Position 2019 Rucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fanfooty comments + twitter here and there, noone important but I missed a chunk of the Pies game so not sure if anything was visible
Looked fine in the game. Haven't read anything on Pies board. Think he should be fine

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Grundy had 12 touches, 28 hitouts and 95 SC points in round 1 last season, his lowest numbers for the year. I ain't worried.

He did look hampered by something during the game. The damning moment for me was early on in the game where he won a free kick just outside 50m. He handballed 2m to a teammate running to left against the boundary instead of kicking long inside 50m himself. The handball to the left wasn't even to a player that was winding up for a shot, they were too far out and ended up doing exactly what Grundy could have with a kick to the top of the square.

In addition to the above, his shot on goal was embarrassing. Every time he had to kick he didn't look right.

I'll hold, but certainly some concerning signs

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Teams figuring out that tagging Grundy and Gawn is effective is a bit worrying. After how well it worked for port on saturday and the eagles in the finals I think we'll see it more
Our finals series is exactly why I didn't start with either of them.
It worked too well for other coaches to not take it on board.

Lycett goes to Port. Ken views tape.
Round 1 Gawn gets smashed and Port win. Grundy gets smashed and Geelong win.

Round 2 Gawn's turn to play Geelong :think: Grundy plays Richmond on a 6 day break.

How does he have a Breakeven after just one game?

He’d have to average around 165-odd over the next two not to shed coin, I reckon.
But agree, B/E normally after first two games played, not only first
(Am assuming an initial MN of 5.2k odd, reckon it could be a bit higher to start this year due to rookie crop.)

CrozaN

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I am assuming that BE he got is for AF. Price changes already for them.

Won't be for SC, so would ignore.

Also who tags ruckmen lmfao?

Also as stevebbb mentioned and i pointed out too, he scored basically same round 1 last year, secondly he had a shocking game for SC.....5 FA's! + 6 Clangers and 55% DE..............gee if any1 of those wasn't so bad he would have gone 100+ or close too.....so relax guys

Everyone has a breakeven at the start of the year, it's basically one point below their previous season average. Princes might not factor in until after round 3 but the the breakevens still change.

CrozaN

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Everyone has a breakeven at the start of the year, it's basically one point below their previous season average. Princes might not factor in until after round 3 but the the breakevens still change.

yep, but his BE now means nothing, not till round 3 conclusion, either way, unless you're looking to get him in, not sure why his price or BE matters, he isn't someone you get to make money off or trade out.

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
yep, but his BE now means nothing, not till round 3 conclusion, either way, unless you're looking to get him in, not sure why his price or BE matters, he isn't someone you get to make money off or trade out.

Hypothetically if you were to roll the dice and trade him to Westhoff for example, pocket the 160K and Grundy drops 200K over the first 6 rounds and you bring him back in at 500K and he starts scoring well again.

Would you consider that a win?

Mar 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Supercoach GRIM REAPER!!!!!
Hypothetically if you were to roll the dice and trade him to Westhoff for example, pocket the 160K and Grundy drops 200K over the first 6 rounds and you bring him back in at 500K and he starts scoring well again.

I would.

May 15, 2017
My Couch
AFL Club
Richmond
So got bored and decided to do a bit of research on Round 1 Ruck stats compared to last year. I'm also interested in the stoppages numbers compared to last year too, but the AFL haven't released those yet, however I think it was pretty obvious from watching the matches that there were less stoppages.

I know it's only 1 round so don't take this as gospel but it might be a glimpse of how the new rules could negatively affect scoring for ruckmen in SC.

I've chosen to cover what I think is the top 10 most relevant ruckman this year. The avg hitouts of last year and of round 1 show a significant drop off in hit-outs for tap-out reliant ruckman. This could be because of reduced stoppages in matches due to the new rules, as well as the game flowing a bit more quicker from end-to-end, requiring ruck-man to cover the ground more to reach those stoppages, tiring them out more resulting in lesser effort at ruck contests.

Average Hit-outs:
Player: 2018 | RD 1
Grundy: 40 | 34​
Gawn: 44 | 21​
Martin: 34 | 16​
McEvoy: 30 | 23​
Westhoff: 8 | 0​
Goldstein: 36 | 34​
Nankervis: 25 | 34​
Sinclair: 29 | 44​
Stanley: 28 | 23​
Jacobs: 36 | 31​
Total avg: 31 | 26​
The stats below show that the only ruckman who tonned up in Round 1 were ones that kicked goals and helped out around the ground more, being Nank, Goldstein, McEvoy. Stanley also helped around the ground more and helped a lot in their win.​
Westhoff: 0 HTA. 5 goals.
1553556138579.png

Nankervis: 10 HTA. 3 goals.
1553556195832.png

Stanley: 5 HTA. 0 goals.
1553556299070.png

Goldstein: 9 HTA. 1 goal.
1553556341804.png

McEvoy: 6 HTA. 2 goals.
1553556476187.png

Sinclair: 13 HTA. 0 goals.
1553556525529.png

Gawn: 8 HTA. 0 goals.
1553556621886.png

Jacobs: 11 HTA. 0 goals.
1553557041301.png

Martin: 5 HTA. 0 goals.
1553557063846.png

Grundy: 7 HTA. 0 goals.
1553557160887.png

Feb 4, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets!
Does Mummy walk in to GWS starting squad when he's done his line...oh i mean time.
having a think about Gawn and all this chatter about his ****ed up skin and how he was targeted on the weekend potensially becoming a weekly thing.
timing is everything and it could just be Gawn>Mummy next week freeing up some big coin and hopefully not dropping many points per round.
not really gonna do it but like to think outside the box. :think:
could be a winner if Mummy can throw up 95-105avg.
not sure if Mummy has the tank anymore though...hard to say.
thoughts..?

ubeaut

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
St Kilda
AFL Club
Essendon
Does Mummy walk in to GWS starting squad when he's done his line...oh i mean time.
having a think about Gawn and all this chatter about his ****** up skin and how he was targeted on the weekend potensially becoming a weekly thing.
timing is everything and it could just be Gawn>Mummy next week freeing up some big coin and hopefully not dropping many points per round.
not really gonna do it but like to think outside the box. :think:
could be a winner if Mummy can throw up 95-105avg.
not sure if Mummy has the tank anymore though...hard to say.
thoughts..?
Another sub 100 score from either Grundy or Gawn and it becomes a legitimate option imo. Really wish I'd started Hoff though as Mummy is an injury/suspension/rest candidate.

Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Timberwolves

If he drops to 500k, why the * you want him? He be a cooked potato by that time.

Spacedog

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Our finals series is exactly why I didn't start with either of them.
It worked too well for other coaches to not take it on board.

Lycett goes to Port. Ken views tape.
Round 1 Gawn gets smashed and Port win. Grundy gets smashed and Geelong win.

Round 2 Gawn's turn to play Geelong :think: Grundy plays Richmond on a 6 day break.
Who did you start with? I think Grundy will be fine but I’m not sure about Gawn. He’s getting a lot of work put into him every week until he shows that it doesn’t work. If the same thing happens against Geelong i think im trading him out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back