Fremantle Dockers 2018/19 season watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Freo played excellent attacking footy yesterday but people need some Round 1 perspective seriously.

They play Gold Coast away & St Kilda at home in their next 2 games, so if they play like they did yesterday they should easily be 3-0. After that however the real truth will come out.

West Coast (away game)
GWS (away)
Bulldogs
Adelaide (away)
Richmond

Let's be honest, North Melbourne were terrible yesterday right from the start. For a Round 1 game to put up no pressure or even care on the ball carriers and then have a backline getting pushed off by their opponents and letting the forwards run off so easily it would have to be one of North's worst performances in a long time.

However for Freo who struggled to win many games last year it must feel great to start a season so well and good on them too.
100%. As a Freo fan it's easy to get carried away with one good performance (see Carlton game last year!) but the reality is we have to be tested against quality sides. I think this will be a long, brutal season and round one is never a great indicator of what will transpire.

The real positive for me is that Lyon showed he knows how to coach a young side to play attractive, high scoring football - he just needs to show he can do that against good opposition on the road.

All in all I'd rather this result than a lot of others over the weekend.

Yep I'm sure the players have already put the win aside and are preparing for next week, as fans we get to enjoy it a little longer but no one is getting ahead of themselves. We will need to see a lot more pressure being applied than what North did yesterday before we start to see what this team's really got.

But as long as they keep trying to play the way they did yesterday at least we should be in for a more entertaining year than what we've had for the last 3 years (and they have been sh*t) , regardless of what the final win/loss is and that will be pretty good start.

Last edited:
Yep I'm sure the players have already put the win aside and are preparing for next week, as fans we get to enjoy it a little longer but no one is getting ahead of themselves. We will need to see a lot more pressure being applied than what North did yesterday before we start to see what this team's really got.

But as long as they keep trying to play the way they did yesterday at least we should be in for a more entertaining year than we've had for at least the last 3 years, regardless of what the final win/lose is and that will be pretty good start.
GC just started rebuilding no need to worried about Metricon trip .

Regardless of opponent putting a score like that through is a good sign. Cesoir mentioned the Carlton game last year, difference was after a fast start we didn’t really go on with it in the second half (I think Carlton may have even won the last term).

Good games by Freo have had a particular pattern, hot starts with a breakaway score, then a grind, with neither team doing much scoring as the game draws on. Even when piling on crap opponents, it was usually the case that second halves were much worse than first halves

Yesterday was good footy in each quarter, with no lapses. Second half was arguably better than the first. North could be complete garbage, but we've played complete garbage before and still ground out a dull 40 point win. Yesterday was exciting, the most excited a Freo fan could be watching a game of footy in four years.

Getting ahead of myself here but I could see the Dockers starting 4-0 going away to meet the Giants in Round 5. Yeah it is just 1 round in, but let's say the Dockers have improved this season, even if they just improve slightly. And perhaps the Eagles have regressed, or more likely slow to get out of the blocks in Season 2019. That could all come crashing to a halt on the weekend if Freo get's rolled, The Eagles could also turn things around. Who knows. You'd fancy them to beat Gold Coast and the Saints in the next two weeks but.

Would be good to see the Dockers start 4-0. For the time being at least, the dream is alive.

I thought Freo played excellent attacking footy yesterday but people need some Round 1 perspective seriously.

They play Gold Coast away & St Kilda at home in their next 2 games, so if they play like they did yesterday they should easily be 3-0. After that however the real truth will come out.

West Coast (away game)
GWS (away)
Bulldogs
Adelaide (away)
Richmond

Let's be honest, North Melbourne were terrible yesterday right from the start. For a Round 1 game to put up no pressure or even care on the ball carriers and then have a backline getting pushed off by their opponents and letting the forwards run off so easily it would have to be one of North's worst performances in a long time.

However for Freo who struggled to win many games last year it must feel great to start a season so well and good on them too.
I agree with all of this. Great win but don't buy GF tickets just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were awesome on the weekend, gave us a complete pasting.

I certainly don't begrudge their fans getting up and about over a performance like that.

Were awesome on the weekend, gave us a complete pasting.

I certainly don't begrudge their fans getting up and about over a performance like that.
And rightfully so. In the last 3 years of rebuilding, Most of those Freo wins have been defensive, dour games when freo kick 12 or 13 goals and get wins by 20-30 points

Strong from start to finish. They never took the peddle off. Even when they played finals they had a tendency to back off when they.thought they had 1. But.

Only 1 game against shite opposition.

Been giving this team a whack for a while now, in may ways deservedly so. However, credit where credit is due.

They were virtually unrecognisable on Sunday. The run and attack was outstanding, 21 goals with a virtual no name forward line and further enhanced by the sheer amount of injuries/suspensions to key players

No close to jumping on them yet, North were dismal and applied little to no pressure. They get a rails run in the first 3 rounds so more willing to judge this team round 4 onwards.

Couldn't have done much more in round 1 in fairness. Good to see Mcarthy play a blinder, he looked like a man on a mission.

Strong from start to finish. They never took the peddle off. Even when they played finals they had a tendency to back off when they.thought they had 1. But.

Only 1 game against shite opposition.
Where is your confidence NO But , just go and buy GF ticket.

Ross Lyin saying fans would be happy that they fought to the end? What a muppet. Come out and say it was a piss poor effort and not acceptable. If he acted as a coach and not as a man in fear of his job he'd get more respect. Losing to the Gold Coast of all teams is an absolute disgrace. On the same token if he's responsible for their loss then he's also responsible for their great display the week before. That was so Freo like however to play good the way they did then undo all their hard work with a disgraceful effort like that on the weekend.

Ross Lyin saying fans would be happy that they fought to the end? What a muppet. Come out and say it was a piss poor effort and not acceptable. If he acted as a coach and not as a man in fear of his job he'd get more respect. Losing to the Gold Coast of all teams is an absolute disgrace. On the same token if he's responsible for their loss then he's also responsible for their great display the week before. That was so Freo like however to play good the way they did then undo all their hard work with a disgraceful effort like that on the weekend.
Don't get why you hate Ross so much . Geelong lost to Gold Coast in 2011 like 40 points .

I was at the ground. Gold Coast played well (like Gold Coast >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than North week 1). I don't have a problem losing that much.

Disappointed for sure, but it isn't some massive deal.

Gold Coast were a better team on the day, they'll shock a few teams this year. Obviously we need to improve in order to beat the Saints this week but in the end we weren't good enough

Don't get why you hate Ross so much . Geelong lost to Gold Coast in 2011 like 40 points .

Strange post, they were both completely teams and that game was 8 years ago? How does that have any relevance to this weekend or his post?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back