Autopsy Autopsy: North Melbourne vs Fremantle: Round 1, 2019 - 82 point L (59-141) (No opposition posters)

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the self attaching magnets that can cause choking to the cardboard tear away (which I tore) perforated Fixture was one of the highlights of renewing my Membership

I thought that was a highlight of service
I swallowed my magnet, no choking issues at all.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Too soon? Was it the Giraffe comment?

It is a proven scientific fact stronger leg muscles protect against knee injuries, particularly strengthening the quadriceps (four muscles in the front of the thigh) and the hamstring (five separate tendons in the back of the thigh) while also balancing the strength between quads and hamstrings so the leg doesn't exert too much lateral force. There are entire regimes of exercises to strengthen the muscles and tendons that support the knee.

Wont help with sliding into a post but the Giraffe comment is that he goes to ground too much in contests and looks awkward when he goes to ground, that is something that will be reviewed as part of his rehab.

Patton might have a muscle imbalance issue, might have technique issues with how he bares weight, might just be s**t genetics when it comes to ligaments, it is hard to tell. The hamstring graft that replaces the normal tendon is usually around 4x the strength of the original tendon, LARS is something like 16x the strength and people still snap them, mechanical issues can be a significant contributing factor and I am sure they are going to go over EVW how he walks, how he bares weight from past videos, etc.

Something other repeat offenders have said about their rehab is particularly in relation to going to ground unnecessarily, it can put a lot of strain on the legs if you do not bare your weight properly.

Tas, I can’t help but think that EVW, himself, has thought all these things through. He strikes me as a cluey, level-headed type of guy. Some players tend to be injury-prone for whatever reason. I just hope things work out for Ed. He’ll be a great asset to the team if he can get himself right.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tas, I can’t help but think that EVW, himself, has thought all these things through. He strikes me as a cluey, level-headed type of guy. Some players tend to be injury-prone for whatever reason. I just hope things work out for Ed. He’ll be a great asset to the team if he can get himself right.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely, some people are just unlucky, as a professional footballer though you leave as little as possible to chance. Ahern went through a significant regime to get the strength in his legs and I think that is something EVW will have to do as well. It doesn't mean Ahern will never do another knee again, but it will hopefully reduce the risk of it. There are increased risks of doing an ACL again after having a reconstruction despite the reconstructed ligament being significantly stronger than the original, outside of freak accidents the issues I talked about is managing preventable injuries.

I'm also worried about Bailey Scott because his legs are skinny as well, but he seems to keep his feet in contests a lot more than EVW did and he has that cat-like agility where he can avoid getting tackled too much, which I think is the main reason he can play at his age against much bigger bodied players. If he starts getting crunched in tacles a fair bit though the club will likely "rest" him. We need to be mindful of the players and look after them.

Real statement game for North this week, I reckon! Another pathetic display and surely "tough guy" Scotty's neck is on the chopping block. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Real statement game for North this week, I reckon! Another pathetic display and surely "tough guy" Scotty's neck is on the chopping block. Thoughts?
I have a feeling the Club has no interest in getting rid of him as of this moment. Not much is really expected of us given the size of our club, and the talent on the list. As for Richmond, I would be sweating profusely going into that Preliminary Final rematch against the Pies. Making Cam McCarthy look good is one thing, but making Mason Cox look good is a whole another level of embarrassment.

My thoughts are you should join Ranceypants and pray to Jesus that your seasonm doesn't now fall down the shitter.

SPOILER ALERT - Jesus isn't real and your season is going to fall down the shitter.

It's become one big insulated backslapping clique down there mate. We're going to have to remove the entire administration before anything changes.

You don't get the impression that Brad gets any heat from the Board when he serves up this s**t.

The worst part of yesterday was that it didn't provoke a sound in anger out of me.

Years of empty words and inconsistent behaviour have become so endemic at Arden Street that the normal spontaneous thrills and disappointments were snuffed out of something I normally love.

There were enjoyable and deplorable moments within the game. But things stayed numb. Maybe because the JLT never struck me as merely some masterful "keeping powder dry" exercise and yesterday validated that suspicion.

Every year now just runs to the same basic script. We temporarily bounce back when expectations are lifted and then just as predictably s**t the bed once they raise again.

The club's board proclaim Brad as the right man for the job. Brad proclaims his belief in his leaders. His leaders declare the playing group are hurt and can't wait to atone. If we're lucky someone mentions "Shinboner". The club spruiks some generic Rocky Balboaesque always fighting rhetoric.

And then things collapse again. More empty declarations of belief in the process and an approach of clinical objectivity. Rarely any sincere feelings of hurt or atonement. Certainly not since Boomer hopped off the list. Just empty words from a man and a group who seemed to have kidded themselves that human psychology and achievement can be boiled down to a sterile process that can be started up and left running reliably like a machine, as if opponents and conditions will never ever expose a flaw in the approach - even when they do.
Excellent post and well said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been watching/flicking between 90 mins of footy shows - not one sentence. Inf***credible. Not a single shot fired at us.
No one cares.
Not true, i watched AFL360, and Whately and Slobbo were outraged and quite vocal that Cunners didn't get suspended :D
Whateley has become the Caro of the 2000's
AL mouthpiece who fence sits and wants to be everyone's mate
Just * off

I'm still coming to terms with J-Mac, Marley & L-Mac contributing 25 turnovers between them, and Brad blaming the forwards for not working hard enough.

