crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Clubs will have more flexibility to tweak their lists right up to the start of next season and a new mid-season draft will be held next year under new rules approved by the AFL Commission.

The mid-season rookie draft will be held in the AFL about round 10 in 2019 with clubs able to select players overlooked in drafts or those previously on a club list who choose to renominate for the rookie draft.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...son-rookie-draft-in-2019-20181004-p507sq.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
So what happens with the club they play for?

For example if this happened this year and Nick Hind was drafted by Hawthorn mid season.

Would Hind transfer over to Box Hill?

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
So what happens with the club they play for?

For example if this happened this year and Nick Hind was drafted by Hawthorn mid season.

Would Hind transfer over to Box Hill?

This is my sticking point.an AFL club can only select one of these players from there reserves team

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This probably won’t happen but let’s say a vfl team is going okay, what’s to stop a club from drafting a gun vfl player from a club at top of the ladder and then playing them in the reserves to help out their vfl team? (If that makes sense)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
This probably won’t happen but let’s say a vfl team is going okay, what’s to stop a club from drafting a gun vfl player from a club at top of the ladder and then playing them in the reserves to help out their vfl team? (If that makes sense)

an AFL club would not really care how their feeder club in the VFL is going. They want that feeder club to give experience to their younger players, they don't really care if that team wins much.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
^^Why would a team pick up someone just to play them in the VFL? Net gain is zero
Not that I think clubs will recruit to improve their VFL teams, but having a strong VFL team means they go deeper in the season and are still playing while AFL finals are on. That's certainly beneficial for the AFL team if they're in finals.

Also, picking up a good VFL player means you have added depth, a ready to go foot soldier if someone goes down with injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can they please just stop ******* around with the rules of this game.

Please.

They have to make Changes because it makes it look like they are Actually doing Something at AFL House

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
They have to make Changes because it makes it look like they are Actually doing Something at AFL House
This is why the rules committee make so many changes every year I think. To justify their big salaries that they are actually doing something.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I wonder if we'll start seeing mid season 'retirements' happen a bit more..

Definitely.

Not only that, I could see clubs paying out young players that are clearly just filling out the end of the VFL season before being delisted, placing them on the LTI etc, their angle would be they can prepare sooner for life after football etc. Alot of them could probably get some pretty lucrative $$$ leading into the second half of the local football seasons.

I think we will almost see the elimination of the state league player from the main draft because of this and the list supplement rules.

Eagles/Freo would of jumped on Tim Kelly as an example in his draft year.

Someone like Aaron Davey and Sam Mitchell both had stellar years at Port Melbourne/Box Hill that clubs would of been more than happy to woo outside of the draft constrictions.

Last edited:
I think clubs will still invest most of their resources into adding teenagers to their lists.

The draft net is cast so wide each year that the players that slip through each year is tiny. We might average one player a year that comes in mature and I'm including the guys who are one year older.

I expect the most popular players taken will be role players and nineteen year olds being picked up prior to the draft after a solid start to the year, like Brayshaw the Middle.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Definitely.

Not only that, I could see clubs paying out young players that are clearly just filling out the end of the VFL season before being delisted, placing them on the LTI etc, their angle would be they can prepare sooner for life after football etc. Alot of them could probably get some pretty lucrative $$$ leading into the second half of the local football seasons.

I think we will almost see the elimination of the state league player from the main draft because of this and the list supplement rules.

Eagles/Freo would of jumped on Tim Kelly as an example in his draft year.

Someone like Aaron Davey and Sam Mitchell both had stellar years at Port Melbourne/Box Hill that clubs would of been more than happy to woo outside of the draft constrictions.
I don't think the AFLPA would be too happy with that. Nor do I think it will be a good thing.

I'd hate to get to a stage like the NBA or baseball where the top sides are loading up mid year, the bottom sides are tanking and the middle class are stuck doing nothing.

Most sides have a legitimate LTI by midseason and should be able to add 1 player from the state leagues, that's a good result for the league, but I don't want to see it expanded to where teams are chopping multiple guys mid year and bringing in multiple reinforcements.

longsuffreosupp

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2002
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think the AFLPA would be too happy with that. Nor do I think it will be a good thing.

I'd hate to get to a stage like the NBA or baseball where the top sides are loading up mid year, the bottom sides are tanking and the middle class are stuck doing nothing.

Most sides have a legitimate LTI by midseason and should be able to add 1 player from the state leagues, that's a good result for the league, but I don't want to see it expanded to where teams are chopping multiple guys mid year and bringing in multiple reinforcements.

I think if they're good enough, why not? The chopped guys still have a contract that would be paid out.

The top sides may snag one, but they wouldn't risking team balance in going multiples. I would suggest that the top sides wouldn't need the help and also that they would be in the position they are at because they have a decent list.

I'm all for as much talent getting into AFL as possible. There are plenty of talented footballers out there that don't get a go for whatever reason, and there are also lower league dominators that cant adapt to AFL, but there also are some deadset spuds on AFL lists that get a decent enough go in the hope they play their role, or get better, that never do.

May 8, 2014
Adelaide Airport
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics, QPR
Current draft picks...

Adelaide - 1 Tom Doedee LTI
Brisbane - 0
Carlton - 1
Tommy Bugg retirement
Collingwood - 0
Essendon - 0
Fremantle - 0
Geelong - 0
Gold Coast - 2
Rory Thompson and Harrison Wigg LTI
GWS - 1 passed twice in the Rookie Draft, have only recruited Shane Mumford thus far
Hawthorn - 2 Tom Mitchell and Tim Mohr LTI
Melbourne - 0
North Melbourne - 1
Ed Vickers-Willis LTI
Port Adelaide - 1 Jake Patmore LTI
Richmond - 1 Alex Rance LTI
St. Kilda - 0
Sydney - 1
Kurt Tippett inactive
West Coast - 0
Western Bulldogs - 0

So as it stands now, only eight clubs would have a pick in the mid-season draft if it were held tomorrow

Edit: fixed Hawthorn and North Melbourne

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Current draft picks...

Brisbane - 0
Carlton - 1
Tommy Bugg retirement
Collingwood - 0
Essendon - 0
Fremantle - 0
Geelong - 0
Gold Coast - 2
GWS - 1 passed twice in the Rookie Draft, have only recruited Shane Mumford thus far
Hawthorn - 1 Tom Mitchell LTI
Melbourne - 0
North Melbourne - 1
Majak Daw LTI
St. Kilda - 0
Sydney - 1
Kurt Tippett inactive
West Coast - 0
Western Bulldogs - 0

So as it stands now, only eight clubs would have a pick in the mid-season draft if it were held tomorrow
North -Ed Vickers-Willis
hawthorn Mohr ?

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
I like the idea.
Dimma seemed to hint that we will take someone but not necessarily a key defender.
I think we are going to back in Garthwaight and Balta to cover Rance.
I wouldnt be surprised if we took another mid or 2nd tall for the defence

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Current draft picks...

Brisbane - 0
Carlton - 1
Tommy Bugg retirement
Collingwood - 0
Essendon - 0
Fremantle - 0
Geelong - 0
Gold Coast - 2
Hawthorn - 2 Tom Mitchell and Tim Mohr LTI
Melbourne - 0
North Melbourne - 1
Ed Vickers-Willis LTI
St. Kilda - 0
Sydney - 1
Kurt Tippett inactive
West Coast - 0
Western Bulldogs - 0

Edit: fixed Hawthorn and North Melbourne
Dunn for us now :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back