Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
One of the better free agents available and due for a nice pay rise Regardless of if he stays or goes.

Gets to be the main man with Rance out for the year which will help that pay rise also.

What’s he worth? $650-750k?

There’s been talk over the last few days he’s close to signing an extension which is good news for the Tigers.

And possibly the Bulldogs if Naughton stays forward.
Yep, absolutely.
Boyd's contract is reducing and we had the money to offer Wingard last year and Hurley the year before a sizeable contract, plus we've lost Hamling and Adams in the past couple of years.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
He'll be 29 next year so I reckon it will be one final 3 year deal at the Tigers before retirement. I think players want to be one club players unless theres significant reasons not to. Dont underestimate the strong connection he has to play again with his best mate Rance and help him get back to footy as Rance once did with him.

Also, I'm not sure Astbury is the defender you go out and pay massive can't refuse overs for to pry him away from a club he doesnt want to leave. In recent memory, the Tigers just dont lose best 22 players they want to keep, and rarely do those players want to leave.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Astbury was offered a good deal from Brisbane 4-5 years ago and went for a medical and was looking like just about a done deal, Would certainly have been on much better money there than at Richmond and it was Astbury's choice to stay.

Only way i see him leaving is if its a very big difference in salary, He will be on roughly $500k-$550k at Richmond so thinking it would need to be 200-250 more

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Astbury was offered a good deal from Brisbane 4-5 years ago and went for a medical and was looking like just about a done deal, Would certainly have been on much better money there than at Richmond and it was Astbury's choice to stay.

Only way i see him leaving is if its a very big difference in salary, He will be on roughly $500k-$550k at Richmond so thinking it would need to be 200-250 more
It may also come down to length. A team may even offer him five years which could see him play until he is 33. I think a club like Hawthorn could back themselves in on a deal like that.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
It may also come down to length. A team may even offer him five years which could see him play until he is 33. I think a club like Hawthorn could back themselves in on a deal like that.
Well he will be 29 by the time he plays a game in 2020 and a 5 year deal would bring him to 34 years of age - Thats a risk

Personally i believe it would have to be the $$$ over a 3 max 4 year deal that would move him
St Kilda , Gold Coast , Bulldogs , Pies would all have to have an interest i would think

Personally I would not blame him if he decided to leave and take the $$$ , Richmond would need to replace him and We currently have Garthwaite and Miller in the reserves as well as Balta but would need to find a replacement

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Well he will be 29 by the time he plays a game in 2020 and a 5 year deal would bring him to 34 years of age - Thats a risk

Personally i believe it would have to be the $$$ over a 3 max 4 year deal that would move him
St Kilda , Gold Coast , Bulldogs , Pies would all have to have an interest i would think

Personally I would not blame him if he decided to leave and take the $$$ , Richmond would need to replace him and We currently have Garthwaite and Miller in the reserves as well as Balta but would need to find a replacement
He would only turn 33 in the year of his last season. He would turn 34 the year after he theoretically retired.
Hawthorn have a pretty good history and are probably in a position where it’s worth the risk for someone like him.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
He would only turn 33 in the year of his last season. He would turn 34 the year after he theoretically retired.
Hawthorn have a pretty good history and are probably in a position where it’s worth the risk for someone like him.
Could but dont think just offering 2 years longer would entice him to leave, There would have to be significant increase in $$$

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Not even close to 600K player some of the money you guys are have post... lol this guy has been exposed and i always knew he would without Rance, last year some we're calling him even better than Rance even some Richmond supporters on facebook n stuff, He has always been a poor user and is slow uncoordinated in all our games last year that we lost he was always one of the worst players in our team. Rance always covers for him and points where to kick it.

Swans don’t have a key defender and did chase after Moore last year.
Do you think they would give him a lucrative offer or something reasonably high over a longer time?

Not even close to 600K player some of the money you guys are have post... lol this guy has been exposed and i always knew he would without Rance, last year some we're calling him even better than Rance even some Richmond supporters on facebook n stuff, He has always been a poor user and is slow uncoordinated in all our games last year that we lost he was always one of the worst players in our team. Rance always covers for him and points where to kick it.
I rate him as a better one on one defender than rance but he is not the all-round player rance is.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't see giving Astbury big money as a smart move for any football club.

He's a good player but is he moving the needle enough for your team when alternatives like Ambrose, Collins, Hartigan, Roughead(Coll) can be found at a fraction of the price.

Smart clubs will save their cap space for players who fill a much more valuable role.

Back