great Garry Brice once said "Finals games are not home and home games". They are completely different in terms of pressure. They tend to open up and teams that depend on defensive pressure usually lose. Maybe this why we do so badly under the current game plan in GF's? In big finals, games tend to develop into one on one contests through the sheer exhaustion of the pressure of the game. Morton and Goodes kicked critical goals for us as the Hawks defence became ragged when we last won a GF. Darling marked everything in the third quarter against the scum this year. Menzel will be a dangerous forward against tiring defences in a final.

Gary Brice sets out an enduring truth of football at 4 minutes 30. Bryce coached three flags in fours years.

Last edited:
I think Menzel's inclusion in the 22 will spell trouble for one of Sinclair or Naismith. I don't think we can have a forward line that consists of Buddy, Menzel, Reid and Sinclair. Yeah it's plenty of marking targets but too tall, especially if it cost a quick crumber like Ronke his spot. That means the only way Sinclair gets a game is if he continues on from this year as lead ruck, which means Naismith misses out. Alternatively, the only way Sinclair gets that lead ruck spot is if the club rates his ruck work better than Naismith's. They can't be in the same team IMO.

I think Menzel's inclusion in the 22 will spell trouble for one of Sinclair or Naismith. I don't think we can have a forward line that consists of Buddy, Menzel, Reid and Sinclair. Yeah it's plenty of marking targets but too tall, especially if it cost a quick crumber like Ronke his spot. That means the only way Sinclair gets a game is if he continues on from this year as lead ruck, which means Naismith misses out. Alternatively, the only way Sinclair gets that lead ruck spot is if the club rates his ruck work better than Naismith's. They can't be in the same team IMO.

Agree re playing both Naismith and Sinkers, though the new rules render faux rucks like Grigg and Towers redundant. That is unless one of the IC positions is reserved for a tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who cares...is it any different to the others that have off-season surgery?
It was the reason why he was struggling to get a game last year. 2 weeks of training and he’s already cooked. Groins can be the most frustrating of injuries for players and they can persist regardless of surgery. Geelong got sick of pumping resources into him for nothing. He’ll be an exhibition player for us like Sam Reid. Might sell a few extra tickets for the 1 game he’ll play

It was interesting that a Menzel type forward in Darling (not very good defensively either just quietly) swung the game in this years GF. As the great Garry Brice once said "Finals games are not home and home games". They are completely different in terms of pressure. They tend to open up and teams that depend on defensive pressure usually lose. Maybe this why we do so badly under the current game plan in GF's? In big finals, games tend to develop into one on one contests through the sheer exhaustion of the pressure of the game. Morton and Goodes kicked critical goals for us as the Hawks defence became ragged when we last won a GF. Darling marked everything in the third quarter against the scum this year. Menzel will be a dangerous forward against tiring defences in a final.

Gary Brice sets out an enduring truth of football at 4 minutes 30. Bryce coached three flags in fours years.

Comparing Menzel to Darling now? I am tempted to hit the report button.

Looks like at least 4 weeks for Menzel to be playing
The ex-Cat should be back into training in two weeks, with a look at playing at some level a couple of weeks after that, but he's likely to require at least a couple of games in the NEAFL before being considered for senior selection.
https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-03-25/menzels-debut-delayed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back