• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

McOrist

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
The East
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Bulldogs' strip tops Carlton's blue M&M's jumper for selling the club's soul.
...a bit of trivia for you. Andrew Balkwill played just one game in his AFL career. Round 3 1997 for Carlton against Adelaide at Princes Park. This was the pale blue M&M game. So the poor bugger can say he played AFL footy for Carlton, but he can't say he got to wear the famous old dark blue guernsey .

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George

At least Port's current clash strip is an "up your's" to the AFL's stupid selective teams must wear white clashes policy that the NRL also use but to a worse extent. And those XBlades style side panels ruin the Hawks away kit. Looks like a failed Gold Coast Suns concept guernsey

View attachment 641727

Surprised this one hasn't scored a mention. Most people hated it but I really like the lightening stroke design.

Port also have a history of rolling out poor looking guernseys like their 2004 heritage guernsey

1553511275998.png

And numerous horrible clash guernseys as mentioned earlier in the thread.

But they still don't top Carlton (twice) and the Bulldogs selling their guernseys to companies and cheating cyclists and in the former's case it's colours but at the end of the day, I found out today that the Blues and the Dogs have never lost in their corporate/cheating cyclists sponsored guernseys

Last edited:

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Port also have a history of rolling out poor looking guernseys like their 2004 heritage guernsey

1553511275998-png.641977

It's an accurate replication of that past guernsey, what do you want them to do? Alter their own design from the late 1800s/early 1900s?

Defeats the purpose of what was Heritage Round.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gold Coast's just for that logo. If they changed or removed that and made no other changes, then... hmm... I dunno, they're all pretty good. Probably GWS or, at a stretch, Hawthorn.
They the big three of bad jumpers.

GC with a silly circle thing looks like pyjamas for toddlers.

GWS looks like an artist convention for artists who can’t paint or draw.

Hawthorn whilst classic stripes have bodily functions colours. Epic fail.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm seeing a lot of hate for GC's, and a lot of love for Carlton's over on the other thread. And yet both are essentially a plain guernsey with a logo on the front.
Navy blue with white works.
Especially when they wear white shorts.

Ofcourse the best version of that was the Big V jumper - navy blue, white V and white shorts.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the problem with Ports guernsey is the same as the name Power. It just doesn't feel right for a club with a lot of tradition that should be known as the Magpies and play in prison bars.

I get the politics and that they had to give it up to get a gig in the AFL, but it's almost like the club didn't care when they couldn't have have what would have been right.
I’ve never understood why Port can’t wear the prison bars, black white with say teal edges or a teal stripe above the white horizontal bar, or teal inside the white bars.

Would look good.

Mar 13, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
At least Port's current clash strip is an "up your's" to the AFL's stupid selective teams must wear white clashes policy that the NRL also use but to a worse extent. And those XBlades style side panels ruin the Hawks away kit. Looks like a failed Gold Coast Suns concept guernsey

View attachment 641977

But they still don't top Carlton (twice) and the Bulldogs selling their guernseys to companies and cheating cyclists and in the former's case it's colours but at the end of the day, I found out today that the Blues and the Dogs have never lost in their corporate/cheating cyclists sponsored guernseys

That is probably the worst example anyone could come up with.

FootyGeek

Premiership Player
Feb 6, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
True fact, in 1986 Brian Taylor was the only Magpie who had five stripes on the front of his guernsey.

Not even the ruckman had five stripes.

Bristle was so fat he needed five stripes while everyone else just needed three.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea

View attachment 641977

I like the grey port jumper better than their actual home jumper. I also prefer the Hawks jumper with the brown V better than their stripped one. The crows jumper is horrendous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
True fact, in 1986 Brian Taylor was the only Magpie who had five stripes on the front of his guernsey.

Not even the ruckman had five stripes.

Bristle was so fat he needed five stripes while everyone else just needed three.

