Preview Changes vs Geelong

Silly way of looking at it. He is better than any kid we'll get in to play ruck, don't give a stuff about contract length its not like we're paying him 800k a year.

People are forgetting Preuss is 23 which is young for a ruckman.

Gawn turned 23 in 2014. That year he averaged 15 hit outs, 10 disposals

4 years on in 2018 averaged 45 hit outs, 18 disposals

Now I'm not saying Preuss is going to be Max Gawn, but a long term contract makes sense for a ruck man of his caliber.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Seems like there’s a good chance we see KK this week.

Was surprised Goody wasn’t asked about Viney’s condition when he met with the press.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Define “underdone” for me please. Not fit? Hobbled by injury? Either? Something else?

All Australian sport terminology references back to steak. "Underdone" means a player wasn't ready to go; "cooked" means a player is done (finished, career over, kaput), "medium rare" means a player has exhibited juicy pink tenderness and "bloody" means you have poor taste in steak.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It's good to see that we took to complaining to the umpires about Gawns treatment instead of calling on our players to do something about it

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
All Australian sport terminology references back to steak. "Underdone" means a player wasn't ready to go; "cooked" means a player is done (finished, career over, kaput), "medium rare" means a player has exhibited juicy pink tenderness and "bloody" means you have poor taste in steak.

😂

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
It's good to see that we took to complaining to the umpires about Gawns treatment instead of calling on our players to do something about it

Hopefully we plan on doing both moving forward, although Saturday we didn’t seem much interested in it.

I like to think AVB would have had something to say about it.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hopefully we plan on doing both moving forward, although Saturday we didn’t seem much interested in it.

I like to think AVB would have had something to say about it.

Well our main enforcers when fit were AVB, Jones, Viney, Kent, Vince, Lewis. Plus May doesn't take s**t from anyone.

Only Jones an Viney played an both were too busy playing like s**t to stand up for anything.

Next week will hopefully be different

Sorry to intrude but, Grundy got absolutely annihilated by the Cat's rucks.

Stanley is extremely mobile and Grundy just couldn't keep up. Similarly with Ratugolea who looked dangerous everytime the ball hit the deck. Perhaps Preuss could be useful in the rucks and Gawn could occasionally park deep forward with Weideman/T Mac playing further up the ground to help with the transition?

In Grundy's defence he had a fairly interrupted preseason but i think definitely Stanley was the most important player on ground for the cats especially late in the game with Grundy tiring out.

I think this will be an interesting selection.

What about 'stick a fork in him'

I took it as we were clarifying just how much retaliation we can get away with.

But I guess we will see on the weekend.

I took it as we were clarifying just how much retaliation we can get away with.

But I guess we will see on the weekend.

Yeah I took it as that too.

Also heard Nathan Jones say that if it happens to Max again we will be targeting opposition ruckmen in the same way.

Pretty much every team does this, all I had to do was google 'seek clarification from umpires'

Its not a dumb idea. Alerting the umpires to it means they'll look at it more closely and it will discourage teams from using the tactic. I'm sure the players have been instructed to give Gawn a bit more help at the same time.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Pretty much every team does this, all I had to do was google 'seek clarification from umpires'

Its not a dumb idea. Alerting the umpires to it means they'll look at it more closely and it will discourage teams from using the tactic. I'm sure the players have been instructed to give Gawn a bit more help at the same time.

They didn't do anything illegal outside of the Jonas hit though which was paid a free kick.

I'd rather our captains an our specifically targeted tough inside midfield deal with it rather than hoping for a couple of free kicks.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't think Stanley will have any issues with Gawn, he'll be focused on winning the contest not playing the man.
He's not the type to play the man anyhow, playing great footy himself atm.

They didn't do anything illegal outside of the Jonas hit though which was paid a free kick.

I'd rather our captains an our specifically targeted tough inside midfield deal with it rather than hoping for a couple of free kicks.

Like I said, I expect it's both. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Don't think Stanley will have any issues with Gawn, he'll be focused on winning the contest not playing the man.
He's not the type to play the man anyhow, playing great footy himself atm.
Ryder and Lycett bumped Gawn a few times and worked him over, but it wasn't anything all ruckman don't do to their opponents on a weekly basis. It was the Port midfield who bumped him, elbowed him and worked him over any chance they could that did the damage. This is a very similar tactic to the one WCE used in the prelim last year. So it will be interesting to see if Geelong use the same tactic where their mids go out of their way to target Gawn and try and take his mind off the job and to wear him out so his impact around the ground is limited.

The response from our players will be looked at closely by all this weekend. If we get smashed again this weekend the microscope will be firmly on us yet again. We were very lucky Essendon and Kangas were so poor last week and to a certain degree Adelaide.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Ryder and Lycett bumped Gawn a few times and worked him over, but it wasn't anything all ruckman don't do to their opponents on a weekly basis. It was the Port midfield who bumped him, elbowed him and worked him over any chance they could that did the damage. This is a very similar tactic to the one WCE used in the prelim last year. So it will be interesting to see if Geelong use the same tactic where their mids go out of their way to target Gawn and try and take his mind off the job and to wear him out so his impact around the ground is limited.

The response from our players will be looked at closely by all this weekend. If we get smashed again this weekend the microscope will be firmly on us yet again. We were very lucky Essendon and Kangas were so poor last week and to a certain degree Adelaide.

Ok l see what you mean, but our mids are ball players too, besides we've got a few young blokes in there now.
I want them to bring in Abbott our 2nd best ruckman imo, plays alot like Ryhs very fast and good on the ground.
Personally l don't think they'll play him even though you guys are talking about 2 rucks.
Will be a hard contest now you've talked it up, l reckon it's a good test for us so happy you give it your all. Cheers!

Back