Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You've put Hunt against our best pressure player and highest for the game. Viney put on 25 pressure acts our 2nd best with Spargo who didnt get a tackle but alot of nearly tackles. Jones had 7 1 of our worst behind our defenders

I gave people a measure of what the best pressure act player got. Plus saying he beat Jones isnt anything to celebrate seeing as he should retire and it was one of the worst games of all time, despite the fact he was statistically better than Hunt in most of Hunts supposed strengths

Think you missed the point though, people think he brought run an carry and legspeed etc. But in reality he didnt. I was comparing him to the bloke who copped the most undeserved rinsing of all time from some of this board.

He only looks good against Jones in pressure acts but still well short of the best, and in intercept possessions.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I gave people a measure of what the best pressure act player got. Plus saying he beat Jones isnt anything to celebrate seeing as he should retire and it was one of the worst games of all time, despite the fact he was statistically better than Hunt in most of Hunts supposed strengths
Hunt had average stats in the 1s he should be good at he played alright not great but wasnt s**t house. He should trend upwards the other you mentioned has been going backwards since last year.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Thoughts?

Showed some good signs - one chase down on the wing I remember for HTB, then a great run and carry through the middle of the ground which resulted in a goal. That's what we want and need from him.

I really think he could be much needed game changer for us if May and Lever can come back and stay fit. A little less defensive responsibility could free him up to take the game on.
Yeah I thought he was fine. Absolutely nowhere near our worst.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thats absolutely not true in the slightest. A turnover is a turnover, there was one he marked at 70m out, kicked straight down the throat of a Port player who switched to the open side and they ran the overlap all the way for a goal.

Plus he when did he run 50m? He might have run 35m once.. 2 running bounces says he didnt get more than 20m very often running. So its just a Brayshaw turnover a little quicker

Metres Gained
Hunt 224
Jones 419

Hunt was rated 16th out of the 22 melbourne players selected.

I wasn’t arguing with you - just wondering if he had more metres gained than Jones. Sadly not.

I still think a bunch of backwards handballs to a teammate under pressure can sometimes not be as valuable as a 50m run and 50m kick which takes the ball from half back pressure to out of bounds in the forward 50 for a re-set.

Anyway your stats make a really strong point in this instance.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wasn’t arguing with you - just wondering if he had more metres gained than Jones. Sadly not.

I still think a bunch of backwards handballs to a teammate under pressure can sometimes not be as valuable as a 50m run and 50m kick which takes the ball from half back pressure to out of bounds in the forward 50 for a re-set.

Anyway your stats make a really strong point in this instance.
Going backwards obviously doesn't count as metres gained. banging it on ya boot and hoping for the best does. I said this ages ago but metres gained should include the next possession if you kick it 50 but its a turnover and opp goes on a 30m run n 50m kick ya possession ended up costing 30m or if you handball backwards 5m but ya team mate runs 15m n kicks it 50m you gained 60m from your possession. Reckon that's a more accurate way of finding out how damaging a player really is

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Going backwards obviously doesn't count as metres gained. banging it on ya boot and hoping for the best does. I said this ages ago but metres gained should include the next possession if you kick it 50 but its a turnover and opp goes on a 30m run n 50m kick ya possession ended up costing 30m or if you handball backwards 5m but ya team mate runs 15m n kicks it 50m you gained 60m from your possession. Reckon that's a more accurate way of finding out how damaging a player really is

Disposal efficiency and turnover stats are the overlay which can help work out whether a player with high metres gained is actually being beneficial.

I suspect Angus Brayshaw was excellent in this area last year (sorry I can’t be stuffed finding the stats here) but we certainly would benefit from 1 or 2 more..

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I think it's a start. That run from defence was fantastic. That chase down tackle was fantastic. But there were still clangers and still couldn't get enough of the ball. But at least it's a start. If he builds on that next week and does 4 or 5 fantastic things, then i think we'll have a reason to at least start to get excited about him finding form. We really do need him to..

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Disposal efficiency and turnover stats are the overlay which can help work out whether a player with high metres gained is actually being beneficial.

I suspect Angus Brayshaw was excellent in this area last year (sorry I can’t be stuffed finding the stats here) but we certainly would benefit from 1 or 2 more..
Yeah but you could kick it 40m to a 50/50 and its classed as effective yet it can still go straight over your head next possession. So you get % up and metres gained

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
There is a tonne more available too

Pressure acts
Hunt 14 ( ANB had 30)

Score involvements
Hunt 1
Jones 5

If you don't count the times he put himself or his teammates under pressure, ANB only had two pressure acts.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah but you could kick it 40m to a 50/50 and its classed as effective yet it can still go straight over your head next possession. So you get % up and metres gained

Yeah it needs to be something like metres carried + metres retained. Torping it to a contest like Brayshaw did counted as metres gained but Port had a 4 on 2 an took it back inside 50 just as quick. I agree that should be metres lost.

Where as as much as I hate to say it but when Jack Watts hits that chip kick into the corridor which makes it all the way to Westhoff he should get all the metres gained

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I had some serious doubts about his footballing ability last year, but he's been one of the only shining lights in our garbage fire of a forward line. Even with limited opportunities he's always looked dangerous this year and his finishing has been excellent. Gets separation on his defender (Sometimes the only one doing it for an entire game) and has had some excellent leads using his pace coming out of the square this year. Pressure has been good too and has really adapted well to a role he used to play at Casey very early days. Has taken some strong grabs under pressure as well.