Haha... Really? That would be hard to live down.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
It's an accurate replication of that past guernsey, what do you want them to do? Alter their own design from the late 1800s/early 1900s?

Defeats the purpose of what was Heritage Round.

Magenta and Blue, even as a heritage jumper in my opinion don't fit together, but Port have definitely rolled out worse, in particular clash guernseys until the re-brand based off a Planet Teal guernsey.

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
Gold Coast and GWS. Perfect examples of the combination of new age marketing w***ery and trying to be different and edgy.

The result is two gimmicky guernseys in a sport with many great traditional style jumpers in more than just the AFL but also state and local leagues.
The Giants one is bad, but nowhere near as bad as GC. Horrible logo and given that almost every club has either yellow or a shade of red as a colour, they clash with almost everyone.

But Fremantle, Fremantle. They start out with a jumper with red, green and white. Colours are fine but they put it with the stupidest design in history. Great colours that could have a dominant green/bit of red combo that clashes with no-one. They then change to a boring but functional design in purple, the worst sporting colour there is. Except maybe Teal. Worse even than poo and wee. Old colours and new design would have been boring but would have at least worked.

Honourable historic mention goes to the Brisbane Koalas and the Brisbane Paddle Pop lion.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Magenta and Blue, even as a heritage jumper in my opinion don't fit together, but Port have definitely rolled out worse, in particular clash guernseys until the re-brand based off a Planet Teal guernsey.
Sure, I'll pay that. The royal mixed with the magenta didn't work. But my point is, what other option did they have when they chose that design? You can't touch it and improve a heritage design, because it's meant to be an accurate representation of the past :p

Port has really experimented with their clash guernseys, and failed miserably almost every time.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
The Giants one is bad, but nowhere near as bad as GC. Horrible logo and given that almost every club has either yellow or a shade of red as a colour, they clash with almost everyone.

But Fremantle, Fremantle. They start out with a jumper with red, green and white. Colours are fine but they put it with the stupidest design in history. Great colours that could have a dominant green/bit of red combo that clashes with no-one. They then change to a boring but functional design in purple, the worst sporting colour there is. Except maybe Teal. Worse even than poo and wee. Old colours and new design would have been boring but would have at least worked.

Honourable historic mention goes to the Brisbane Koalas and the Brisbane Paddle Pop lion.
I dont mind current Freo one, it's not great but it's acceptable and not offensive to the eyes.
Gold Coast have common colours and a terrible logo but at least the colours work. Orange, Charcoal and White is what I expect the colours to be for some high rise consultancy firm logo, its ugly to me as a Guernsey.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
How about the worst mascot?

I'm going with bombres, and the dockyards worker. Why not choose an IT guy as a mascot?

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers

If you'd spent 5 seconds on Google you'd know we always had purple (oh the horror!) on our jumper. If you're going to trash something then it helps to get the most basic facts straight. And it was still better than West Coast's ochre monstrosity

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
If you'd spent 5 seconds on Google you'd know we always had purple (oh the horror!) on our jumper. If you're going to trash something then it helps to get the most basic facts straight. And it was still better than West Coast's ochre monstrosity
I knew about and should have mentioned the purple at the start. The four colour technicolor yawn. And an anchor around the neck. Comedy gold, but not what you want on a football jumper.
As I said, the new jumper is fine, if a bit boring. If they did it with other colours it would be very much mid ranking. Way better than Port, GCS, GWS, Hawks for a start.
And the ochre. Best forgotten that. Some marketing executives wet dream idea.

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
GCS could wear pink tu-tu's and I couldn't give a s**t as long as they were playing decent footy.
Hmmm, I'll give Stewie a call and see what he reckons.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am biased but I think we have great colours and a great guernsey. But, whenever we’ve put the silly bulldog head on top of the hoops, even for clash guernesy’s, it quickly drops down to one of the worst in the game. Adelaide the same, great guernsey and clashes, but as we look to their history of clash jumpers, they are terrible too.

Back