Review Rd 1, 2019: Geelong defeats Pies at MCG by 7 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get so tired of the stats vs observations argument on here. There are 2 types of Analysis, qualitative (Observational) and quantitative (Numerical). Both have their place, and neither tells the whole story. I know I'm pushing s**t up a hill by asking people to discuss the footy without dragging their bias for one form of analysis over the other.

Back on topic, I was very pleasantly surprised by our performance on Friday night. So many great moments, it is impossible to pick my favourite. Play that lead to the Parfait goal was definitely up there. Also the play that lead to Buckly making the face in my avatar deserves a mention for admiring the failure of our opposition.

If people start rejecting logic and stats cos it doesnt suit their view then you reduce yourself to be incapable of human debate. We may as well shut this forum down. By the way menzel had the same tackles in his last game as rohan did on friday. Not that it matters cos rohan had pysch pressure. Yes. pHysche pressure..... lets all say it again, pysche pressure.

People see what they want to see. Stats dont lie.

And he's injured again, so those stats don't really matter do they?

They'll have Menz for 6-10 games. Not constructive for a team to carry a player, injured, year after year.

He's moved on, so should you.

Get behind our current list.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seriously mate what is this?

We. Do. Not. Need. A. Two. Goal. Unaccountable. Forward.

Yes absolutely a player like Menzel has his place in football. He had great goal sense and was a quality finisher.

He also had - through no fault of his own - absolutely no ability to make an opponent accountable whenever the ball wasn’t in his hands, was able to apply no pressure (again not his fault) and was simply unable to bring any real pressure.

We have one of the best power forwards of the last decade.
We have a midfielder who in another universe could be a 50-60 goal forward. We have perhaps the most skilful player of the century who was also one time our leading goal kicker. We have two more midfielders who can easily average a goal plus a game.
What we didn’t have is players capable of keeping the ball forward, tackling, chasing, hassling, scrapping.

You are one of the biggest critics of what we were doing for the last 3 years. Why do you have such a moral objection to such a clear effort to redress the issues that led to our exit in those 3 years

Seriously deserve a thumbs up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely a new look forward line with all players trying to lock it in and create turnovers either directly or by forcing a rushed exit - lot to like about that

One little thing that I also loved - Miers laid a solid shepherd for Parfitt even though he was on the goal line and safe from being tackled
Shows a positive mindset and adherence to discipline which has been a question of late , if they all think that way can only be a good thing 👍
Miers also got in the way of Sidebottom and put a block on the instant there was a mismatch in our 50 and Hawk led away to mark the ball.

stats don’t lie is a ridiculous statement. they’re completely at the mercy of the person who is interpreting them.
Something like this old saying:

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments.

Reckon Rohan would give Wojo a run for his money. See him sprint down and bump the Collingwood player was incredible in the dying seconds! The dude has nitro!
Its amazing people complaining about Rohan yet he did stuff like that, and crash packs, things that don't warrant a stat. He pressured the Collingwood defense into some back clearances as well, no stat for that either. And people are acting like he was as bad as Menzel.

And if it wasn't for some indecision Rohan would have had a goal or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something like this old saying:

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments.
It's a pathetically stupid saying used by the uneducated in an attempt to justify their own biases. It's the type of saying that comes from Trump supporters.

It's a pathetically stupid saying used by the uneducated in an attempt to justify their own biases. It's the type of saying that comes from Trump supporters.
Please tell us how you really feel Seedsy! :D

WTF???

It's something that I was taught in every maths class & psychology class I ever studied and there's merit behind it.

Raw statistics and numbers can be useful, but they can be interpreted differently and used to back-up/defend different points depending on what you want them to say.

I'm happy to use statistics when making a point, but I also know the importance of being selective with what I use because one number may help your point but the next number hurts the same point.

I'm a data analyst these days. I have to say dismissing statistics because you can use them to lie is like never eating banana cake again because someone made one with mouldy bananas one day. Statistics, should be used to draw inferences, and make predictions. Not sweeping statements.

The fact that there are statistics for some things and not for others in our game means that players will always do things (both helpful and unhelpful) which aren't "measured". Is there a stat for shitting the bed when the easiest goal in the world could have been kicked? I can think of a Collingwood player who deserves one of those as well. Is there a stat for getting caught holding the ball after taking what the player clearly thought was a mark? For those things we need to just observe and go well thats helpful or not. Even the stuff that is recorded isn't perfect, or necessarily a great measure of players output. But dismissing it as irrelevant is folly.

Let’s be blunt. People say “stats are meaningless” when they don’t suit their argument.
I am not a stats person, but they certainly have merit... the issue is when people try to soley use them for an argument or say they never provide anything, as with most things the truth is somewhere in the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back