Random Discussion Thread 139- Slippery Slopes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Either way, the whole concept of "against the spirit of the game" is a bit daft.
Not really. "The spirit of the game" is an offical pre-amble to the rules of cricket, hence making that ideal in itself part of the rules.

It's like semi-pro Ultimate leagues having no umpires.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
When a batsman is just slowly ambling like that, but doing it early, I thought standard practice was to abort the delivery and "fake" a Mankad (don't actually remove the bails) as a warning. If you do that, and the batsman then continues to go early, then it's fair game IMO.
Buttler's been warned multiple times over his career. How much grace does he deserve?

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Buttler's been warned multiple times over his career. How much grace does he deserve?
IMO it should be done on a per-innings basis, for any player. One warning shot across the bow, then fair game. Any player who persists and ends up getting out that way multiple times in their career would be destined for a very short career, and would have no one to blame but themself.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
IMO it should be done on a per-innings basis, for any player. One warning shot across the bow, then fair game. Any player who persists and ends up getting out that way multiple times in their career would be destined for a very short career, and would have no one to blame but themself.
If that's what it comes down to, then whenever Jos gets out there, first ball that he's a non-striker I'm warning him. Third ball I run him out.

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Not really. "The spirit of the game" is an offical pre-amble to the rules of cricket, hence making that ideal in itself part of the rules.

It's like semi-pro Ultimate leagues having no umpires.
I wasn't meaning that games shouldn't be played in the proper spirit and civilly but when something is in the rules, I am not sure what the "spirit of the game" has to do with it. A lot of it seems old 'tradition' from a bygone era when it was a "gentleman's" sport. It is now fully professional and if there is a problem with the Mankad, change the rules. Otherwise, it's a run out as far as I am concerned. I am not saying just because you can do something, do it but I am not sure how it is different to any other run out if the non-striker is backing up to much too early. As I said, I do have a problem with a bowler deliberately balking to induce that (which is a fine line, I acknowledge).

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
I wasn't meaning that games shouldn't be played in the proper spirit and civilly but when something is in the rules, I am not sure what the "spirit of the game" has to do with it.
Yeah I get that; where I was going it that cricket, unlike many other professional sports actually has mention of conduct and the general niceties of the game as part of it's rules.

kane249 mentioned before about Soccer's nicety in that an opposition team will return the ball after it is kicked into touch so a player can get injury treatment. That's not in the rules. The Spirit of Cricket actually is, although it doesn't specifically state a batter needs to be warned pre-mankad, nor does it state much other than play hard and fair and have fun.

Etiquette is you are supposed to give someone a warning first as well.

For a soccer analogy for you HoneyBadger35 , it would be like a team that kicks a ball out of play because of an injured player, and then the other team scores a winning goal from the resulting throw in (eg what Arsenal did in an FA cup tie in 1999, the game had to be replayed as a result)

Just one of those unwritten rules

That's the only unwritten rule I can ever get behind, because it makes sense to me from a well-being point of view. If your guy gets hurt and the other team obliges in putting the ball behind or out, then yes, give it back, don't be a prick.

However, from my outsider cricket perspective, it's seems more like a soccer match that's tied in 90th minute, and a winger breaks past the fullback who goes down injured, while the winger crosses and the team score. The courteous thing to do is to put the ball out of play whenever you see an injury, but sometimes it's pretty much beyond any reasonable argument and you almost have to ignore the spirit of the game argument and take advantage in a crucial situation. Stay in your crease is a lot more manageable than don't get injured.

Wouldn't spirit of the game also say don't try to unfairly reduce the distance you need to cover to score a run?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Think of the Mankad as like a stumping. The striker wouldn't just wander out of his crease if he plays and misses. Why should the non-striker be allowed to do the same?

As some background, I played cricket for over 30 years and was taught to give a warning first, it's not part of the spirit of cricket, etc. In the professional age, my view has done a 180. Batsmen should not be allowed the advantage of backing up 2-3metres and have zero consequence.

The spirit of cricket needs to catch up to the laws of cricket.

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Any of you lads ever listen to The Dollop podcast? It's been around for a few years but I've just given it a listen. It's about Crazy historical events/people.
10 cent beer night at a baseball game is a great one and the guy that stole a tank in the US. Give it a crack if you like that sort of stuff.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0mww7NYI76KAHJtRhFZrOi?si=sX5ljSUKQkGMaWaVrIlUGQ
An APC (armoured personnel carrier) was stolen from Irwin Barracks and driven to Wembley cop shop where it was driven through a wall then into the city down St Georges Tce to the Supreme Court building before heading to the central police station. It was in the early 90's and a number of police and privately owned cars were damaged. This was all apparently in revenge for several beatings the perp claimed he was given by police over several years including a particularly savage one at the Wembley station.

Jun 28, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
An APC (armoured personnel carrier) was stolen from Irwin Barracks and driven to Wembley cop shop where it was driven through a wall then into the city down St Georges Tce to the Supreme Court building before heading to the central police station. It was in the early 90's and a number of police and privately owned cars were damaged. This was all apparently in revenge for several beatings the perp claimed he was given by police over several years including a particularly savage one at the Wembley station.

There was the one here in Perth and one in America both in the 90s. The guy in America dug a gold mine in his backyard and converted his spa into a sluice machine. Then charge people meth to help him🤣

Buttler was in his crease when Ashwin entered his bowling stride. The pause and mankad - purely because his side was losing - as a premeditated tactic to get back into the game? Dog act.

Just an exploitation of the rules, like the underarm ball. Good to see Ashwin is being howled down accordingly by a majority of cricket fans.

The fact Ashwin lied in the press after saying it wasn’t premeditated? At least own it you gutless wonder.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Does this guy look like NN or what?
Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 9.33.16 PM.png

Think of the Mankad as like a stumping. The striker wouldn't just wander out of his crease if he plays and misses. Why should the non-striker be allowed to do the same?

As some background, I played cricket for over 30 years and was taught to give a warning first, it's not part of the spirit of cricket, etc. In the professional age, my view has done a 180. Batsmen should not be allowed the advantage of backing up 2-3metres and have zero consequence.

The spirit of cricket needs to catch up to the laws of cricket.

Is it really a stumping though? The ball hasn't left the bowlers hand yet like it would in a stumping.

If a bowler comes in and doesn't release the ball, it's declared a dead ball and the batsman on strike can't get out. He could be standing out of his crease as well. It's just a weird inverse rule that the non-striker can be dismissed from this while the striker is safe.

I’m a total Kayo tragic now. Netflix has been punted by late night never ending live sports. It was rubbish in the summer but now with cricket, baseball, basketball, afl, football... hours and hours of dizzying excitement each more climactic than the last.
As soon as it’s available on the PS4 I’ll be punting Foxtel.

However I am a concerned it’s coverage is similar to that of Foxtel Go...ads are prominent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back