Preview Mid Season Draft

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought it would be good to have a mid season draft thread now that we have at least one position available with EVW going down.

Who were the unlucky players to miss out at last year’s draft?

Are there any state league players we should be keeping an eye on?

Remember players eligible for the mid-season draft must have previously nominated for an AFL draft or been on an AFL club list.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-07/midseason-draft-when-is-it-and-how-will-it-work

Last edited:
But is it confirmed we can pick with players on the long term injury list? (Seems legit and the whole reason for it but just making sure)

That’s my understanding of it, but they have to be off the active list for the remainder of the season, hence the reluctance to nominate Daw for a replacement.

Mar 25, 2002
37° 70' 12"
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That’s my understanding of it, but they have to be off the active list for the remainder of the season, hence the reluctance to nominate Daw for a replacement.

I think a month out that call will be clearer and of course the club is going to retain Maj and support him with his rehab. Obviously poor EVW opens a spot and who knows (touch wood) what is around the corner

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Honestly, we should be taking this opportunity extremely seriously.

It was clear at the time guys like Tim Kelly, Sam Mitchell, Scott Thompson, Aaron Davey, Harry Taylor etc were way too good for state league football and were high prospective picks at years end.

EVW will be available to be replaced, but I wouldn't be apposed to a few taps on the shoulders of guys just treading water waiting until the end of the year we have on our list.

We have the opportunity to sign 2-3 of these guys up and trial them in our own VFL side for the remainder of the year and extend their contracts and thus bypassing the draft.

Well performed 19 year olds are the other option as well.

Mar 25, 2002
37° 70' 12"
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What is frustrating is we could have signed someone up in Daw's spot and then expected that someone would go down for the season to replace him (preferably it would have been an ankle or shoulder in round 16 rather than an ACL in round 1). Now we're two players down (or about six if the prognoses for Jacobs, Walker, Garner and Xerri remain as negative) until the mid-season draft.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I think we should take a developing CHF. Just someone that can lead, mark and kick.

I purely think of it as a list building exercise, not needs filling unless we are truly ravaged with injury.

If we are in the bottom 3 come Rnd 11, we will have a top 3 pick. Take the highest rated player on our current draft board that had previously nominated for an AFL draft. Usually there's 1-2 players in the top 30 at years end, it's essentially potentially another top 30 pick.

We save a pick at years end and have the opportunity to extend his contract into a 2 year deal by years end after having a very close look at them.

It's that simple.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I purely think of it as a list building exercise, not needs filling unless we are truly ravaged with injury.

If we are in the bottom 3 come Rnd 11, we will have a top 3 pick. Take the highest rated player on our current draft board that had previously nominated for an AFL draft. Usually there's 1-2 players in the top 30 at years end, it's essentially potentially another top 30 pick.

We save a pick at years end and have the opportunity to extend his contract into a 2 year deal by years end after having a very close look at them.

It's that simple.
That makes a lot of sense. Though really what we should do is take Mason Fletcher before Essendon have a chance to draft him again and hold him ransom for their second rounder.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A top four selection in this draft basically holds the same value as a second-round pick if you're using it to take the best available prospect. There's generally at least one player in this pool each year that makes it into the first round as well, so it's a genuine opportunity to add some talent to the list.

If it's based on our record after six rounds then with our draw I can easily seeing us having one of the better picks. Our new recruitment team has been pretty good the last couple of years, so hopefully we're able to snag the next Tim Kelly, Scott Thompson, Isaac Smith or Ben Brown.

The draft also adds a ton of upside for teams that have a lot of early season injuries, as getting to try out 4-8 prospects for virtually nothing is an insane opportunity.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Honestly, we should be taking this opportunity extremely seriously.

It was clear at the time guys like Tim Kelly, Sam Mitchell, Scott Thompson, Aaron Davey, Harry Taylor etc were way too good for state league football and were high prospective picks at years end.

EVW will be available to be replaced, but I wouldn't be apposed to a few taps on the shoulders of guys just treading water waiting until the end of the year we have on our list.

We have the opportunity to sign 2-3 of these guys up and trial them in our own VFL side for the remainder of the year and extend their contracts and thus bypassing the draft.

Well performed 19 year olds are the other option as well.

Crikey, when you put it like that hawks and pies will be over exploiting this little pathway.

Back