One of the ticks for the season along with Salem, Hore, Harmes and Gawn. Seems to have really worked on his game and should be applauded for it. Would like a few more huge torpedo goals though

I had some serious doubts about his footballing ability last year, but he's been one of the only shining lights in our garbage fire of a forward line. Even with limited opportunities he's always looked dangerous this year and his finishing has been excellent. Gets separation on his defender (Sometimes the only one doing it for an entire game) and has had some excellent leads using his pace coming out of the square this year. Pressure has been good too and has really adapted well to a role he used to play at Casey very early days. Has taken some strong grabs under pressure as well.

One of the ticks for the season along with Salem, Hore, Harmes and Gawn. Seems to have really worked on his game and should be applauded for it. Would like a few more huge torpedo goals though
Agreed. He looked a bit lost early but has grown into the role well. Leads at the kicker often which is always good to see and uses his pace well. His hands on the deck have been impressive the past couple of weeks too.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bob Murphy believes 2021 could be Jayden Hunt’s year. The 25-year-old played six games in 2020, kicking 10 goals, those seven came across two games.

A move back into defence, coupled with the AFL’s new ‘stand’ rule and a settled Demons backline may all align to the benefit Hunt.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think we definitely want players running out of the back half. The faster the better. If Hunt can find some form he’ll be damaging.
I actually think it's the opposite, we need more running in the forward half to create overlaps for forwards and move the defence. All that happens when you sprint out of defence is you have no one long to kick too

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I actually think it's the opposite, we need more running in the forward half to create overlaps for forwards and move the defence. All that happens when you sprint out of defence is you have no one long to kick too
Realistically we want pace all over the ground. But seeing what we and did on Friday with Hunt and Carlton with Saad etc I think clubs will try and utilise lightning quick players off half back. This new man on the mark rule opens it up a bit.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Realistically we want pace all over the ground. But seeing what we and did on Friday with Hunt and Carlton with Saad etc I think clubs will try and utilise lightning quick players off half back. This new man on the mark rule opens it up a bit.

But it won't make a * of difference lol. The game isn't low scoring because of the man on the mark, it's because the campaigner with the ball is often kick it to a 3 on 1 because everyones in the defensive half and there's no forwards.

It's gonna make no difference to the game in the slightest until teams stop bring all their forwards up the ground.
Either that or you're kicking into a full flood and it doesn't matter if you can play on..

It's the most pointless rule change since hands in the back.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
But it won't make a fu** of difference lol. The game isn't low scoring because of the man on the mark, it's because the campaigner with the ball is often kick it to a 3 on 1 because everyones in the defensive half and there's no forwards.

It's gonna make no difference to the game in the slightest until teams stop bring all their forwards up the ground.
Either that or you're kicking into a full flood and it doesn't matter if you can play on..

Happy to agree to disagree. Coaches will adapt and use this rule to advantage of their teams assets.

But it won't make a fu** of difference lol. The game isn't low scoring because of the man on the mark, it's because the campaigner with the ball is often kick it to a 3 on 1 because everyones in the defensive half and there's no forwards.

Nah. Creates big opportunities for space around the mark since the MOTM can’t move.

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's both. The new rule means players with pace can burn off an opponent and not be stopped by the man on the mark creeping over to block their path. That will allow the likes of Hunt and Saad to break lines more often, which should disrupt the defensive wall 40-50m upfield as they will either draw a player up towards the runner creating a mismatch of numbers forward of the ball, or run to a point where they can kick over the tall defenders to space inside 50.
Topkent is right though - This running won't make a lick of difference unless we have short and long options, on the move, forcing defenders to take their eye off the ball carrier and scramble to cover the field effectively.

This kind of play is what I remember a lot about our 2018 season - except the genesis was more often a stoppage where we bullied the opposition, hit up theMelk 55-75m from goal who then had a lead-up target or someone running back hard to the goal square.

The biggest concern is Hunt will lack either the composure or skill to find the right option when he's at full tilt streaming out of defence. And if our forwards are stagnant, predictable and lazy that issue will be compounded as the only option will be a long, slow kick to a happy bunch of key defenders.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Nah. Creates big opportunities for space around the mark since the MOTM can’t move.
Yeah that's great, until he runs past the bloke on the mark and looks up and has no one to kick too because modern footy.

We literally were complaining on this board that we moved it too fast and that's why we wasted so many I50s yet apparently us going even faster again will help

Again ball movement isn't the reason scoring is down, teams get as many I50s as they did 20 years ago. More in fact.

Problem is it's either to a highly outnumbered or completely crowded forward line.

Playing on at HB won't change a bloody thing

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah that's great, until he runs past the bloke on the mark and looks up and has no one to kick too because modern footy.

We literally were complaining on this board that we moved it too fast and that's why we wasted so many I50s yet apparently us going even faster again will help

Again ball movement isn't the reason scoring is down, teams get as many I50s as they did 20 years ago. More in fact.

Problem is it's either to a highly outnumbered or completely crowded forward line.

Playing on at HB won't change a bloody thing
The thing is TK, this won’t be able to be utilised with every defensive exit. And I doubt anyone is suggesting that. Of course if the ball is locked in defensive 50 the forwards likely push up. But on a quick turnover it can create some opportunities for forwards to run into some space. Just need the kicker to deliver properly. Hunt doesn’t have the skills of Saad but can still be effective if it’s not going straight to the oppo.
This is something we’d have been training for so not like they are just going to bomb it to an empty forward line as part of a game plan.

Back