Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Has become a very bonafide mature player, he's consistent, he's a core part of the group and one of those guys you think of when you're describing a certain team of a certain era.

Given how much faith he's shown with us, he's one of those players you'd love to see on the stage after winning the Grand Final.

He clearly has hunger, if we were to make finals he'd stand up in a big way.

That's a very fair comment. Not only that, he is physically very reliable and rarely has a truly poor disposal under low pressure. Every time people complain about him I can't quite shake the feeling that it's not because of what he is - but what he isn't that they wish he was. I don't think he's indispensible but he is absolutely one player that I don't feel I need to worry about what I'll get week in week out.

Yeah I agree with this.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He works best in traffic. We play him largely on the outskirts of traffic. He loves to use his hips and acceleration to shrug of opponents and break open the field. He did it twice on Sunday in the middle and it was beautiful. Still think he will never reach his potential unless he moves in the middle semi-full time

Not any mongrel in him unfortunately. Has turned into a solid player, not sure why he couldn't run the wing? Has matured a heap and I don't think the forward line is his go. Has looked composed and more involved off half back in his brief stints this year.
We have Polec and Dumont who play the position better. They can also accumulate higher numbers. I think his forward defensive pressure in the first half of last year was pivotal to our great start and if we start getting players back he should contribute more

WesternRoo

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2007
Wattleup Stadium
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Club Oz Cougars
The Atley we have all hoped for and see glimpses of is not the reality.

We just have to accept this for what it is. He should be dropped. He should have been dropped last year and every time in the last few years at different stages.

The last role of the dice would be to turn him into a Jacobs style tagger.

What might have been with him, but sadly the ship has sailed.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The Atley we have all hoped for and see glimpses of is not the reality.

We just have to accept this for what it is. He should be dropped. He should have been dropped last year and every time in the last few years at different stages.

The last role of the dice would be to turn him into a Jacobs style tagger.

What might have been with him, but sadly the ship has sailed.

FFS mate, he was in our best 2 a week ago.

Would be a perfect tagger.
Actually dont mind the tagger call.

Has the wheels to keep up the burst mids like Danger, Fyfe and Cripps but could use his speed in the other direction for ‘slower’ mids like Pendles and Duckwood.

Interesting..
Yeah I floated that earlier in the changes thread.

With his attributes, playing him as a negating forward is a complete waste.

We lack pace around the ball.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Actually dont mind the tagger call.

Has the wheels to keep up the burst mids like Danger, Fyfe and Cripps but could use his speed in the other direction for ‘slower’ mids like Pendles and Duckwood.

Interesting..
currently in desperate need of another defensive mid like anderson or jacobs - atley could be it and help the midfield mix.

Shaun is no longer a terrible footballer.

He is an ok one who has an ok game every now and then a poor game now and then but most of the time is average.

In summary he will go down as the worst footballer to play 200 games in history.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
I’m not against this, also not against Turner having a go through the middle.

Need to get them involved in the game more.
Actually Turner’s defensive mindset and campaigner fortitude could make him a tagger in the pig greenwood mould.

What’s his tank like?

Back