It's just a hunch, but I reckon if half the sides defence gives up 25 turnovers, then it's impossible to win a game of football.

On this, what was Freo's final scoreline from turnovers? It was 12.7 at some stage during the3rd quarter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On this, what was Freo's final scoreline from turnovers? It was 12.7 at some stage during the3rd quarter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's the result, before you even look at how it impacts forward entries.

The worst part of yesterday was that it didn't provoke a sound in anger out of me.

Years of empty words and inconsistent behaviour have become so endemic at Arden Street that the normal spontaneous thrills and disappointments were snuffed out of something I normally love.

There were enjoyable and deplorable moments within the game. But things stayed numb. Maybe because the JLT never struck me as merely some masterful "keeping powder dry" exercise and yesterday validated that suspicion.

Every year now just runs to the same basic script. We temporarily bounce back when expectations are lifted and then just as predictably s**t the bed once they raise again.

The club's board proclaim Brad as the right man for the job. Brad proclaims his belief in his leaders. His leaders declare the playing group are hurt and can't wait to atone. If we're lucky someone mentions "Shinboner". The club spruiks some generic Rocky Balboaesque always fighting rhetoric.

And then things collapse again. More empty declarations of belief in the process and an approach of clinical objectivity. Rarely any sincere feelings of hurt or atonement. Certainly not since Boomer hopped off the list. Just empty words from a man and a group who seemed to have kidded themselves that human psychology and achievement can be boiled down to a sterile process that can be started up and left running reliably like a machine, as if opponents and conditions will never ever expose a flaw in the approach - even when they do.

To be honest, I was rather numb about this too. You see, our past round 1 performances (you know, our ability to prepare ourselves during the off season) are off the scale deplorable. See below

2010 L Port
2011 L WC
2012 L Ess
2013 L Pies
2014 L Ess
2015 L Ade
2016 W Ade Whale oil beef hooked
2017 L WC
2018 L GC
and now
2019 L Freo

I feel the same way King Corey. I lurk on here more than I post particularly when when we have suffered a humiliating loss and am hoping to find some sympathy and compassion after it. But I’m just so dis-engaged and seemed to have lost all passion for this club because of Scott. He’s like the David Brent of coaching. It’s just buzz or key meaningless words after this constant garbage. “Aberration”...”Ambushed”....”Bitterly Disappointed” and a complete Jaffa on the weekend...”forensic review “. If you have to undertake a forensic review after 100 minutes of football whilst being in the role for 10 years, you have some bigger issues than that. Some say we haven’t had the top end draft picks...we still have had early picks and they haven’t been duds for most of them. It’s 10 years to develop a ruthless,winning culture that sets standards and adheres to them but we are far from it. I’m almost certain we will win this week and bounce back but that seems to be the trademark under Scott. We seem to be always playing for redemption from the past.

I feel the same way King Corey. I lurk on here more than I post particularly when when we have suffered a humiliating loss and am hoping to find some sympathy and compassion after it. But I’m just so dis-engaged and seemed to have lost all passion for this club because of Scott. He’s like the David Brent of coaching. It’s just buzz or key meaningless words after this constant garbage. “Aberration”...”Ambushed”....”Bitterly Disappointed” and a complete Jaffa on the weekend...”forensic review “. If you have to undertake a forensic review after 100 minutes of football whilst being in the role for 10 years, you have some bigger issues than that. Some say we haven’t had the top end draft picks...we still have had early picks and they haven’t been duds for most of them. It’s 10 years to develop a ruthless,winning culture that sets standards and adheres to them but we are far from it. I’m almost certain we will win this week and bounce back but that seems to be the trademark under Scott. We seem to be always playing for redemption from the past.
Brad Scott is a dud.

I'm watching the replay and with four minutes to go in the first we are the better team and we're getting screwed by the umps. Freo's second goal (from the bounce in the middle) looked like it should have been bounced again (it looked like the ball was outside the circle after the bounce) and Goldy should have had a shot on goal from an infringement in the ruck.

Fyfe - holy diver batman!!

Last edited:
I'm watching the replay and with four minutes to go in the first we are the better team and we're getting screwed by the umps. Freo's second goal (from the bounce in the middle) looked like it should have been bounced again (it looked like the ball was outside the circle after the bounce) and Goldy should have had a shot on goal from an infringement in the ruck.

We should have had a 5 goal lead at quarter time.

Freo luck in to some breaks, some umpiring calls, we drop our bundle, they grow a leg..........................and on it goes.

Yep, sitting there Sunday all I could feel was indifference. Disgusting to watch, but just didn't seem to care. Considering its usually the one chance I get to see them a year, its concerning.

What was interesting at the game was that there appeared to be a lot less North fans than in previous years. And plenty of them muttering that they'd had about enough of watching North in Perth (I know we won here last year), the general sentiment was that we generally get trounced.
Can't help thinking our FIFO approach to playing in Perth, with no training and virtually zero supporter engagement (no opportunities to get pics and signatures for kids) is having a real impact on our WA support.
Supporters, and especially kids, want to be able to meet their heroes.

Yeah this definitely feels like the least engaged they have been over here with us. I remember attending training the day before at local grounds etc. Would be a hard sell these days if you had kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back